Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Dough Question

I'm gonna have a go at some dough.  Actually...my wife is gonna do the hard work and I'm gonna throw it in the egg later. 

I was looking at a recipe from King Arthur and it basically says you need to mix it up, let it rise for 60 minutes, stretch it out, rest 15, stretch again, rest again...

My question is- if you want to do some of this ahead of time is that OK?  Can you mix the ingredients, let it rise for an hour, then put the do-ball in the fridge? 

Thanks!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

Comments

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Yes, just make sure you give it plenty of time to come to room temp before ready to use.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited October 2012
    Thanks! I "like" that answer! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Ha... You can leave in fridge for a few days to allow fermentation to happen and get more flavor developed in the dough.
  • Its not that simple, almost though.  
    7-1/2 Cups Flour
    3 Cups Water @ 110-115 degrees
    1 Packet Instant or Active Yeast
    1 Tbs salt
    1 tsp sugar

You will have to account for geographical differences like altitude and temperature in your recipes.
    You may have to add more flour or water.  Everybody makes it different, however, you have a good start here.  This recipe is for King Arthur Bread Flour in blue bag.  Use a mixer unless you have big forearms and like the workout.  Mix time is at least 10-12 minutes.  Form it into a ball and put it in a lightly oiled bowl, cover and let raise until doubled usually 60-90 minutes.  Punch it down and let raise again for about 45 minutes. This batch will yield 4 nice dough balls that will make 10-12 inch pizzas. Cook at 500-550 in the egg for 8-12 minutes.  There are a lot of variables in toppings and density that affect cook time.  Go for it!

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    I've found that not punching the dough down once (as you do for bread) really makes the pizza easier to form.  Knead your dough, toss it in the frig, let it warm thoroughly when you are ready, and form the pizza.
    I've been a bit of a pizza fanatic and am still tinkering with dough recipes, and now you've got me hungry.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Using the Kitchen-Aid cement mixer, we make enough for four or five 13" pies at a time. One is used after the first rise, the others are frozen or "fridged" (is there such a word?). The frozen ones, allowed to thaw in the fridge, then warmed to room temp before use, make a slightly thinner crust.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Thanks all!  We decided to just leave it out for a few hours rather than put in in the fridge and then take it back out.  It turned out great.  Deep dish pizza.  Pics to follow once I sober up tomorrow.  \m/

• I make mine in batches of 3.  Use one and freeze two.  Works just fine and so does letting one sit in the fridge overnight.  Just my experience.
    My actuary says I'm dead.