Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Epic Fail - Venison

Hey everyone, so I have only had venison twice. The first time I tried it was really really dry, too dry to really enjoy it. This second time, my neighbor gave me a loin which I was determined not to overcook. I wrapped it in bacon, slow cooked it indirect heat, wrapped in bacon, for 275. I know I didn't overcook it since it was still juicy. However, the taste was just terrible! I couldn't finish my first bite.I ended up throwing the rest away,  I think my neighbor had it in his freezer so perhaps it wasn't fresh enough? I was told that I should have dipped the meat in milk to take away some of the game flavor out of it?, wouldn't this defeat the whole purpose of cooking game meat? 

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Did you remove the "silver skin"? It can have a very strong flavor.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • hm, not sure I did, it looked like it was ready to go. At least my neighbor didn't mention anything. 
  • travisstrick
    Google image it.
  • yes, for sure. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I am certainly no expert...but some people just don't like the taste of venison.  My wife won't swallow it.  Don't take that last sentence out of context.  This is a family forum and all. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    what did the deer eat?  there is a big difference in venison taste, from venison in the northern pine bush and venison from the corn and alfalfa fields.  If it was a bush deer it can have a "woodsy" taste.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• A lot depends, too, on how the deer died.  If it died right away, or if it ran for a time before it died.  Running makes the meat more gamey.
    Brighton, IL (North East of St. Louis, MO)
  • Maybe the meat was "tainted" during the gutting out the Deer...not done correctly it will not taste good no matter what you do to prepare or cook the venison.
  • GLW
    GLW Posts: 178

I've cooked a lot of deer and I will not eat any of it without soaking it overnight in buttermilk.  I've done all kind of things to "tame" the taste and buttemilk just works the best. 

I wrap in bacon and smoke around 250 and pull and wrap at 140 internal.

When in doubt add more pepper.
  • Whaler
    Whaler Posts: 110
    Could of been killed while in rut....or ran with dogs before killed.
    Pensacola,FL
  • May have been left out in the heat for hours before field dressed and put in a cooler.
    Cookin' on the coast
    Shellman Bluff, GA
    Medium BGE

• travisstrick
    Could have been poisoned by Russians. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited October 2012
    Russians?!  C'mon, the cold war is long over.  More plausible - The deer could have been confused from epizootic homorrhagic disease, wandered out on to the highway where it was killed by a garbage truck.  Transported via garbage truck into the landfill outside of a very large pig farm, pulled from the landfill by hungry bears, who dumped it into a waste water treatment settling pool, then pulled out by wolves (who are less picky, by the way) out back to the side of the road where your neighbor found the deer, butchered it and stored in his freezer. 

:D
    The deer could have been confused from epizootic homorrhagic disease, wandered out on to the highway where it was killed by a garbage truck.  Transported via garbage truck into the landfill outside of a very large pig farm, pulled from the landfill by hungry bears, who dumped it into a waste water treatment settling pool, then pulled out by wolves (who are less picky, by the way) out back to the side of the road where your neighbor found the deer, butchered it and stored in his freezer. 

Now that's just silly.
  • nolaegghead
    The deer could have been confused from epizootic homorrhagic disease, wandered out on to the highway where it was killed by a garbage truck.  Transported via garbage truck into the landfill outside of a very large pig farm, pulled from the landfill by hungry bears, who dumped it into a waste water treatment settling pool, then pulled out by wolves (who are less picky, by the way) out back to the side of the road where your neighbor found the deer, butchered it and stored in his freezer. 

Now that's just awesome.

• When I kill a deer a I always skin it and get it in a cooler asap.  Once the deer is quartered out and all of the meat is in the cooler I let it soak it salt, ice, and water for a few days.  I add salt, ice, and water once a day.  This helps draw the blood out of the meat and no one has ever complained about my venison being gamey.
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    I bet the venison was just not good.  Not cared for properly after kill, meat too old, etc.  Venison can be very good grilled...I have had some that was just as good as any beef steak.  That said, I prefer it chicken fried with a little cream gravy.

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • GLW
    +1 on chicken fried.
  • nolaegghead

edited October 2012
    I'm partial to the diseased deer killed by garbage truck, then its Weekend at Bernie's adventures until your neighbor does you a favor explanation. 
    Flint, Michigan
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    So a loin is about the best part of a deer. I soak in allegro wild game and slow cook. Beyond tender and juicy. So either 1) you messed up (we all do) 2) bad meat 3) combo.
    Boom
  • SandBilly
    SandBilly Posts: 227
    So a loin is about the best part of a deer. I soak in allegro wild game and slow cook. Beyond tender and juicy. So either 1) you messed up (we all do) 2) bad meat 3) combo.
    Yep, most people do not know how to take care of wild game. Guts need to be out and hide off ASAP, hung in cooler and chilled. I've never soaked in water/ice because Ive always heard it caused bacteria to build, idk. I generally let the meat hang for at least a week in a cooler. You do not know how the meat was handled before packing, it could be part of the reason for bad taste.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited October 2012

Your neighbor is cleaning out his freezer for the upcoming season.  The loin sat in his freezer for a while.

No need to soak venison in buttermilk.  Ask him for another loin in Nov/Dec. 

;)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• I do a lot of venison, have my own "little butcher shop" set up. Improper in the field care and butchering practices, I believe account for the complaints about strong "gamey" taste. We like to butcher as quickly as possible and we don't hang the deer for any length of time unless day time temperatures are below 35°.
  • Older deer leads to much stronger tasting venison. Farmed venison is always much less gamey because the animal is slaughtered younger and its diet has been controlled. Serving something sweet along side compliements the game flavour, a blackberry sauce is good or in stews adding chocolate helps (dark chocolate, 70%+ cocoa)

• GLW
    Focker said:

Your neighbor is cleaning out his freezer for the upcoming season.  The loin sat in his freezer for a while.

No need to soak venison in buttermilk.  Ask him for another loin in Nov/Dec. 

;)
    I disagree. Been preparing venison for many years and buttermilk marinated has won out every taste test I've done.

However, some folks I guess do prefer a more gamey flavor.