Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My attempt at Chilean Sea Bass

Options
cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
Thanks for everyone's input earlier tonight:

I took bits and pieces from everyone and it all turned out fabulous.  The weak point was the asparagus, but I quickly made a second attempt that turned out much better.

I seasoned the sea bass with S&P and raging river.  The combination of the sautéed carrots and mushrooms along with the tomatoes, lemon slices, thyme, tarragon and parsley added so many different flavor notes to every bite.  Will definitely do again!! :)

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    That looks incredibly good.  Sadly, I'm not cooking tonight other than the baba ganouch I made from the grilled eggplant from yesterday.  Now I'm hungry.
    Options
    You did good my friend.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Love the veggies.  Was the fish cooked in a paper pouch?
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Thats it, brother. You nailed it. Good pics too. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • cazzy
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Mickey said:
    You did good my friend.
    Thanks sir!  It was a good meal.
    Love the veggies.  Was the fish cooked in a paper pouch?
    Yes.  Cooked in a parchment paper pouch.
    Thats it, brother. You nailed it. Good pics too. 
    Thanks bruh.  Means a lot coming from a fish guy!  lol   ;)
  • travisstrick
    Options
    That looks incredibly good.  Sadly, I'm not cooking tonight other than the baba ganouch I made from the grilled eggplant from yesterday.  Now I'm hungry.
    Isnt baba ganouch a Styx song?
  • nolaegghead
    edited October 2012
    Options
    If it ain't, it should be. 

Domo arigato....DOMO! DOMO!
    Options
    Every time I hear or read Chilean sea bass I think of the Jim gaffigan hot pocket joke.
    Boom
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Every time I hear or read Chilean sea bass I think of the Jim gaffigan hot pocket joke.
    haha...which one?

"There is the vegetarian Hot Pocket for those of us who don't want to eat meat, but would still like diarrhea."
    Options
    Nicely done, Sir! I'm in awe.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    edited October 2012
    Options
    @Nolaegghead - "i've never eaten a hot pocket and thought . . . geez, i'm glad i ate that~! you'll never see hot pockets served at a nice restaurant. *in snooty waiter voice* today our specials are the chilean sea bass which is broiled or a hot pocket, which is prepared in a dirty microwave. *in patron's voice* is your hot pocket cold in the middle? WV - sir, its frozen . . . but it can also be served boiling, lava hot. PV - will it burn my mouth? WV - sir, it will destroy your mouth. everything will taste like rubber for months. hot pockets~!"
    Boom
  • cazzy
    Options
    Griffin said:
    Nicely done, Sir! I'm in awe.
    Thank you sir!  A pretty easy cook that I will definitely do again.  
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    looks great!  I love seeing people try new things like this, it is why I frequent this place!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Wow that looks amazing!  I got together with some neighbors once and they cooked it in an electric skilled with a light breading.  I gotta say- it was excellent.  This way looks even better!  Healthier too.  Did you cook the parchment on the egg raised direct as LS suggested?  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• burr_baby33
    Options
    I would like to know more about how to cook fish with parchment pouch.  Assume raised, direct...what else?
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    @cazzy Glad it worked out for you. Looks great!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    edited October 2012
    Options

I would like to know more about how to cook fish with parchment pouch.  Assume raised, direct...what else?
    You want to bake - so indirect.  You can use your oven too - not much smoke taste will permeate the paper.

You can use parchment paper, foil, butchers paper, etc.  The idea is you put your food in the paper (you'll need some moisture - that can come from the food itself (fish, veggies) or you can add wine or some other liquid), and season it the way you want it.

You fold the paper over and use a rolling technique to seal it completely.  There are videos on this technique.  The idea is to keep all the steam and moisture inside.  The paper will expand helping keep it in.

Options

You want to bake - so indirect.  You can use your oven too - not much smoke taste will permeate the paper.

You can use parchment paper, foil, butchers paper, etc.  The idea is you put your food in the paper (you'll need some moisture - that can come from the food itself (fish, veggies) or you can add wine or some other liquid), and season it the way you want it.

You fold the paper over and use a rolling technique to seal it completely.  There are videos on this technique.  The idea is to keep all the steam and moisture inside.  The paper will expand helping keep it in.

Parchment is permeable to an extent and a little bit of the smoke flavour gets through. If you do mussels, clams, shrimp and mild fish you can taste it. Isn't mich but it is there.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Little Steven and nolaegghead thanks. I would have never thought to seal in parchment on the egg. I only used it for pizza. Did use in oven.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• GLW
    GLW Posts: 178
    Options

Thanks for sharing Cazzy.  My wife is on this new seafood kick and i'm trying my best to find things that don't tast like seafood  ;)  

This looks great even if it didn't originally eat grass.

When in doubt add more pepper.
  • burr_baby33
    Options
    Thanks a lot guys.  Sounds perfect for halibut since it can quickly dry out if left on a couple minutes too long...pretty trickey and not very forgiving.
  • LongboardR
    Options
    Wow! I love how Chilean Sea Bass has a translucent appearance when raw. Excellent fish and nicely done!
  • cazzy
    Options
    I actually cooked it raised direct nola...granted it was about 3 inches above the felt since I used my adj rig.  I pretty much only cook brisket, butt, ribs indirect.  I didn't list pizza because I haven't done one yet.

@Mickey Give the pouch a whirl.  I've done Tilapia in a pouch a few times and it comes out great every time.  I didn't think about doing it with the sea bass until LS and Nola pointed it out.  I'm glad I did because the results were fabulous.

• cazzy
    Options
    Thanks again to all that offered suggestions in my other thread.  Love this board!
  • travisstrick
    Options
    I have some amberjack that needs to be cooked. I think I'll try a pouch. Great thread.
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    The Plating looks awesome. I am in Awe.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• cazzy
    Options
    TUTTLE871 said:

The Plating looks awesome. I am in Awe.

Nah...it was a good camera angle lol