Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yet another loaf entry: Meatloaf Wellington

Options
SmokeyPitt
SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
I didn't realize there was a meat loaf throw down going on this weekend, but apparently I too have entered.  I was inspired by by this Fattie Wellington post by @70chevelle.  I was going through some of my bookmarks and ran across this.  I believe in that post one of the comments mentions Meat Loaf wellington so I thought I would give it a try.  

I searched for recipes and ran across this one.  The only thing I did differently is I sauteed the mushrooms in olive oil, garlic and red wine before I mixed them in.   While I prepared the loaf, I got the egg lit and ready for about 250.  I also unwrapped the puff pastry sheets to defrost on the counter.  

Here is the prepared loaf:

When the internal temp reached 140, I pulled it from the egg.  Here are a couple of pics of the cooked loaf:

When I removed the loaf from the egg, I raised the temp to 400ish and added a pizza stone on a raised grid.  I then wrapped the loaf in Puff pastry and brushed a little egg wash on top and put it back on the egg for about 20-30 minutes. 

Sliced Pics:

This was pretty darn tasty.  To be honest, the meatloaf was so good it could have stood "on it's own".  The puff pastry was really good, but as you can see in the pics I sort of overlapped the ends and it was a little too doughy.   This is my first time working with puff pastry...and I learned you want to get it nice and even.  I should have cut off the excess on the ends.  My kids actually all ate the meat loaf out of the middle and left most of the pastry behind.  It was kind of cool to try smoking and baking in one dish. 

Oh yeah- I did mix up the sauce suggested in the recipe and I heated it on the egg in a little pot for a while.  It was a simple ketchup, brown sugar, worsey, and dry mustard...but it was really good.  I served it on the side. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

Comments