Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

High Que Grate is the GREATEST

Options
2»

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    yzzi said:
    Before I make this a Christmas gift for myself, has anyone tried drilling out holes to make slots in the standard grate? Seems like it wouldn't be too much work with a vice and a sawzaw or something. Anyone Experiment with this before I do?
    Yes.  Just to show it can be done, I put the cast iron grate in my drill press and drilled a bunch of additional vent holes between the factory holes.  Cast iron drills like butter. 

I already had the high-que grate, so I just drilled a few holes.  Not having used it, I can't attest to the durability.

Options
    Hogsfan your right on with the cleaning up of the ash. Every time I build a new fire I take the ash tool and scrape it back and forth an till all the ash falls through the the holes, dust going every place. See you guys latter I'm going to Home Deficit, so I lose the small lump. 
  • hogsfan
    hogsfan Posts: 128
    Options

hogsfan said:
    Here is the 2 Weber grates mod on the XL. I just happened to do this about 2 weeks ago. I even posted on another forum that I didn't think the XL needed a High Que a few days before I realized the Weber grates fit and gave this a shot. I still think the XL doesn't "need" it in the sense that my medium absolutely needed it on long cooks, but the difference in heat up speed and ash clean up after the cook is spectacular. Best 26 bucks I could have spent on my XL.

Hope this helps. 

Are these the 22" Webber grates?
    Hey John,
    I just saw this. Sorry. Yes, but it's the charcoal grate for the 22. Not the cooking grate. They measure about 17 inches across (almost identical size to the factory XL grate).
  • hogsfan
    Options
    Ellis said:
    Hogsfan your right on with the cleaning up of the ash. Every time I build a new fire I take the ash tool and scrape it back and forth an till all the ash falls through the the holes, dust going every place. See you guys latter I'm going to Home Deficit, so I lose the small lump. 
    Totally agree. The ash clean up part was a totally beating. Now it's a non-issue entirely. Worth it for that alone. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,476
    Options
    High-Ques on both my Large and Small, really helped the pizzas on the Large and wokking on the Small!  

A question though for Hogsfan:  The High-Ques are bars going one direction only, but you've doubled two charcoal grates in a checkerboard pattern.  Are the bars further apart?  Have you tried using just one Weber grate?    

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    Question: with the larger openings is it harder to hold lower temps without a BBQ guru or something similar? What about smaller pieces that would burn would they fall through now?
    Boom
  • Baysidebob
    Options
    hapster said:
    I have also pulled the trigger... Just ordered the grate for my Large along with the Nomex gasket. Even though I got the replacement from BGE, I think the one from High Que is more what I am looking for...
    Why is that?  I'm wobbling between hitting up BGE or going to High Que.  Paying for the gasket is not an issue for me.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,476
    Options
    Question: with the larger openings is it harder to hold lower temps without a BBQ guru or something similar? What about smaller pieces that would burn would they fall through now?
    More pieces fall thru with the grates, but I could see thru the screened intake that they just burn on the bottom of the Egg (probably faster than the lump above, as they're getting the first blast of fresh oxygen).  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    had trouble with my LBGE so i made a grate myself works perfect haven't had any issues at all 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • hogsfan
    Options
    Botch said:
    High-Ques on both my Large and Small, really helped the pizzas on the Large and wokking on the Small!  

A question though for Hogsfan:  The High-Ques are bars going one direction only, but you've doubled two charcoal grates in a checkerboard pattern.  Are the bars further apart?  Have you tried using just one Weber grate?    
    Yes. The main reason I criss cross them is because with only 1 grate the charcoal that falls through is too big to fit in the hose from my shop Vac when i clean out the egg. If you don't use a shop vac with a 2 and half inch hose, you can probably get away with just 1. I had the same problem with the hi que grate in my medium. I used a charcoal grate from a smokey Joes to essentially accomplish the same purpose. That mod was a pain because i had to cut that grate to fit first...this one was way easier So I did not even hesitate with it when I did this weber mod for XL. Really easy to slap 2 stock grates together and very little extra $ to go with 2. Plus, I feel like I'm getting more complete burns of the lump.
  • Zick
    Zick Posts: 190
    Options
    Own an xl and I assure you no need for it.
    When was the last time you did something for the first time? - Zick Boulder, CO
  • brycos
    brycos Posts: 137
    Options
    I've done something similar to hogsfan in my KJ.  A side benefit from using these is that I've started lighting my fires from the bottom with 4-5 pages of newspaper.  Kinda like using the egg as a charcoal chimney starter.  It's quick and easy.
  • maximus1
    Options
    I just purchased a weber charcoal grate that is the same size as the cast iron charcoal grate on my Large BGE, seems identical to the High Que, but it was only 8 dollars.  The seller said it was rated to in excess of 1000 degrees.  Obviously I am concerned with possible warping, has anyone out there tried it?  Where I purchased it has the largest collection of Egg Accessories, and BBQ items I have ever seen, and the seller was the owner who has been in business for 40 years, so i respect his opinion. Its one of those old school hardware stores, entire basement is Egg's and BBQ's.  I will let everyone know if it works, if not I am only out 8 bucks and will go with the High-Que.   
    2 Large BGE, 1 Small.  
  • Buckdodger
    Options
    Have the standard grate in my LBGE that has about a 2 1/2 inch crack in it...ordered the High Que grate today. Sounds like everyone that has gotten one is happy with it. Can't wait to get er installed. Doing two butt's for tailgating this W/E. War Eagle !!!  

Opelika, Alabama
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Options
    Duganboy said:

The XL grate has much bigger holes than the large.  Standard grate in the XL is excellent.

Agree completely for the XL

Used the Que on the small and it's a nice addition.
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • hogsfan
    Options

maximus1 said:
    I just purchased a weber charcoal grate that is the same size as the cast iron charcoal grate on my Large BGE, seems identical to the High Que, but it was only 8 dollars.  The seller said it was rated to in excess of 1000 degrees.  Obviously I am concerned with possible warping, has anyone out there tried it?  ...
    Mine hasn't warped yet on my XL but I expect it to at some point since they eventually always used to do so in my Weber grills. Having said that, it's not a big deal. If it bothers you, you can just flip the grate over and warp it back. Besides, it's not like the cast iron grates that come with the eggs don't warp. I used to have an old medium BGE and the fire grate looked like a bowl with holes in it. lol.