Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

look at my butt - porchetta

McNuttly
McNuttly Posts: 99
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum

Given the feathers I ruffled yesterday with my comments about reduntant posts and butt posts, I've decided to add a redundant post about a butt. 

Porchetta is a good alternative to typical pulled pork.  Very simple, even less hands on than a normal low & slow butt if that's possible.  Seasonings are simple, rub down with salt & pepper then cut slits all over the butt & jam in garlic cloves & rosemary, coat everything with olive oil.  Into a vessel of some sort & into the egg at 400 or so for about an hour, flip, let it go another hour (all uncovered), then add water, celery, herbs & any other aromatic you want then cover & pop back on the egg, lower the temp to maybe 350 & let it go until done - a typical 8lb butt will take maybe 5-7 hours total from start to finish.  Then remove the meat, strain the juice, shred the meat & re-incorporate with the juice & it's done.  Served best on good rolls with sharp provolone (didn't have any here), hot peppers & some broccoli rabe.  A couple of these pictures are from a prior similar cook but the main shots are all from a couple weeks ago:

Comments

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Nicely done...those flavor profiles appeal to me much more than traditional BBQ. Thanks for posting!
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Interesting. Never seen a butt prepared that way. Looks really good. So...the lid is on the entire cook?

Too close to lunch, shouldn't have looked at this. Now its goonna make my pathetic lunch even worse.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    That looks great.  I have seen one like this before:

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Nicely done...those flavor profiles appeal to me much more than traditional BBQ. Thanks for posting!

Thanks, and I agree to a large extent - I'm a big fan of more standard rubbed & smoked pork & do them as often as these, they're both good, the mood dictates which one gets done. This variety keeps much longer at a party, it can float in the juice endlessly (if it lasts that long) without drying out so it has that advantage over pulled pork

Griffin said:

Interesting. Never seen a butt prepared that way. Looks really good. So...the lid is on the entire cook?

Too close to lunch, shouldn't have looked at this. Now its goonna make my pathetic lunch even worse.

No, the lid is off for the first about 2 hours, I go high heat 400-450 for an hour which gets some beautiful color & crust to form, then flip & go anywhere from 30 minutes to another hour uncovered to be sure the entire surface has a nice crust, then add the water & other stuff & put the lid on, back to the egg at a lower temp till done.  This is one of those cooks that really isn't benefitted all that much by the egg as it has no added smoke, a flavor that really wouldn't work well in my opinion.  I imagine it does get a little from the lump and that's fine, but this entire cook is accomplished equally well in any oven.  But you know how it is, have egg ignore oven seems to become the mantra
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

So McNuttly is Zippylip? I would never have guessed.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• That looks great.  I have seen one like this before:
    I saw that too, I think that guy stole a lot of my pictures, dirtbag that he is
  • Griffin said:

So McNuttly is Zippylip? I would never have guessed.

that's an outrageous accusation.  Have you considered the possibility that Zippylip is McNuttly?
  • SmokeyPitt
    Zippy was incredibly creative so I think you should consider it an honor that he chose to steal from you.   Impersonation is the highest form of flattery. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    WHAT??? McNuttly is an obnoxious, superior ass and zip is, well zip is....never mind

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SmokeyPitt
    I remember this guy Massengil on the old forum.  He was SUCH a D-bag! 

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    @McNuttly, thanks so much for this. Porchetta is merely called "Italian pork" in Philly. A sandwich place in the Reading Terminal Market just won "Best Sandwich in America" from Adam Richman for its version with rabe and sharp provolone. They use fresh ham. 

Here, it's often cooked with thyme and sage, too. Everything is cut small and mixed with just a tad of EVOO. DiNic's slathers soy sauce on top before using just a rub; basil, oregano, a bit of salt and garlic powder.  

I really appreciate the technique tutorial. Man, this stuff is great. I just might have to make it this weekend. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Little Steven
    Hence the name I think

Steve 

Caledon, ON

•  
    Zippy was incredibly creative so I think you should consider it an honor that he chose to steal from you.   Impersonation is the highest form of flattery. 

I disagree, he was an overrated hack, just ask stike who rightly pointed it out on a regular basis, despite his own overrated hackness, guess it takes one to know one

WHAT??? McNuttly is an obnoxious, superior ass and zip is, well zip is....never mind
    I defy you to find one obnoxious, superior ass like statement that I've made.  To the contrary, everything I've said has been 100% accurate which is not difficult because I am smarter than you. 

I know nothing of this referenced Massengil character, so I am unable to comment
  • jlsm said:
    @McNuttly, thanks so much for this. Porchetta is merely called "Italian pork" in Philly. A sandwich place in the Reading Terminal Market just won "Best Sandwich in America" from Adam Richman for its version with rabe and sharp provolone. They use fresh ham. 

Here, it's often cooked with thyme and sage, too. Everything is cut small and mixed with just a tad of EVOO. DiNic's slathers soy sauce on top before using just a rub; basil, oregano, a bit of salt and garlic powder.  

I really appreciate the technique tutorial. Man, this stuff is great. I just might have to make it this weekend. 
    you don't say.  I glossed over some of the ingredients but when I mentioned herbs above in this particular case I used Thyme and Tarragon, could not get my hands on any sage that particular weekend, but at the end of the day it's the rosemary that brings the majority of the flavor.  Also missing is worcestershire sauce which I was out of, a few tablespoons added post-straining really brings a nice flavor to the entire cook
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Whoever you are...the end result looks much better on the new pics.  Those shots of the pulled pork look flipping awesome.  Great post!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Little Steven
    McNuttly said:

I disagree, he was an overrated hack, just ask stike who rightly pointed it out on a regular basis, despite his own overrated hackness, guess it takes one to know one

I defy you to find one obnoxious, superior ass like statement that I've made.  To the contrary, everything I've said has been 100% accurate which is not difficult because I am smarter than you. 

I know nothing of this referenced Massengil character, so I am unable to comment
    You are a lousy fisherman McNuttly

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• You are a lousy fisherman McNuttly

I don't know how you'd possibly know that, stop stalking me.

cazzy said:
    Whoever you are...the end result looks much better on the new pics.  Those shots of the pulled pork look flipping awesome.  Great post!
    Thanks, truth is these have finished in as few as 5 hours and the interior meat always has a better texture & is more moist than its traditional pulled pork counterpart; I've always assumed it's the liquid it sits in for the last few hours at high heat... really seems to get in there & if you get the garlic/rosemary combination in there far enough it also has a great flavor throughout, or great flavour if you're in canada
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Nicely done...those flavor profiles appeal to me much more than traditional BBQ. Thanks for posting!
    This style of pork + Racer 5 IPA tomorrow!
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    BYS1981 said:

nice! I'm gonna do pork and sauerkraut tomorrow in a dutch oven with some German beers....been thinking about it all week.
  • BYS1981 said:

BYS1981, if you're making this do yourself a favor, seek out and find a good provolone stravecchio, cut it into small pieces & shower the sandwich with it - it is the most complimentary flavor for this pork (together with the garlic fried broccoli rabe that is):