Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

new twist to age old question maybe

bigphil
bigphil Posts: 1,390
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
Fat side up or down seems a personal choice but am wondering is it better meat side up or down for better bark does the fat side up affect the firmness of the bark with the juice basting it ?  i always do mine fat side down rather that stick than the meat . 
Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.

Comments

• Topic discussed many times.

Fat side up/down comes from the old offset smokers where the fire could come through the opening.  Fat side down people said that the fat would protect the meat from the direct flames.  Fat side up people said the fat would baste the meat during the cook.

That argument still goes on.

On the BGE, with indirect heat, it doesn't matter.  Period.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Six of one, a half dozen of the other.  I always do fat side up.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Going to be attempting my first brisket this week and have same question, another spin on the question answer?

Does the rub make a better 'bark' on the fat side or meat side? I know the fat is an important part of the brisket and the cookiing, but when I slice it, I would probably try to trim the fat off the top, to stay a little healthier, I know that is probably sacra-religious.

Thanks
    Large BGE
    Camp Chef 4 burner Griddle

Near Cleveland, Ohio
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    It's like a superstitious reaction - crossing your fingers before you jump over a pit of punji sticks.  Whatever makes you feel better.  Nothing wrong with having a preference, and it's not bad advice to say "it don't matter".

brisket thin layer fat down but with a butt, cut it all off for the egg, more bark and more rub stuck to the meat
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • your call either way works
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Ive done both. Cant tell a difference either way. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    with a butt, fat side up washes the rub off, fat side down the fat stays on the grill which is a good thing for the cook and the dog to eat, chefs treat. no fat on a butt is best unless you like big butts
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    with a butt, fat side up washes the rub off, fat side down the fat stays on the grill which is a good thing for the cook and the dog to eat, chefs treat. no fat on a butt is best unless you like big butts
    :D
    Don't we all like big butts
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.