Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How big a turkey for

timekpr1
timekpr1 Posts: 151
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
15 people?  I have been tasked with cooking this years Thanksgiving turkey.  Never having cooked a turkey, I have no idea how big of one I need to feed 15 people.  I was actually considering two smaller turkeys vs. one large.  Is there an average cooking time for turkey?  How big a turkey(or turkeys) can I cook on my large BGE at one time?  With so many people my wife will not let me go exotic with spices or rubs.  Just a plain old lightly spiced turkey on the grill.  I am going to sneak some apple wood in there though.  I plan a test run on a smaller turkey in the near future.  Thanks for the advice.
Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Biggest I've done is 24 pounds on a large. Don't think you could go a lot bigger.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Spatchcock 13 lbs direct raised at 400 about 90 min. Just do 2.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Darn you, Mickey! :ar!
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    i always do a traditional stuffed bird in the oven and a lightly smoked one per the madmax directions with some twists in the egg. when you do the practice bird freeze any leftover gravey for tday
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I've always fried one and smoked a in my off set. I'm going to spatchcock one and hickory smoke a breast in the egg this year. Would love to have enough drippings for the gravy...we'll see.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607

doing one in the egg and one in the deep fryer sounds like an idea for this year

i have used  my deep fryer once - always sounds like a great idea until it is time to buy the oil and set it up.  ireally want to do a crawfish boil with it.

• henapple
    The best part is the skin. But the last 2 years everyone likes the smoked breast better. We do a boil with shrimp added. Wife doesn't like mudbugs.
  • henapple
    Sorry...got off subject. My fried 12 lb and smoked 8 breast are plenty for around that number. My wife also does a small ham.
  • timekpr1
    timekpr1 Posts: 151
    edited October 2012
    Thanks for all the input.  I think I will do 2 turkeys.  2 more drumsticks for people to fight over.  Question now is direct vs indirect?  I have a Woo2.  Raised direct vs. indirect.  I saw Mickey's suggestion and may give that one a try on my 1st test turkey.  I better buy some good scissors.  I am curious as to how others are Egging their turkeys though.
    Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    XLBalco said:

doing one in the egg and one in the deep fryer sounds like an idea for this year

+1.  We have done this the past few years.  While I hate to recommend a method other than BGE, fried turkey is off the hook delicious.  Injected with a nice cajun marinade. 
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • I wish I could host like a "guys" Thanksgiving, where we have smoked holiday ham and eggs for breakfast and  Turkey legs, beer, etc during day and watch football and play drinking games
  • henapple
    I'm there...
  • me too!

Amazingribs.com has some good tips.  depends on what other meats are there and how long the shindig will last

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    timekpr1 said:
    Thanks for all the input.  I think I will do 2 turkeys.  2 more drumsticks for people to fight over.  Question now is direct vs indirect?  I have a Woo2.  Raised direct vs. indirect.  I saw Mickey's suggestion and may give that one a try on my 1st test turkey.  I better buy some good scissors.  I am curious as to how others are Egging their turkeys though.

I always buy extra legs to cook beside the bird.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I took Mickey's suggestion last week And cooked my turkey direct around 375 - 400 degrees. It was 13 pounds and cooked to 160 degrees in 1 hour 45 min. Also i spatchcocked it. Turned out very moist.
  • @ Mickey, good idea on extra legs.   Always good to have extra in hand so you don't have to split them.

Where do you get your legs?