Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Question

cortguitarman
cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
I did a practice run tonight for the Thanksgiving bird. Setup was indirect with drip pan and sittin Turkey (beer can turkey holder) with Bud Light Lime in the sittin turkey. Coated the bird with poultry seasoning and cooked at 350. I also squeezed lemon juice over the outside of the bird.

The bird was good, sorry, no pics. But it seemed to be missing something. I've done several chickens both spatchcock and beer can. I like both. I mainly chose to do beer can because I have the sittin turkey and never used it.

My question is, what are you seasoning your turkeys with and how are you cooking them. Lots of valuable info could be had by this thread.
Mark Annville, PA

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

cortguitarman,

If you have the bge turkey stand, invert it. Cook indirect at 350* or so.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Hey cort- I do salt, pepper, and EVOO for the most part. I use apple or cherry. cherry will darken the skin quite a bit so it's a good presentation for American Turkey day (as our brothers to the North just had theirs)

I've done herbs and rubs and stuff too. Never had a bad one off the egg.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Thanks centex. I did rub with evoo. Forgot to mention that. I did mention to my wide that it lacked some salt. I've got lots of cherry scrap in the workshop. I might have to give it a try with some wood chunks
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I saw what you did just there. I was gonna say to cort that he needed some salt but forgot. See Nola got me drunk earlier with all his science and I had to drink a lot to prove I was right

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I saw what you did just there. I was gonna say to cort that he needed some salt but forgot. See Nola got me drunk earlier with all his science and I had to drink a lot to prove I was right
    I respect my brothers from the north
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • I like Old Bay on chicken & I'm wondering if it's good on turkey.  When I do my Thanksgiving dry-run spatch turkey, I think I may use it.
    Flint, Michigan
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Sage, thyme and rosemary are classic turkey spices.  (in addition to salt, pepper, maybe some garlic powder, paprika).  Salt the hell out of it.  Or brine.  Or inject.  I'm kinda anti-pre-brinned when I buy a turkey.  Did I say salt?  I meant "sodium chloride".  Brine?  I meant "saline solution".  (I'm just messin with little steven)
    edited October 2012
    Turkey....I have brined/not brined, cooked on vertical roaster, upright/inverted, on v rack beast down then turn half way cook, using veggies as the rack, smoked/not smoked, breast iced/not iced and all have tasted good. The one constant in all my cooks is the frozen compound butter (made with various herbs and spices) that I slip between the meat and the skin just before cooking the bird. Commercially grown turkey is very receptive to added flavors and that is the key to a good tasting turkey. We did a turkey breast the other day..not brined, just herbed butter and applewood/pecan for smoke. Very tasty. Smoke taste really came thru on next days turkey salad.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    For my family: coffee rub
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    I do a dry brine for 24 hours. Rub the turkey, getting under the skin, with 1 T of kosher salt for every five pounds of bird. I take equal parts thyme and sage and a quarter part of rosemary and soak it for a half hour in olive oil and use that as a rub. I don't use smoke on Thanksgiving. In the drip pan, I put lots of chicken broth and roughly chopped onion, carrot and celery. It makes fantastic gravy. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Mickey, going to try the coffee rub on a spatch'd chicken tonight.  Used on thighs the other night and it was quite tasty
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • @ Mickey. Do you use anything else besides coffee in your coffee rub..(salt pepper etc..)
  • Last week i cooked a13 pound turkey and used Dizzy Pig Shaken the tree.. My husband loved it.
  • I like wet brined, then dry skin, cold/frozen compound butter under skin (sage, rosemary, thyme, garlic), salt and pepper on outside.  Light maple, cherry, and/or apple smoke.  Vertical, cook until temp.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited October 2012
    @ Mickey. Do you use anything else besides coffee in your coffee rub..(salt pepper etc..)

Coffee Rub = parts Expresso ground instant coffee Brown or turbonato sugar 1/2 black pepper 1/2 kosher salt 1/2 garlic powder 3/4 Ancho chili powder I keep it in a sealed container and also use on spatchcock chicken and turkey, steaks and pork
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Goody
    Goody Posts: 102
    This is a great method for turkey. Important to find the right pan. I have recently settled on a 14" dutch oven. The gravy has a learning curve, but it all tastes great in the end.