Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

When to use the Cast Iron Grid (and when not to)

ChanningJohnson
ChanningJohnson Posts: 40
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
Other than searing when else do you use the cast iron grid. And when do you definitely not use the cast iron grid. After cooking chicken wings on it I started thinking that maybe that's not a good idea. Just trying to figure out if the CI overcooked the chicken or if the cook did : )

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I stopped useing them altogather. I now use SS. Just like the lighter weight and can live w/o big grill marks.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    I just always use mine.  My regular grid is hiding in the garage somewhere.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • ratcheer
    ratcheer Posts: 189
    I always use my cast iron grid. I have never used the one that came with my BGE.

Tim
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    My large ci broke. I now use the medium one in the woo. Woo sits under the adjustable rig so I can go from sear to roast by adding a grid on the rig.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• DocWonmug
    DocWonmug Posts: 300
    I use my CI for most stuff. Great with spatchcock chicken. No offense, but it's not the fiddle, it's the fiddler.
    LBGE
  • misu
    misu Posts: 213
    edited October 2012
    I always use my CI grid too, regular grid became home made raised setup rig with screws.
  • Little Steven
    One other thing about the BGE CI grid. If you flip it it provides a flatter surface for more delicate things like fish and liver.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Dan4BBQ
    Dan4BBQ Posts: 271
    One other thing about the BGE CI grid. If you flip it it provides a flatter surface for more delicate things like fish and liver.
    Good idea---thanks 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    I use it to sear, and for raised spatchcock chicken. Like Little Steven suggests, it is used flat side up indirect and direct for shrimp and fish. 
    I also have put the CI grid in, a couple of 3/8"X1"X8" tile strip spacers, the setter legs up, the SS grid. Dome of 250 for a low and slow roast. When the internal hits 120, move the roast to a foil wrap to rest, remove the SS grid, setter (easy to grab because of the tile strips) and tile strips. Crank the fire. In less than 5 min, the CI grid (which was already pretty hot) is ready to sear the roast.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    I ensure I use mine flat-side up with meatloaves, too; more support.
    Although, as others have mentioned I can't remember the last time I used the SS...

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• DocWonmug said:
    I use my CI for most stuff. Great with spatchcock chicken. No offense, but it's not the fiddle, it's the fiddler.
    No offense taken : ) Do you make any time or temperature adjustments (compared to SS or another surface) when using the CI for chicken or anything else? 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Interesting point, never really thought about it, but when doing chicken breast, raised direct, it is faster on the CI than the SS, both are OEM BGE. Geez there's half the alphabet used up.....

Probably the thermal mass of the CI vs the SS. So yes, I adjust for time without thinking about it - I cook to temp, but it is faster - I think......
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited October 2012
    I wondered if the cast iron grill grate was intended to be reversible. The CI grates on my gasser are reversible. The grate bars are triangular shaped with all three corners being slightly rounded so they don't come to a sharp point. With the grates in one way you get one of the rounded corner points facing up. When you flip the grate over you get a flat side facing up. Although unlike the BGE CI grate, the flat side isn't really flat, it is slightly rounded. According to the manual the pointy side is for delicate items like fish that you don't want to chance sticking to the grate. The slightly rounded flat side is for maximizing the grill marks. I shall have to play around with using the wide side of the BGE CI grate.

To get back OT: I use the CI for anything I want to get a good sear and maximin grill marks on. I use the SS grate for indirect or if I don't want grill marks. I use the SS grill grate when I use a pizza stone. I install the platesetter legs up and put the SS grate on top of the legs and the BGE pizza stone on top of that.

Jim

3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • HERBBQ
    HERBBQ Posts: 1
    I use the ci grate all of the time. one side for searing in nice grill marks (that would be the pointy side and the flat side for everything else. just keep it well seasoned and don't drop it!
  • DocWonmug
    DocWonmug Posts: 300
    Wait a minute, let me get this straight. Liver on a BGE?...........
    DocWonmug said:
    No offense taken : ) Do you make any time or temperature adjustments (compared to SS or another surface) when using the CI for chicken or anything else? 
    No, just cooked it the same for the chicken. As noted by many, it was cooked to done-ness not time, but the time was real close, temp the same.
    LBGE
  • Little Steven
    edited October 2012
    DocWonmugDocWonmug
    Wait a minute, let me get this straight. Liver on a BGE?...........

I really enjoy duck and provimi veal liver grilled. Season and rub with a little oil (with duck I use butter) and grill to med-rare

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited October 2012
    I never use my cast iron grid anymore.  Too much trouble.  Instead, if I want to be fancy, I'll use my steak brand to brand the meat.  Get it red hot, then sear the meat.  My brand is a small replica of the one I used when I raised cattle.  It's "2L", because my last name is Willson (with two L's).  Get it?

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    For once VI and not poking fun. You my friend are a renaissance man. I would like to see the list of jobs you held before moving to the couch :x
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Little Steven
    I never use my cast iron grid anymore.  Too much trouble.  Instead, if I want to be fancy, I'll use my steak brand to brand the meat.  Get it red hot, then sear the meat.  My brand is a small replica of the one I used when I raised cattle.  It's "2L", because my last name is Willson (with two L's).  Get it?

Aw Gary you use my handle for yer steaks. Thanks

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Aw Gary you use my handle for yer steaks. Thanks
    Thank you, my dyslectic friend, but that is not an "LS" brand.  It's "2L".

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Little Steven
    I though the owt was a bent s...sorry

Steve 

Caledon, ON