Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gumbo?

rabdogg
rabdogg Posts: 43
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
After watching the Tigers bleaux up the cocks I feel inspired. Has anyone ever done gumbo on the BGE? Thinking of pecan wood..
Green Eggin' in Lafayette, Louisiana

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited October 2012
    I love to make (and eat) gumbo, but I've never made it on the egg - it would be terrible for making roux because you'd have the lid open and it would get too hot. 

However, I think you're on to something.  A lot of dishes benefit from cooking the ingredients on the egg and adding those to the dish, or gumbo.

For gumbo, you can lightly pre-cook the mirepoix (celery, bell pepper, onions) as well as the proteins (options are anything that has legs or swims for cajun food).

I woulda been almost ready to slit my wrists if LSU lost.  What a relief!  And Saint have a bye week, so this was it.
    Me too!! I'll take the auto who dat win.
  • rabdogg
    rabdogg Posts: 43
    For the gumbo- I'm trying once it gets "cooler". This 75 degree is nice but not yet....
  • nolaegghead
    I have a big high velocity fan hanging about 10 feet from the egg that swivels in two axis and that makes it tolerable to cook in hot weather. :)  btw - who dat!
    Hey Nolaegghead, ever make corchon dulait? Butchered the spelling
    When was the last time you did something for the first time? - Zick Boulder, CO
  • nolaegghead
    Young roast pig?  No, but I've eaten it plenty of times.  There's a greek festival in town that has a huge open pit with Cochon de Lait and whatever the greek expression is for whole roasting lamb.  Delicious.  A creole buddy of mine would cook it at company picnics. 
    Cochon de Lait. Also... if you find yourself hungry on Tchoupitoulas Street check out Cochon (a restuarant specializing in Cochon de Lait connected to Cochon Butcher).

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited October 2012
    What?  No broccoli or brussel sprouts in your gumbo, Rickard ?   :)

Here's mine.  I got the original recipe from the Texas State Extension Agency, but I've tweaked it enough to call it my own now.

I will brag to say that I fed some to the Katrina evacuees from N.O. right after the hurricane, and some said it was the best gumbo they had ever eaten (of course, they were starving to death at the time).

Gumbo, Shrimp

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: State of Texas Extension Service

Ingredients:

2 lbs. Shrimp  , peeled

1/2 + cup Roux  (make your own)

4 cups Shrimp stock, If short, use Penzey's Seafood Stock

2 cups Onions, chopped

2 cups Celery, chopped

1 cup Bell pepper, chopped

10 oz. Okra, frozen, cut

1 8 oz. can  Tomato Sauce

1/4 cup Parsley, chopped

1 can Chicken broth, 13 oz. 

3 Bay leaves

2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

1 tablespoon Thyme

1 tablespoon Kitchen Bouquet

2 teaspoons Garlic Salt

2 teaspoons Pepper  

Tabasco hot sauce, to taste

Gumbo filet, to taste

Directions:

1. Add shrimp stock, roux, chicken broth, and all vegetables in a large pot.  Cook until vegetables are tender.  Add tomato sauce. Cover and simmer for 1 hour.  Add remaining ingredients except tabasco, filet, and rice, and simmer for 15 minutes.

2. Serve over hot rice.  Sprinkle tabasco and filet on top to taste.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• EggerinLA
    EggerinLA Posts: 186
    LSU won, but Carolina are always pretenders and Spurrier is vastly overrated as a coach. We aren't good this year either though as evidenced last week when we lost to a weak Florida team (they aren't as good as their record). Once again we are second rate to Saban's Tide. They will embarrass us.
  • VI,

Thanks for sharing the gumbo recipe. It looks relatively easy to build/prepare.

I recently helped my brother with an office cookoff and he wanted to make gumbo. We bought a duck and lightly smoked it on the BGE. WOW!!!! That was out of this world. His recipe was a little more complicated. I can't wait to add the smoked duck to this recipe.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Man, I just made a big pot last weekend. We divide it into dinner size servings and freeze it for a quick meal later on......

The best recipe I found for chicken and sausage is Emeril's on Food network, simple and good. I add more chicken and sausage.....personal thang.  I don't make the roux, just find it premade at the store.  I've found using chicken broth or stock over water is key as it gives the gumbo better flavor.  I also use a good sausage and boneless chicken thighs with plenty of emeril's rub.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Roux in the microwave is great.

Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • jlsm said:
    Roux in the microwave is great.

What is your technique?...I have yet to perfect microwaved roux.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • I finish mine off in the microwave.

Roux

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ingredients:

1/2 cup Vegetable oil

1/2 cup Flour     

Directions:

1. With relatively high heat, slowly add flour to hot oil, whisking all of the time.  When the roux starts to turn color, turn heat down and keep whisking until roux becomes a light caramel color.

2. Transfer to a bowl and microwave for one minute.  Stir.  Microwave for one more minute. 

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• misu
    misu Posts: 213
    Am I missing something here, microwave, store bought? You can easily make roux on the egg, cast iron or heavy ceramic pot and keep an eye on it no big deal. BobbyQ has a class on gumbo on the egg, that's how I learned to make it.
  • nolaegghead
    Lots of ways to make a roux.  I never tried the microwave, interesting.  There's oven roux - dry or with oil.  And you can make it dry on the stove top.  Then there's the traditional oil/flour stove top.

Making a good roux is takes forever.  Last batch of gumbo SWMBO spent an hour stirring the roux.  Most of the time I just use Kary's Roux.  You can't make a better roux and the shelf life is long.  We have a jar of dry roux and one in oil.  I usually use about 50/50.

Roux is not only great in gumbo, it's great in lots of dishes, gravies and sauces.  It imparts a complex flavor and makes dishes special.

http://karysroux.com/products.html

I used to use Kary's roux until I was somewhere out in the country and didn't have access to it.  That's when I learned to make it myself.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• nolaegghead
    Yeah, the dry roux needs to be added slowly with stirring into hot oil.  You just don't have to sit there constantly stirring for an hour.  SWMBO's mom used to spend 3 hours stirring it.  A gnat's hair too hot and the batch is ruined. The slow made dark roux has the most complexity in taste.

I really need to try the microwave process out.   Our microwave seems to cook about 25% faster than recipe's call for, so I'll dial it back a bit.

The darker the roux, the less it thickens.  I don't thicken with gumbo file, SWMNBO isn't crazy about it or okra, so I'll cheat a little with some corn starch.  I like a little body in my gumbo.
    We eat a lot of shrimp - jumbo head-on shrimp are cheap down here - about $3.50/pound.  We'll take the heads and shells and dump them in a huge pot of water and make shrimp broth.  Plus, it's a great way to use some of those "older" veggies in your crisper.

We pour the broth into gallon freezer bags, label and freeze.  We do the same thing with roasted chicken carcases.  I'd estimate half my shop freezer is broths.  Then again, we use a lot of broth.  Nothing beats the real thing.

• We pour the broth into gallon freezer bags, label and freeze.  We do the same thing with roasted chicken carcases.  I'd estimate half my shop freezer is broths.  Then again, we use a lot of broth.  Nothing beats the real thing.
    I totally agree.  We make all of our beef stock, chicken stock, and shrimp stock.  And, like you, I like to buy the "head on" shrimp for making the stock.  I quit using the chicken carcass that I've cooked on the Egg because the resulting stock has a smokey taste, and I don't like that in all of the dishes that I use the stock in.  My favorite carcass for stock is from a chicken I've boiled on the stove for chicken and dumplings or tortilla soup.

I freeze them in plastic tubs, and label them, 1 cup, 2 cups, 3 etc. and the date.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• nolaegghead
    Rotisserie chicken makes great chicken stock.  The nice thing about the freezer bags, it results in a frozen ice block about 8" x 8" x .5-.75" thick.  So it thaws out in a few minutes.
    Hey, I hadn't thought of that.  I have a rotisserie machine up in the attic that I haven't used in years.  I'll have to go get it.  That would be good chicken for the chicken and dumplings and tortilla soup too.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Frank from Houma makes it on the egg in about 20 minutes for a chocolate roux. Never been brave enough to try a fast one. Usually an hour and a half min.

Steve 

Caledon, ON