Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need Help w/ Porterhouse

Options
Brahmabull
Brahmabull Posts: 54
edited October 2012 in Beef
OK, here is the deal.  I have a 2in thick 3lbs porterhouse.  Seasoned all day.  My wife lost my thermapen and I have a new one on the way but not here yet.  I want it cooked to medium rare to medium rare plus.  Any suggestions on time and temp so that I don't over cook but i get it done?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Dang-no back-up thermo you can run with...even an insert and read (a bit slow on the data retrieval) is something.  The other option is to guesstimate based on prior history and then err on the rare side-you can always cook it more but like "what has been seen cannot be unseen" what has been cooked...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Wow.  I totally depend on my thermapen.  I try to follow the TRex method.

After the searing and rest, here is what he says:

Now, to determine the right amount of time for the right level of doneness, you have to experiment. I like my steaks medium-rare—that’s pretty red but warm in the center. To accomplish this, I cook a 1.75” ROOM TEMPERATURE steak at 400° F dome temp for about 5 minutes per side (for medium, try 6 minutes per side). So wait about 5 minutes, open the lid quickly and flip your steak, then close the lid. Remember, use your hands or tongs to flip the steak if you can—don’t puncture the meat. After 5 more minutes, the steak should be “done.”

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    +1 with VI.  This was about 1 3/4 inches.  Seared near the coals, then it was about 4 to 5 minutes a side on the grate for medium rare/medium
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I find the strips cook faster than ribeye of the same size.  The fillet about the same.  That said, I'd follow VI's paste and maybe add a minute on each side because it's thicker and you want it cooked a little more.  I always "feel" the meat - press down on it as well as measure the temp.  You'll learn how different cuts feel at different levels of doneness.
    Options
    You could hot tub it. You know the drill about pushing on the tendon between your thumb and pointer finger?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Little steven's hot tub idea - me likey.
    edited October 2012
    Options
    You could hot tub it. You know the drill about pushing on the tendon between your thumb and pointer finger?
    The only "hot tub" method I know is hot tub chickens.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Cookbook_Chip
    Options

Haaaaaa!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options

Gary,

Can't see the pic but I'm sure it is hilarious.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Disturbing and funny. Just the way Centex likes. God I need a new hobby............

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Little Steven
    Options

Gary,

That is disturbing on so many levels

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lousubcap
    Options
    One would think he's from the Bay area....land of fruits and nuts.  But the body of work would suggest Central Texas...and to the newbie's...good luck!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Could be from Toronto too, Sir Lou. But the spelling ain't right. What class of subs were you on? I'll understand if you can't say.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Saying Gray is from the West Coast (or Toronto) is akin to saying LS is from the Dirty South :))

ahem.....fish out of water? :))

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I fully expect his wrath but we go back a ways

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lousubcap
    Options
    I am about to go submerged and undetected for the duration here-and I served on those built from the 60's thru the 80's and spent time on those from the 50's thru the 90's. Carry on and enjoy!  BTW-spent some time in Quebec (province) and Montreal in my youth-twas fun :)>-
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I have a business partner that was on subs for a couple of tours. He is from Bridgeport CT. Loudest guy I have ever known. Think they put him on threshers so the ruskies had somebody to tail. Think the good subs followed behind.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lousubcap
    Options
    I have a business partner that was on subs for a couple of tours. He is from Bridgeport CT. Loudest guy I have ever known. Think they put him on threshers so the ruskies had somebody to tail. Think the good subs followed behind.

Must have trashed his hearing with the SWMBO...but it sure was fun back in the day...and I was quite confident in the fact that our oldest were better than their newest any day of the week...All credit to the crews and training!  I apologize for the thread highjack.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Yeah, me too. Just wanted to ask you. In fact, I think it may have been the shark class. Guy is really loud

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggbertsdad
    Options
    I've so much trouble with cooking steaks on the BGE using the TRex method, it's not even funny. The only success I've had is using the hot tub method. It's almost like cheating, though. 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    No such thing as cheating - the only thing that matters is the final result.  Hell, I beam my baked potatoes in the microwave (heaven forbid!) for a few minutes before throwing them on the egg.  You can't tell the difference and it saves a lot of time and lump.
    Options

Disturbing and funny. Just the way Cent
    ex likes. God I need a new hobby............

Freaking hilarious
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN