Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Louisiana Eggers

rabdogg
rabdogg Posts: 43
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Are there any Louisiana eggers out there?  I'm a newbie looking for local cooks.
Green Eggin' in Lafayette, Louisiana

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Algiers Point New Orleans in the house
  • nolaegghead
    There's a ragin' cajun guy.  Don't remember his username, but I think he's near BR

Where yat?

edited September 2012

• Shreveport here.  Yes, it's still considered LA.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

• Shreveport here.  Yes, it's still considered LA.
    my first thoughts....
    Green Eggin' in Lafayette, Louisiana
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Right here in The Berry....New Iberia
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • nolaegghead
    I love the people in the New Iberia area.  Great accents, super friendly, excellent food.
    edited October 2012
    I'm to the left of the Crawfish Curtain, but I do love that Cajun food.  I guaraunteee.  :D
    Besides, after Katrina, we got more Coonies here than N.O. has.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    I have a bunch of family in Minden.  I need to get down there soon and drop some Yankee drinking on'em.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• nolaegghead
    VI - you're in Houston, right?  I've driven from Nola to San Antonio about 40 times and I think ya'll got at least as many rice paddies as us - at least East of Baytown (I gotta hold my nose when I drive through Baytown).  Can you get crawfish readily over there?
  • VI - you're in Houston, right?  I've driven from Nola to San Antonio about 40 times and I think ya'll got at least as many rice paddies as us - at least East of Baytown (I gotta hold my nose when I drive through Baytown).  Can you get crawfish readily over there?
    Yep, lots of rice paddies.  Just west of Houston has been some of the country's biggest rice producers, and was a major geese migration area because of that.  However, urban sprawl is encroaching on them every year.

Sure, crawfish are easy to get in Houston when they are in season.  Buy them by the sack. There's a lot of Cajun influence in town.  We even know how to pronounce Atchafalaya.  
    :))

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• nolaegghead
    Buddy of mine is an organizer for the Louisiana Crawfish Competition at his daughter's school in Marraro (nola metro area) and he said they go though 25-30,000 pounds of crawfish. I think they're on their 11th or 12th year.  I try to make it every year - all the crawfish you can eat from about 50 teams of boilers.  Good times.
    Why not, you're on the border :)
    edited October 2012
    Hey Nola,

Do you suck the head of the crawfish?  I got drunk one time and did it.  Actually, it was very good ... spicy !!!  I also like cooking shrimp with the head on.  Gives the dish a richer flavor.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• nolaegghead
    Yeah I do, one of the best parts about eating them.  Although if I'm really settling down to eat a lot of them, I won't suck each one - I don't want to OD on sodium and the heads are filled with boil.  The crawfish with the hard, hard shells aren't worth it.  You need to squeeze the head and the hard ones just explode.
    Sorry... I was still doing the backstroke in LaPlace when the OP was made.

:ar!

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.
  • nolaegghead
    Better late than never to the party.  Did you get any water in your house?
    edited October 2012
    6" in the garage and my sheds are toast. Compared to nearly ALL of my neighborhood, I'm one of the lucky ones. I had another 18" to go before it would have came into the house.

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.
  • nolaegghead
    That was my assessment when I looked at your videos.  Looks like your neighbors had (or were close to having) water in their house at the same time your armadillo was down a step from your ground floor.  Well above the water.  Looks like you got might have gotten some vehicle flooding. 

I got curious about Chef Folse's Encyclopedia of Cajun and Creole Cuisine, so I went to Barnes & Nobel to page through it.  That book is a work of art !!!  I spent 30 minutes there, just looking at the pictures and reading a bit of Louisiana history.  I bought it  ($54 - ouch !).  Look forward to making some good bayou grub.  Thanks for the tip.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• nolaegghead
    Ya know, i don't think we have it.   I just looked through the cookbook library.  I'd rather learn the history, techniques and philosophy behind a cuisine than read a bunch of recipes any day of the week.  I'll have to ask SWMBO when she gets back from work (nurse - 12hr shifts owch).
  • Ya know, i don't think we have it.   I just looked through the cookbook library.  I'd rather learn the history, techniques and philosophy behind a cuisine than read a bunch of recipes any day of the week.  I'll have to ask SWMBO when she gets back from work (nurse - 12hr shifts owch).
    You'll love it.  I had never known the difference between Cajun and Creole dishes, and this goes into it somewhat.  I haven't read it all yet, but the book is very well done (great pictures) and very informative.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Originally from Harrisonburg, now in Spring, TX (Houston).  Won my Sweetie in a poker game in New Orleans.  Have relatives (also Eggheads) in Metairie, Mandeville, Baton Rouge and Catahoula Parish. But Texas took me in and treats me well for now.
  • Originally from Harrisonburg, now in Spring, TX (Houston).  Won my Sweetie in a poker game in New Orleans.  Have relatives (also Eggheads) in Metairie, Mandeville, Baton Rouge and Catahoula Parish. But Texas took me in and treats me well for now.
    So, does that mean you suck crawfish heads, Pierre?

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• "suck!!!"  %&@!  All this time I thought it was "blow" on them...  No wonder the people in Crawdaddy's were looking at me in an odd way...

Spring "Crawfish Was Bait Where I Grew Up" Chicken

Spring Texas USA