Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

overnight problems

Options
henapple
henapple Posts: 16,025
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
Fired up the egg and started my bb roast at 5 yesterday evening. Dialed in at 250 and it stayed there till midnight. I woke up to find the temp at 170. Went out to re-light and found literally no lump in the box. I went through an entire load in 12 hrs. I'm not going to name the brand and I'm not looking for lump suggestions. Needless to say I won't do another over night cook with this brand. Just wondering if any of you have had this happen. Regardless, the bb is back on and rolling...might have to crutch now to hit eta.
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Did you use briquettes or lump?

Gerhard
  • henapple
    Options
    Lump...I've never seen it burn out that fast.
  • BGElovr
    BGElovr Posts: 83
    Options
    I hate that that happened to you, but if you call out the name of the company, maybe you could save the rest of us a future headache.
  • bertscampers
    Options
    I've always had luck with overnight cooks.  I was just thinking did you have enough of a variety of lump.  Meaning did you use smaller pieces in between the larger pieces.  I'm thinking if you had large pieces but not a good mix you may not have had enough lump?

Not sure, I'm still new but I am just trying to reason it out.
  • henapple
    Options

I've always had luck with overnight cooks.  I was just thinking did you have enough of a variety of lump.  Meaning did you use smaller pieces in between the larger pieces.  I'm thinking if you had large pieces but not a good mix you may not have had enough lump?

Not sure, I'm still new but I am just trying to reason it out.

I was considering that. I always lay or jigsaw some larger pieces and then dump. This bag had very little small in it. Could the box have been full but not packed?

• GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    Options
    I bet it won't cost you a whole lot on time.  If it was still at 170 I bet the fire wasn't out long.  
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • EggerinLA
    EggerinLA Posts: 186
    edited October 2012
    Options
    I have used the worse lump to the best, most expensive lump and all of them get me 20 plus hours with a full firebox with unused lump still in it for another cook. It might not be the lump, but user error. People are too quick to blame the product. It might be, but you should look at everything. I always, always, dump and go. I think it is stupid to sort. I bought the Egg for enjoyment, not tendious work. I have sorted and used the dump and go method. Zero difference.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    For low and slows, I fill to the top of the fire ring on my xl. Hasn't been necessary for any of my 24 plus hour cooks, but always better safe than sorry.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• henapple
    Options
    GreenhawK said:

I bet it won't cost you a whole lot on time.  If it was still at 170 I bet the fire wasn't out long.  

I'm still on schedule...finish the bb, then ribs and some turtle eggs.
  • henapple
    Options
    It could have been user error. I'm new at this.
  • henapple
    Options
    Tree butt got done. 200 degrees, tender. I got it done too early so ftc, fridge 2 hrs then oven on warm. Ribs going on. Trying apple and pecan mix. Fingers crossed...
  • henapple
    Options
    Oops, forgot
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    @henapple-FYI, FTC should buy you 4-5 hours easily-depending on your ETA and time zone you may be able to skip the frig.  Just wrap and use lots of towels to fill the air space and it should work.  BTW-looks great-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • henapple
    Options
    Thanks...I haven't cooked bb as well till I got the egg and help from you guys. I'll try the ftc...but I've got 5 hrs. 3 ftc, 2 oven?
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    if you need to reheat after pulling it  i do mine with a little apple juice in the bottom of a crock pot or any liquid of your choice would work i guess to add a bit of moisture and if you have a food saver bag system right in the bag in simmering water . BTW it looks really good 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • henapple
    Options
    bigphil said:

if you need to reheat after pulling it  i do mine with a little apple juice in the bottom of a crock pot or any liquid of your choice would work i guess to add a bit of moisture and if you have a food saver bag system right in the bag in simmering water . BTW it looks really good 

Thanks

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    How high did you fill your lump? For long cooks I fill over the fire box to at least half way up the fire ring.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • henapple
    Options
    I've never done that but in the few times I've done an over night I haven't had a problem. I think maybe I didn't pack out down...idk. I'll remember that though...thanks
  • henapple
    Options
    Pulled the ribs...no sauce. 3 options on the table. Turnips greens still on. Ready for turtle eggs.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    edited October 2012
    Options
    I'm with you on the no foil, no sauce cook.  I run X-0-0.  Good luck with the rest of your mammoth cook adventure!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bertscampers
    Options
    In the end all is well, which is all the matters.

Cheers

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    FTC = 4-5 hours easy. I've gone 8. No need for oven of you pack it I there with lots of towels.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • henapple
    Options
    Everything came out really good. I did do the ribs 221 with honey on the crutch. Best ribs I've ever cooked. Like any good southern meal...everyone had to go lay down in their strechy pants. I don't know that I'll do the honey again but...overall I was happy. Tex, as usual you're correct. Ftc lasted as needed.
    Thanks.