Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cow Lickin' Chili (Large Post)

egret
egret Posts: 4,168
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I cooked this at a couple of the fests last year and was asked to post the procedure, so here 'tis :[p]Cow Lickin’ Chile[p]Ingredients :[p]Olive Oil
1.5 lb. ground Chuck
1 lb. Italian Sausage (casing removed)
2 cups Onion (chopped)
1 Green Bell Pepper (seeded and chopped)
2 Jalapeno Chiles (seeded and chopped fine)
1-2 Serrano Chiles (seeded amd chopped fine)
1 Tbs. Garlic (minced)
1 (28 oz.) can Diced Tomatoes and liquid
1 (15 oz.) can Diced Tomatoes and liquid
1 can Rotel
2 cans (15 oz. each) Pinto or Dark Kidney Beans (drained)
3 Tbs. Chili Powder
1 Tbs. Ancho Chile Powder
1.5 Tbs. ground Cumin
1 tsp. Cocoa Powder
1 tsp. ground Cinnamon
2 Bay Leaves
1 tsp. Tabasco Sauce
1 tsp. dried Oregano
3 Tbs. Dizzy Pig's Cow Lick Steak Rub
2 cups Beef Broth
1 cup Dry Red Wine
2-3 dried Chili Peppers (chipotle, ancho, etc.) to float on top
Salt and fresh ground Pepper to taste
Wood Chunks

Ingredients.jpg[p]Preparation:[p]Preheat your Egg to 350° with inverted plate setter (legs up).

Setup.jpg[p]Place dutch oven in the egg on the plate setter and add 2 Tbs. olive oil.
Add the ground chuck and sausage (break up into smaller pieces with a wooden spoon).
Add 2 or 3 fist-sized chunks of wood to coals.

Meat.jpg[p]Close lid and cook for about 1 hour, stirring every 10-15 minutes.
Remove dutch oven from egg, remove meat and drain on paper towels.
Wipe dutch oven dry with paper towels.
Return dutch oven to egg, add more olive oil and saute´ onions, green pepper, jalapenos, and serrano(s) until limp. Add garlic and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes.

Veggies.jpg[p]Add remaining ingredients and cook, uncovered, for about 2 hours (add water as needed to prevent drying).

AllIngredients.jpg[p]Note : After the mixture starts to simmer, you can reduce the dome temperature to 300-325 degrees.
Remove bay leaves, dried chiles, correct seasoning and serve.

TimetoEat.jpg

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    egret,
    Thanks for taking the time to post. Looks GREAT. 45 min. till lunch.....
    Darian

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • omba
    omba Posts: 241
    egret,
    Thanks for sharing! I just love chile recipes.[p]Of course a relative newbie question ...
    Does it REALLY make a difference cooking chile on the BGE versus over a stove?
    I realize that asking this question in this forum might excommunicate me again, but the answer seems obvious to me. Of course it makes a difference!
    I guess my real question is ... can you tell the difference in a blind tasting? And is it the initial cooking of the meat and veggies or the simmering that has the most impact?
    And to all of you now demanding my excommunication ... "Mea culpa! Mea culpa! Mea maxima culpa!"[p]Grazie,
    St. Peter

• ChrisC
    ChrisC Posts: 107
    omba,[p]I usually brown the meat and start the veggies inside on the stove. Once I get all of the ingreds into the pot I put it on the egg to simmer for 3 hours or so. The flavor of simmering on the egg is well worth the time and cannot be beat. I would not make chili any other way.[p]-ChrisC
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    omba,
    Most definitely makes a difference cooking on the egg. You get a good smoke flavor in the meat (I use hickory, btw) and I'll sometimes add another wood chunk after all the ingredients are added. You can do all steps after the meat is cooked on the range, for convenience if you like, but do the meat, at least, on the egg.

• BOBF
    BOBF Posts: 177
    egret,[p]Thank you for posting. That recipe was saved directly into the BGE Recipe Folder on my computer.

• ShortRib
    ShortRib Posts: 180
    egret,
    Made this last month. Turned out fantastic. Best beef chili recipe I have seen posted here!!!

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    egret,
    This chili looks really good! I'm intrigued with ingredients of red wine and cocoa powder. This weekend is gonna be a cold one up here....good time to make something to keep me warm. First, I need to make some cornbread and I see Dr.BBQ has a recipe in his book for Confederate Cornbread. I have a recipe called Johnycake, like cornbread but sweeter and more cake-like. [p]I enjoy your cooking, always impressive.
    Thanks,
    Clay

• Jscott
    Jscott Posts: 174

Egret, This looks fantastic! I'm going to test it this weekend and then enter a local Chili Cook-off with your recipe!

About how many servings do you get out of this?

Thanks!

500 Posts: 3,177
    Jscott said:

Egret, This looks fantastic! I'm going to test it this weekend and then enter a local Chili Cook-off with your recipe!

About how many servings do you get out of this?

Thanks!

+1 Bookmarking for a neighborhood chili cookoff.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Just an FYI- there is a newer version of this recipe:

I think the main difference is using semi-sweet bakers chocolate vs cocoa powder. 

You can't go wrong either way!  I've made them both.  Confession: I don't have cow lick rub, so perhaps I haven't really made them.  

I just made this two nights ago.  I vac-sealed and froze a big brick to take camping this weekend.  

To give you an idea of the number of servings- it nearly fills my 5 qt dutch oven.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Jscott
    Jscott Posts: 174
    Great and thanks SmokeyPitt. Sounds like I'll have enough then!
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Looks great.  I'm waiting for the Texas guys to come along and tell you that "real chili don't have beans".

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited October 2012
    REAL chili don't have no stinkin' beans !

If you put beans in it, it's called a Shirley Temple Casserole.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053

I put tri tip in mine

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Nice lookin bean soup. ;)

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Lit
    Anyone have a Texas chili recipe? probably gonna do chili soon and would like to try it out.
  • SmokeyPitt
    I have heard that in Texas there is an increased risk of heart related illness because Texans have an aversion to beans.  Clinical studies have shown that they are good for your heart, and the more you eat the better you feel.  

@Lit- the tri-tip chili looks great!  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Lit

I have heard that in Texas there is an increased risk of heart related illness because Texans have an aversion to beans.  Clinical studies have shown that they are good for your heart, and the more you eat the better you feel.  

@Lit- the tri-tip chili looks great!  
    you going to eggtoberfest?
  • galen
    galen Posts: 57

Aloha

Not from Texas, but I'll say it.  That is not chili that is chili and beans.

Still looks good and probably tastes good as well....BUT....

I'll scratch around and try to locate my receipe from the last time I cooked in a World Championship..ICS, probably about 1970 something.

Aloha

• SmokeyPitt
    you going to eggtoberfest?
    'Fraid I'm not gonna make it this year.  My son is playing travel baseball so my weekends are crazy.  One of these years I will make it to the motherfest! 

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Egret makes a half decent chili but Sundown is the Chili Man

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I use ground brisket in mine.  What is Sundown's recipe?
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    That looks freaking awesome. I may have to surprise the wife with this chili one day.
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited October 2012
    I'm not sure but I think it's meat, beans and cayenne in equal amounts

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BOWHUNR
    edited October 2012
    BOWHUNR said:
    Looks great.  I'm waiting for the Texas guys to come along and tell you that "real chili don't have beans".

Mike

REAL chili don't have no stinkin' beans !

If you put beans in it, it's called a Shirley Temple Casserole.

Told ya. ;):D

I have met very few chili's beans or no beans that I don't like, but I can say hands down that the worst chili I've ever had was in Cincinnati, OH.  They should call that stuff Alpo!

Mike

Omaha, NE
  • BOWHUNR
    Lit said:
    Anyone have a Texas chili recipe? probably gonna do chili soon and would like to try it out.

Here's mine.  Given to me by a Texas friend BTW.

BOWHUNR’S Chili

1.5lb Chuck roast
    32oz beef stock or broth....Broth is saltier...
    4Tbsp Chili Powder
    1Tbsp Garlic Powder
    1Tbsp Onion Powder
    1Tbsp Oregano
    1Tsp black pepper
    1 packet of Sazon Goya,Con Azafran(You can find this in most supermarkets)
    1Tsp Cumin
    1 medium onion,diced
    1 8 oz.can tomato sauce
    1 can Rotel Tomatoes,(Diced tomatoes with green chiles).

Method....
    In a heavy soup pot or dutch oven...
    Cut the Chuck roast into quarter inch cubes(this is important).
    Cook until grey,not brown...Drain the meat and discard the grease and liquid. Set meat aside...
    Cook diced onions with corn oil until soft.
    Add beef stock.
    Add Sazon packet.
    Add tomato sauce.
    Add Rotel.
    Cook until boiling.
    Taste for salt....Add salt while simmering until it's right...
    At this point the mix should be orange.....
    All Tbsp & Tsp should be heaping...
    Add meat.
    Add all dry ingredients EXCEPT Cumin.....
    You might need to add water if it's too thick...
    Simmer for an hour,covered,stirring every 10 minutes and taste it for salt...
    Add cumin and simmer for 15 minutes...
    Turn off the heat and let it set for a little bit....
    Serve with sharp cheddar cheese and a dollop of sour cream...

Omaha, NE
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    BOWHUNR said:

I have met very few chili's beans or no beans that I don't like, but I can say hands down that the worst chili I've ever had was in Cincinnati, OH.  They should call that stuff Alpo!

Mike

Love me some Alpo (Cincinnati Chili)
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    @jscott what prompted you to bring up this 5 year old thread? Good info, just curious
    Boom
  • mb99zz
    mb99zz Posts: 183
    Oh my that looks delicious!
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    This is an easy one because it doesn't rely on dried chilies. The trick, though, is knowing your chili powder; add salt after tasting because some powder comes very salty. High end chili powder is not necessarily better. Cutting the beef into cubes is time consuming but well worth it. My husband absolutely loves this; I usually use the sauce on top of beans, so it works for everyone. We make huge batches of this and eat it with brown rice, freezing the rest for many meals down the road. We're due for another batch, and I will simmer it in the Egg this time.

1 cup chopped onions
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    2 pounds beef round, cut into 1/4-inch cubes 
    2 t.  sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground dried Mexican oregano
    1 tablespoon ground cumin
    5 tablespoons chili powder
    1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce

Cooked beans, rice or bread

Cheese

Green onions
    Sour cream

1. In a large skillet or Dutch oven with oil, brown beef, then sauté the onions and garlic in the oil until soft. Add the sugar, pepper, oregano, cumin, chili powder, jalapeno powder, tomato sauce, and 1 1/2 cups water (DO NOT ADD ALL AT ONCE; add just enough for desired consistency); stir well.
    2. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a low simmering boil and cook, partially covered, for 1 hour 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
    3. Serve with beans, rice, or bread on the side: all useful for muffling the heat. Also helpful is a tablespoon of sour cream.

Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia