Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New User/New Dealer

Owossoegger
Owossoegger Posts: 88
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hi All.  I am new to the egging world and let me say, I am hooked.  I now sell them in my fireplace shop in mid-michigan and am wanting to know, with so many options and accessories, what is the best stuff to stock?  What do most of you all like to use?  I personally use the large and love it!!    Thanks for your help.  K

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Don't mean to turn this around on you, but it would be interesting to know what size of eggs and accessories BGE sells the most of and why they don't have something like the accessories sold by High-Que, CGS etc...?
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390

There is some good opportunity here for you to find out the things all of the different users buy and love, and maybe you can pick up some extra sales that way, including spices, rubs, racks, thermapens........the list does not end!

Welcome aboard!

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Different types of gaskets might be a good idea or offer to change it out at purchase. My dealer offered a starter pack...various items.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    edited October 2012
    Welcome to the craziness! I think the standard BGE accessories (plate setter, pizza stone, nest, and some sort of vegetable holder) are a good place to start. Find some good Lump to carry and you will always get some traffic back into your store. The Naked Whiz is a great place to see reviews, how to, and a great place for recipes as is this forum. Things like BBQ Guru or Stoker systems are another good thing to carry. I have a DigiQ from BBQ Guru and bought it at my dealer here in Oklahoma. Rubs are another thing that makes a great dealer, lots of people on this site are very high on Dizzy Pig Rubs. I just ordered a sampler pack when I purchased a accessory online and haven't tried them yet. Thermapens or a similar insta-read thermometer are very useful as the biggest learning curve from switching from other grills to the Big Green Egg is to cook to temperature and not time. Remote thermometers are good for those who don't have a full controler setup and want to monitor cooks without opening up the lid to check temp. Maverick ET-732 is a favorite on this forum but ones like the iGrill are another option to use from your phone. Other than that point new Egg owners to this forum and the Naked Whiz site and get a egg infront of the store and do some demo cooks. Things like spatchcock chicken and pizza are some things that work really well on the egg and the taste is so much better than other grills. The Ceramic Grill Works and Ceramic Grill Store offer unique accessories but I don't know if they offer any sort of wholesale/ dealer options. If you can build tables that would be another great option to offer your customers. Also anything cast iron works great in the egg.

Best of luck and look forward to some posts/ pictures of your journey! 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • CGW1
    CGW1 Posts: 332
    As a fellow dealer and user, welcome and best of luck
    Franco Ceramic Grillworks www.ceramicgrillworks.com
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Wishing you the best of luck in your new venture. I hope you stick around and see what everybody is cooking and egg-cessories they are using. Pick our brains and ask questions, learn all you can. I think its a huge diservice that some dealers are doing. All they care about is selling the Egg, but couldn't offer the first piece of advice on how to use one or even how to light one. Arm yourself with a bit of knowledge, offer demo cooks outside of your store and the eggs will be rolling themselves out your door.

And don't forget to steer them to this site and let them know that any question they may have can and will be answered here.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• I wish my dealer had more of a selection of wood chunks.  Something other than HIckory, Apple, and Mesquite.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    carter422 said:
    I wish my dealer had more of a selection of wood chunks.  Something other than HIckory, Apple, and Mesquite.
    Check out Fruitawoodchunks or Joesbbqwood.com  online. Typically, if you by a certain amount they have free shipping. They also offer sampler packs that allow you to try different types before committing.
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    XL pizza stones. I stop at every BGE dealer I find while on the road and no one ever has them in stock! Always have one on hand!!! :)) My search continues..........
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • I live in mid-Michigan (guess where!).  Tell me about your shop.
    Flint, Michigan
  • carter422 said:
    I wish my dealer had more of a selection of wood chunks.  Something other than HIckory, Apple, and Mesquite.
    Check out Fruitawoodchunks or Joesbbqwood.com  online. Typically, if you by a certain amount they have free shipping. They also offer sampler packs that allow you to try different types before committing.
    I am now using Mojo Bricks but I do like fruita wood.
  • CGW1
    CGW1 Posts: 332
    big props to fruitawood, I just recently started carrying their chunks and having great success with them.

Franco Ceramic Grillworks www.ceramicgrillworks.com
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    See what the deal is on the deep dish pizza stones. I still have not seen one in person.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• We are a dealer here in CA. We cook alot and sell what we feel are the important items we find in each cook.   Some accessories we find more helpful than others, your own trail and error will help the most with new Egg buyers. IMO

What is is your store mix now?

Good luck. -Smitty

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Welcome!  Everything you need to know to stock and market is buried in these forums.  Use the search tool and check out a few gear threads.
    I bet if you sold lump at absolute rock bottom prices, you would keep all your eggers coming back. There is a store near me that sells all kinds of egg goodies but I never go. His lump is sky high.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • nolaegghead
    Yeah, that's the business model convenience store gas stations use.  Fuel - cheap. 

Take it one step further.  Get the peeps in your store, drug 'em with some wine tasting, then empty their wallets on eggcesories (bwahahahaha *evil laugh*) 
    I bet if you sold lump at absolute rock bottom prices, you would keep all your eggers coming back. There is a store near me that sells all kinds of egg goodies but I never go. His lump is sky high.
    Rock bottom, how about just reasonable? My dealer "gave" me a bag of BGE with my purchase. I compared my "free" bag with RO, and came to the conclusion that is was not worth 200% more. He also gave me a sample of some fantastic local BBQ sauce he was selling. I've been back twice for the sauce, but never for the lump. It would seem that eggers in general, are willing to pay a premium for the base product, but draw the line at buying overpriced accessories. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Yep. I know the owner of the local store I'm talking about. He's a great guy and I'd love to spend my cash with him but his prices are so high, there is no way.

He could get me in the door with lump and I'd likely buy some of his other overpriced goods.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Mickey had a great idea awhile back. We've used it and it's a great selling tool. Get a lap top or iPad and have in the area of your eggs. Have it on the BGE web site and show customers all the accessories as well as the forum. Get them involved and it will pay dividens.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • nolaegghead
    And offer a 10% off lump purchases for life if you purchase a BGE.  And carry some decent brands of lump.  I know you have to carry BGE brand...it's probably contractual, but carry some choices at decent prices....the 10% off will get people back in your store.  Or maybe 20 or 30 percent off...yeah.  I like that better.
  • Yep. I know the owner of the local store I'm talking about. He's a great guy and I'd love to spend my cash with him but his prices are so high, there is no way. He could get me in the door with lump and I'd likely buy some of his other overpriced goods.

+1  Please note Owossoegger, you have a good opportunity here.  Mid michigan does not have a decent BGE dealer.  Macsood's is the closest to me, but they have nothing!  They had to order a gasket kit and it took nearly two months for it to come in.  Give me a reason to come to Owosso and I will.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Hashmaker
    Hashmaker Posts: 149
    FWIW- the dealer closest to me is a pool/spa place that just happens to sell eggs. When I was shopping for one, the owner of the store sent a teenage girl over to help me. She handed me a catalog and knew nothing. For every question I had, she had to go ask the owner. I ended up driving to Atlanta for my egg. I would have liked to give a local business my money but their prices were high and they acted like they didn't care about egg sales. I've never seen them cook on them either. I think if you learn about the egg, do some demo cooking and have decent prices, eggheads will find you.
  • ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390

I drove for 2 hours to get mine.  The local dealers were pool places that had no idea, and the one "large" dealer in the area had no idea what a table nest was, even after a gave them the part number and the page it was in the catalog.  The people two hours away were nicer, more knowledgeable, and had what i wanted.  When i need something, i call them, pay for it and they ship it to me.  I don't need to deal with people who think they are doing me a favor.  I want to deal with people who appreciate my business no matter how much or little it is.

Definitely do demo cooks on the weekends!

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Also, Make sure that somehow people can find you through google by searching for the BGE. As I travel I look for stores and have a difficult time locating them. Usually have to google fireplace.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • WOW! you guys and gals are awesomely (is that a word?) helpful.  Thank you so much.  Such great advice and comments.  I look forward to cooking many meals on my egg and learning as much as I can from all of you. So much knowledge and again, much appreciated.  Keep on Eggin'  K
  • Dan4BBQ
    Dan4BBQ Posts: 271
    Another suggestion:  Open a branch in Orlando
  • GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501

Hello Owossoegger.

Welcome to Egg heaven.

How about an address. My work travels take me to Owosso from Bay City .I'll make it a point to stop in.

I love my BGE. Hey come to thing of it, I had it 1 year today.

I talk them up enough that a local propane dealer who has expanded to handle gassers has now has thoughts of handling them. I guess it was a copy of the kielbasa shots(with pics) I gave one of the ladies in his office that may have pushed them over the edge.

Best wishes !

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI