Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eastern VA/NC Slaw recipe

733102243 Posts: 38
edited October 2012 in Sides

Does anyone have a basic coleslaw recipe? I'm not talking Rachel Ray or Paula Deen but Episcopal Ladies Auxilliary or Wilbers coleslaw. Every recipe I find online is some foodie's 'take' on NC bbq coleslaw. My family is from Eastern NC. They thought garlic was exotic.
Get my drift?

Thanks

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    This might help:

Slaw, Coleslaw, North Carolina, Eastern Style

INGREDIENTS:  
    6   each medium heads, (about 36 cups)  

cabbage, finely shredded  
    1 1/2 cups    green onions, sliced  

1 1/2 quarts    mayonnaise or salad dressing  
    3/4 cup    vinegar  
    3 Tbs    celery seed  
    2 Tbs    salt, (or to taste)  

Procedure:
    1 Combine cabbage and onion in a large bowl. In a smaller bowl, blend mayonnaise, sugar, vinegar, celery seed and salt. Mix well and drizzle mayonnaise mixture over cabbage mix. Toss lightly to coat well. Refrigerate until serving.

Servings: 1

Recipe Type
    Salad, Side Dish

Recipe Source

Source: BBQ List, Carey Starzinger, 1996/08/12

North Carolina Pork Producers Association.

Slaw, Coleslaw, Red, Lexington, NC

INGREDIENTS:  
    100 lbs    Med. chopped cabbage (1 lb.)  
    6 quart    Ketchup (4 Tbs)  
    10 lbs    Sugar (3 Tbs)  

1/2 gallon    Vinegar (4%) (1 Tbs)  
    8 oz    Salt (1/2 tsp)  
    8 oz    Pepper (1/2 tsp)  
    1/4 tsp    Ground red pepper (pinch or so, to taste)  

Procedure:
    1 Lexington Barbecue, I thought I'd share their recipe for cole-slaw (you know, the kind you put in the sandwich with the Q). Pam and I were fortunate enough to visit Lexington Barbecue back in July. We really liked the slaw. It was a nice alternative to the mayo/half-n-half/cream based slaws typical of other areas. I wrote to Allen H., and he kindly shared their recipe. I reduced the quantities listed if you don't want to follow Allan's recipe (in parentheses). Mix all dry ingredients into the chopped cabbage, and let sit for 20 minutes. Then add the wet ingredients and mix well. Allow to refrigerate as long as possible before serving. We've made this twice since getting home. Used it on pork bbq sandwiches and as a side with ribs. Mmmmm good.

Recipe Type
    Salad

Recipe Source

Source: Ash Tray, 2008/04/02

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited October 2012
    Here are a few based on exhaustive research.  

:)) O:-) :D=))
    edited October 2012
    @733102243 Keep asking questions, it is a great way to learn.  Not everyone here responds with wisea$$ answers.  Some really do offer good info.  :D
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I apologize, just couldn't resist. Plus I though it would be informative "-term" removes it from a google search.  :)
    edited October 2012
    @733102243, Having never been to NC, I have no idea if this recipe is authentic, but in our household we have used it for "North Carolina" style pulled pork for the last 6 or 7 years. Two parts, first is a "Lexington Style" vinegar sauce to "flavor" the pork if you don't want coleslaw on the sandwich. If the PP is served with slaw the second part is 1 medium head of shredded cabbage mixed with the sauce to make NC coleslaw. From "Taming the Flame" by Elizabeth Karmel.
    To make about 3 cups of the sauce, mix the following and let sit in the fridge, 10 minutes or as long as you want:
    2 cups apple cider vinegar
    1/2 cup Ketchup
    1/4 cup packed brown sugar
    2 Tbs white sugar
    1 Tbs Kosher salt
    1 Tbs ground white pepper
    1 tsp red chile flakes (up to 3 tsp if you like it hot - the longer this sits the hotter it gets)
    1/2 tsp ground black pepper. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    Go to Amazingribs.com... Click on recipes, click cole slaw. He has all kinds of slaw to choose from. The owner's name is Meathead.
  • r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    Here are a few based on exhaustive research.  

:)) O:-) :D=))
    @nolaegghead that is a pretty good way to end the work day...thanks!
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• Dover_Gal
    Dover_Gal Posts: 116
    The Eastern or Virginia slaw is a vinegar slaw (my mom's is like that)  I like the classic creamy, West Virginia slaw and I have a recipe that is surprisingly good because it's ridiculously simple:

• Bag of Shredded Cabbage Cole Slaw Mix  (I shred my own, fresher)
    • 1/2 cup of Mayonnaise (You can use Hellman's Light or Dukes with NO problem)
    • 1/4 cup of Sugar
    • Salt & Pepper {the pepper makes this dressing really pop too – so don't skimp on it!}
    • 1/8 cup of Heinz Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar
    Blend dressing, mix with slaw. I tried celery seed as a variation--didn't like it. Red cabbage and carrot mixed into the slaw are good, but they make it reddish in color.

• Bridges Barbeque lodge in Shelby, NC has an awesome red slaw. Check it out if you're ever out that way. I don't have that recipe but my favorite go-to is a mayo based. Goes great with pulled pork or shredded beef:
    Shredded cabbage (best done by hand with a nice sharp knife)
    Mayo (Dukes, of course)
    Horseradish
    Lemon juice
    S & P

Adjust the quantities for your own taste, heat, and creaminess.
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle
  • Red slaw is the best!!!
  • Red slaw is the best!!!

+1

LBGE Atlanta, GA