Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New DigiQ DX 2 on the way! Questions....

mgw619
mgw619 Posts: 10
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
Well I have finally ordered a DigiQ and its going to be here in time for this weekend. Not sure I will get to use it though. I have already committed to cooking pp and hash for a crowd of about 50 friends getting together for the GA/SC game on Saturday on my 250 reverse flow trailer unit........ But anyway I have a question or two... I see that there is an adjustable damper on the fan. Who should I adjust it for low and slow cooks?..... 2nd, I assume the daisy wheel top should stay most ways shut as I would normally do for a low and slow... Is this right? Any other tips for using the DigiQ would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!!
Evans, GA - 250 Reverse Flow (trailer), Large BGE, custom built cedar table (by me). When in doubt, smoke it.

Comments

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    I have a Large BGE and leave the damper on my pit viper 10cfm fan wide open. As far as the daisy wheel, the beauty of the device is as much as you open is as much as it will kick the fan on. I have it to where it is closed but leave the "petals" open and it stays within 2° of what you set it at. I'm sure people more technical than me can give you a better explanation but it that is the setting that works for me. I hope this helps. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • For low & slows with my DigiQ2, I started with the daisy petals 1/2 open and the same with the damper on the fan.  Going wide open for me allows too much air when the fan is not working and I find my temp starts creeping up.  Ususally I shut my daisy and the fan damper even more than what I described, but I think you should start with halfway and adjust from there to fit your situation. 

Congrats on your toy!  Happy Egging! 

Flint, Michigan
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    I have an XL and for cooking temps under 300 I set the fan damper to 50%.  The damper's main purpose is to control passive airflow ... which is the air moving through the fan when it is not running.  With the damper vent wide open, you can overshoot your target temp.

The top vent gets should be set the same as you would if you were not using the Guru.

My best advice would be to ignore/forget the food probe (and the ramp feature) for your first few cooks.  Just learn to use the Guru with the pit probe and get comfortable with that first.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    If you exceed your setpoint, close the DigiQ pit viper damper more.  I typically keep it around 1/4 - 1/2 for low and slows.  The daisy wheel I keep barely cracked - idea being I keep more combustion gas in the egg for a better smoke...and smoke ring.  That said, it really doesn't matter much where the top damper is set, the egg is modulated by the pit viper.  You could leave it wide open.
    If you exceed your setpoint, close the DigiQ pit viper damper more.  I typically keep it around  1/4 - 1/2 for low and slows.  The daisy wheel I keep barely cracked - idea being I keep more combustion gas in the egg for a better smoke...and smoke ring.  That said, it really doesn't matter much where the top damper is set, the egg is modulated by the pit viper.  You could leave it wide open.
    Like nola says, starting out with the damper 1/2 open is what the manufacturer says to do, then you can adjust as needed.  I have hardly moved it out of the 50% position since I've had mine.
  • mgw619
    Thanks a lot for all of the good advice guys. I will posts some pics and results of how my first guru smoke goes... I'll try to remember and get some good pics of this weekends cook on my reverse flow for all the ones that enjoy seeing a bunch of fat butts (cooking for about 60 hungry, liquord up mouths)!!!!! And lastly... GO DAWGS!
    Evans, GA - 250 Reverse Flow (trailer), Large BGE, custom built cedar table (by me). When in doubt, smoke it.
  • mgw619
    Saturday cook
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    mgw619 said:
    Saturday cook
    Uh, am I missing something here?
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Duganboy said:
    mgw619 said:
    Saturday cook
    Uh, am I missing something here?
    Yes.  Your dinner invite and beer. 
    :@)
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.