Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

fish question

Options
brycos
brycos Posts: 137
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
is frozen fish (swordfish, grouper) any good?  If so, what's the best way to prepare it?

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options

Swordfish and grouper are a good ways apart in terms of flavour and texture. As far as I've seen swordfish are generally steaked and grouper filetted or done whole. There are lots of ways to do either depending what you want to finish with.

• brycos
    Options
    sorry, my question wasn't worded too well.  The swordfish would be steaks, grouper would be filetted.  I understand fresh fish is preferable, but how does frozen fish do on the egg after being thawed?  It was caught about 2 weeks ago and frozen 3 days later (so i'm told).
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I'm in the Toronto area and most of the fish available has been frozen. It works well.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options

brycos said:
    sorry, my question wasn't worded too well.  The swordfish would be steaks, grouper would be filetted.  I understand fresh fish is preferable, but how does frozen fish do on the egg after being thawed?  It was caught about 2 weeks ago and frozen 3 days later (so i'm told).
    Probably edible, but that's a pretty long time to be held before freezing, even for land meats.

Smell is the guide for me.

There's an Asian market I visit. They have lots of fish, including a huge freezer full. If the fish is new in the freezer, there will be no "fishy" smell from the packages. Others that are weeks (or more) old will have a smell. They are often useable after a rinse, and 15 min. in lemon juice. I've never been sick, but the flavor has sometimes left a lot to be desired.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    im thinking swordfish is mostly frozen so it would be fine. grouper, unlee you eat it all the time you might not notice a difference. if you fried the grouper you would never know
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • brycos
    Options
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    most commercial fish you buy has been frozen on the boats anyway. it's actually way better to freeze it on the spot than to be out fishing for 5 more days, then sitting on a dock for 2 more and then shipping out to somewhere. I know yours was fresh caught, but knowing that almost all fish you buy (yes, and especially sashimi grade fish) have all been flash frozen at some point, you can assume it's just fine to eat frozen fish from the egg or anywhere else.

3 days is borderline for any fish but like they said above, go by smell. being frozen won't hurt it, being refrigerated for 3 days before freezing might though.

My Guess is that it's just fine and you will love them both.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX