Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cornish Game Hens

Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum

Been way too long since I fired up the Egg. 9 days!! I know, I know. I was out of town, but I did use my old offset and I did cook over live fire during that time. With the weather changing and the evenings getting cooler, last night was the perfect time to sit on the patio with a cold beverage, fire her up and throw some meat on. Earlier in the week, I spotted some Cornish Game Hens sitting in the freezer and took them out to thaw. Decided to keep them relatively simple and spatchcocked them, let them air dry in the fridge for 2 hours (that's all the time I had), applied some Grill Mates Montreal Chicken Grinder from McCormick. They went on to the Egg at 350, using the grate extender from BGE (I really need to toss this and get an Adjustable Rig) and used apple wood for smoke.

Checked on them after about 30 minutes. My Egg was running a bit hotter in the rear, so I gave it a 180 degree spin

After about 50 minutes they were done and ready to be pulled

Served them up with some broccoli and some spaghetti that was tossed with pesto that my brother and his gf had made.

Pretty darn tasty meal. The CGHs, IMHO, had a slightly stronger, richer flavor than normal sized chickens and were more tender and juicy. The spice I choose and the apple wood paired with it perfectly, not being too strong and overshadowing the hens, but allowing the flavor of the hens to really shine through. I don't think there is any polite way to eat these, and since it was just Mrs. G and myself, I picked it up, ripped off the leg and went to town, juice dripping down my chin and hands. Messy, but oh so worth it. And there is something to be said about not fighting over the favorite parts of the chicken. We both got a leg, a thigh, a breast and a wing. Not to mention there is a whole nother one we can either eat for leftovers of figure out something to do with. Maybe pizza?

I think next time, I'm gonna leave the CGHs whole and stuff them with some kind of wild rice, mushroom and sausage filling....

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    Looks great Griffin!  I haven't thought about Cornish Hens before.  Much better size meal when you are cooking for a crowd and do not need a whole bird wouldn't you say?
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• Gorgeous cook, Griffin! I love your idea of stuffing them... great idea! 
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited October 2012

Have done them stuffed and spatchcocked. I am in the spatchcock camp and yours looks good...

PS: I guess I have not noticed before but Jason you do eat a well balenced meal my friend. A club I now have to join.....

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griffin

@r270ba - Thanks. I think normally people serve one per person, but we were fine splitting one, More than enough to fill us up.

@NecessaryIndulg - The more I think about the stuffing idea the more I am digging on it. I'm just worried because you always hear horror stories about people getting sick at Thanksgiving due to the stuffing in the bird. I've never stuffed any kind of bird before...

@Mickey - Thanks. Quick and easy and since they are pretty much just an adolescent chicken, why not?

Rowlett, Texas

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Looks great Griffin!  That is something I have been meaning to try.  I wonder how many CGH I could fit on the small??  Thinking about something different for next time I have the small "in the field". 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Too close to lunch to be looking at these.  Looks awesome.  CGHs are on our shopping list.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Griffin

@SmokeyPitt - I'm not familiar with cooking on the small at all, never done it. I think I could have gotten four on my large, more if they weren't spatched.

@SWVABeanCounter - make sure to share with us what you do with yours.

Rowlett, Texas

• I've only stuffed birds with aromatics, never a stuffing I want to eat.  
    I once heard that you shouldn't stuff the bird until just before you put it on the cooker, maybe that is to help reduce the chance of salmonella poisoning?   

I say it's worth a shot... but I also eat raw egg in aioli and cookie dough.  ;)

I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Griffin

I found a recipe that looked good taht suggested the same thing....not until right before you cook it. Also heard not to cram as much as you can get in there, but just lightly stuff it. I'll try it one day.

Nothing wrong with raw egg in aioli and cookie dough.

:D

Rowlett, Texas

• Perfect skin color, Grif !  I think you should stuff the next one with jalapeño cornbread.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Mickey
    I've only stuffed birds with aromatics, never a stuffing I want to eat.  
    I once heard that you shouldn't stuff the bird until just before you put it on the cooker, maybe that is to help reduce the chance of salmonella poisoning?   

I say it's worth a shot... but I also eat raw egg in aioli and cookie dough.  ;)

She runs with sissors guys.....  I am into the raw cookie dough (like better than cooked) as well.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Great ideas!  CGHs are on my list!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    If you see the Rock hens, they're a little bigger version of the Cornish Hen but have meatier breasts, and are slightly larger. 
    That's a fine lookin' meal you cooked there Griff!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Mickey
    edited October 2012

If you see the Rock hens, they're a little bigger version of the Cornish Hen but have meatier breasts, and are slightly larger. 

They are very good and I like the size
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos