Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

3 Eggs for sale OR learn how to cook vegetables

Options
Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,674
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
Just back from neurologist and unless you can cook vegetables, the Eggs will not be of much help. Follow up from stroke a couple of years ago and was told point blank I am the poster boy for Alzheimer’s. Said best would be vegan diet but after really looking at me and talking said if I did not sway outside of the Mediterranean would be very good or as good as he thought I could make it.
So No Beef, No Pork etc…. The Mediterranean diet says less than 16oz beef/pork per month. The chicken breast only or fish only and that the size of a deck of cards. Crap, I used to spill that much.
So what I am asking my friends for is recipes for vegetables on the egg. I just have not ever cooked them (once I think) on the egg.
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• miscjames
    Options
    Mickey sorry to hear that. have you gotten a second opinion ? there are new studies out showing we are to increase our fats and lower our carbs. i would do some googling and calling around.
  • probe1957
    probe1957 Posts: 222
    Options
    Wow.  Sorry to hear about that, Mickey. 

If I couldn't enjoy a good steak, I would just as soon be dead.  Unfortunately, Alzheimer's is worse than death so you must ball up and pay attention to your doctor, difficult as I imagine it will be.

I do cook veggies quite a bit on the Egg.  IMO, simple is better.  I will chop/slice/dice whatever I have.  Zucchini, squash, tomatoes, onions, carrots or whatever.  Throw it all together.  Drizzle with olive oil.  Add a little minced garlic, kosher salt and fresh pepper.  Stir fry in a grill wok.
  • JerkChicken
    Options
    Sorry to hear....

My favorite grilled veggie is corn on the cob of course. I also like to toss some zucchini and squash slices in some Italian dressing and sear em' hot n fast it's terrific. Even my carnivorous kids like them.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    My new favorite has been a variation of griffins zucunni boats.

Goat cheese, quinoa, roasted corn, black olives and topped with havarti.

Put in Pyrex dish and cook at 350 with apple wood.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Oh Mickey so sorry to hear that. What a bummer. Time to amp up the seafood and chicken and veggies. Lots of ways to do veggies. Doc always has a big ole heaping in his pictures. Get creative. How about trying out some paellas?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    On a more serious note, I'll gladly take on the burden of your egg ownership. I promise to send pics of them on their birthday. :ar!
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Hashmaker
    Hashmaker Posts: 149
    Options
    A simple dressing for most vegetables I grill is...lightly coat with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder and a little balsamic vinegar then grill to your liking. It's good on asparagus, green beans, squash, zucchini, eggplant and mushrooms if you like them. Good luck to you and I hope you can find some vegetables that you'll enjoy!
  • Mickey
    Options
    On a more serious note, I'll gladly take on the burden of your egg ownership. I promise to send pics of them on their birthday. :ar!
    You are very kind Travis my firend. But lunches now will have to be much more  healty. Will call you.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Dave in Florida
    Options
    LOL....I was thinking this same thing but didn't want to be the first to post it.   Mickey, good luck, I hope it all turns out well for you.  Time to just learn a new egging technique and new methods for veggies.  Looking at the Mayo Clinic fish and seafood is in play at least.  http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/mediterranean-diet/CL00011

I'll be looking forward to seeing some of the veggie posts you come up with to try out.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Baysidebob
    Options

Spider and wok for endless combinations.  I normally avoid veggies but once I learned not to over cook them on the wok that has started to changel.

My actuary says I'm dead.
  • Mickey
    Options
    LOL....I was thinking this same thing but didn't want to be the first to post it.   Mickey, good luck, I hope it all turns out well for you.  Time to just learn a new egging technique and new methods for veggies.  Looking at the Mayo Clinic fish and seafood is in play at least.  http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/mediterranean-diet/CL00011

I'll be looking forward to seeing some of the veggie posts you come up with to try out.

Thanks Dave. I was reading that last night and one called Oldways and The Engine 2 Diet.

Found that the Egg is not in any of them....

• Austin  Egghead
    Options
    This must be the diet du jour.  The Dr told the other half the same thing. We have started grilling veggies and I have found that most rubs play very well with veggies.  Found a recipe from Patti's Kitchen for chayote and will be trying that after we get back for Texarkana.  
    Root veggies steamed on the egg and then roasted work great and taste great and squash with C&S is a winner.  Call or email
    Joan 
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited October 2012
    Options
    hmmmm, I must've missed the formal declaration by the Health & Human Services dept or the Surgeon General, or the CDC that eating meat causes Alzheimers??? 
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Little Steven
    Options

Mickey,

That is a shame! If you like Indian food I have many recipes that contain no meat and to eat them you wouldn't even know or think about it. Let me know

• Ellis
    Ellis Posts: 195
    Options

Sorry Mickey, that kinda sucks. Like Travis said there's Griffins zucunni boats or the bell peppers stuffed with chicken or tutkey and the artichokes. I could make meal out of just the artichokes. The doc didn't say anthing about the booz did he, if not you looking good. Hell Micky boats on egg 1, chokes on egg 2 and swordfish on # 3. Now you don't have to sell one to Travis.

• FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    Options
    Mickey, I asked people here their favorite veggie recipes, here is a link to that thread.  
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Mrs. G made creamed spinach in a cast iron dutch oven on the Egg once. In fact, I think that was part of our first cook. Not very healthy as I remember, but damned tasty. I could see if she has a recipe if you want....

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Ah, Mickey, so sorry. Learning a new way to cook is tough. Roasted vegetables, indirect at 400 or so for 45 minutes, would be great on the Egg. Vegetarian chili can be just plain awesome -- and I image cooking it on the Egg will make it even more so. For that matter, any number of bean dishes would be great -- Cuban black beans, Caribbean pigeon beans with habanero, Texas ranch beans, they all would be fantastic on the Egg. (I'm giving myself ideas here.) Serve them with quinoa instead of rice for an added layer of nutrition. 

I have two great vegetarian cookbooks to recommend: A Year in a Vegetarian Kitchen, by Jack Bishop, editorial director of Cook's Illustrated; and Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian. Also check out Mediterranean Light by Martha Rose Shulman. 

Good luck. I see myself going this way after my husband gets a long-overdue physical this month. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Sorry for your news but good to attack it head on and make some positive changes.
    Some of the best Bento's I have had included

Red & Green Bell Pepper
    Red or White Onion
    Shrooms

Cook white or brown rice, dice up veggies after grilling and mix. Great stuff with or without Meat (salmon works).

Asparagus and Green Beans no brainer can just be tossed on the grill with some olive oil coating.

Dont forget ABT combinations without the meat, Ive done the jalapenos with cream cheese and green onion that tasted just fine.

Seattle, WA
  • Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Mickey- hate to hear you received bad news. My uncle has a similar dilemma about eating beef and pork but for a different reason and by far not as serious as the news you received (he got bit by a lonestar tick). Talked with him this past Sunday and he stated that the first couple of months where a tough adjustment but he is used to it now. Plenty of good recipes on here for the veggies. On the meat note, sounds like you can still enjoy poultry. If so you can make turkey-q which really tastes like pulled pork. Just smoke a turkey with your favorite rub on it and chop or pull the meat then pour some eastern nc BBQ sauce on it and you are good to go.
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    Mickey sorry to hear about your bad news however, don't give up on the egg just yet I personally think this is the healthy way to cook and your fellow eggheads will come to the rescue with great recipes.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    looking at my initial post in this thread, it could seem to be callous, that was not my intent.  Sucks you had the stroke (several of my close family have had them, my grandad, my dad, and my aunt). 

However, what I was trying to point out (albeit in a roundabout, callous way) was that there is absolutely NO definitive scientific consensus declaration that eating meat = alzheimers. 

There are some studies which *suggest* a *possible* link, that ppl w/ alzheimers have higher concentrations of certain proteins found only in saturated fats, and some other suggestions regarding nitrates & nitrites (which are found in MANY, MANY, MANY different foods, not just meat). 

However, the question is regarding causation vs correlation, and the causation (ie, the *cause*) has not been scientifically proven.  That's why they say there "may" be a link, or it *could* lead to it - the point is, they don't know. 

And if your doc told you flat out that meat = alzheimers & that you had to stop eating meat or else you'd get alzheimers - then your doc is a quack, plain & simple (or at the very least, playing loose w/ scientific studies & data). 

Sorry to get all "preachy" regarding the topic, but it irks me to see people who are supposed to be versed in science (ie, doctors) give such reckless advice.  We (and they) do NOT know definitively that eating meat *causes* alzheimers, any more than not eating meat, or eating jelly-beans, or eating fish, or drinking milk, or drinking alcohol, etc, etc, etc. 

My great-grandmother lived to be 103 & she grew up on a farm in West Virginia & she ate meat & dairy every day.  And her mind was as sharp as a tack up till the day she died. 

Perhaps the most significant difference w/ today's generations vs those from 100 years ago is that our "meat" is factory farmed & injected w/ all kinds of hormones, chemical, antibiotics, etc, and is fed stuff the animals would NEVER eat in nature. 

I would say that the factory farming might play more of a role than just "meat" in general - that it's not necessarily the "meat" per say, but rather what our factory farming culture puts *into* the meat (both before and after it becomes "meat").  

Also, humans have only been eating "wheat" & "grain" based products (ie, breads, pastas, etc) for a lil over 10,000 years or so (plus or minus a few thousand).  Anyway, the point is that we've been eating meat for a LOT longer than processed carbs... so who knows, maybe that has something to do w/ it??

Anyway, sorry for the soapbox... it can never hurt to eat better anyway (unless of course in a few years they say that olive oil or fruits & veggies "causes" cancer or alzheimers)  @-)

So, where's that "bubble" I was talking about in another post - the one I'm gonna live in?? :-?
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • KingRover
    KingRover Posts: 115
    Options

Good luck Mickey - think of it as a new culinary adventure and experiment with grilling stuffed portabellas, poblanos, zucchini. Kale is not for everyone but crisps up nicely like chips (google Kale chips) and is very good for you. Give a little char to asparagus and broccoli with some direct heat.

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Mickey,

Don't toss those Eggs just yet. Chicken breasts, well, I suppose even those could be made well in an Egg. But if you have good fish, the Egg makes 'em better.

My eldest daughter is an "ovo-lactarian." She eats dairy products (which I guess you will need to limit)  and eggs. My elder DIL will eat stuff w. eggs or milk, she just can't know they are there. Any rate, I get to cook for both. I try to make stuff the meatatarians will like also. Roasted mushrooms and many toasted nuts will add a great savory flavor. I made a paté last Christmas that was mostly roasted walnuts, red lentils and miso sauce. It was so meat-like my younger son cautioned my daughter she could not eat it. 'cause it was meat. Not!

One of my Egg favorites for vegetables is a roasted pumpkin. Get a small one, cut it open,  seed and smear the inside we. oil, and stuff w. a mixture of lentils, rice, mushrooms, etc. Cook w.the top back on, and wait till frothy goo oozes out. Can be sliced then, and served steaming hot.

Check w. a nutritionist. Grass fed beef and bison may be OK. Likewise rabbit (made a couple of great bunnies this weekend, not fat at all) or dark meat turkey.

And, something I made even before getting an Egg, roast root vegetable packets. Double foil a bunch of peeled 'taters, onion, garlic, and carrot, maybe some rutabaga, add some salt and oil, and grill till you can hear the oil sizzling. Then open, and let brown.

Hope you can adapt. IO'm pretty sure I'll need to do so soon myself.

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Mickey - devastating, just devastating. Stay on the horse my friend. I want to echo what @hillbilly-hightech says, same went for my Dad, stroke at age 74 while on vacation and his Dr in Florida had exactly the same "instructions" and diagnosis as you have received. When Dad returned to Canada, his Dr. here said moderation was the key, not specifically elimination. Anyway, 10 years later, he was still one of the sharpest knives in the drawer when liver cancer finally took him. 

There are lots of ways to grill veggies and as some one mentioned @Doc_Eggerton and @Hashmaker have lots of ways to help you (and the rest of).
    Take care and good luck.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited October 2012
    Options

Tough news my friend.

With some modifications, I think it won't be all that bad.

First, DO NOT SELL THE EGGS.

Second, I agree that the mini + wok is your friend here. 

Quick marinating veggies as you would protein in stir fry using the same ingredients(Shinkiang, Soy, Fish, Sherry, etc) and adding chiles, minced garlic and ginger is golden.  The fresh and flavorful cuisine will keep it eggciting.  You could even add nuts into veggie stir frys.  Stir fry reheats are awesome at work, and can be portioned out during the workweek.  

Garden pizzas are good eats.  Dice up your favorites and toss it on.  Would also be ideal to stretch out the deck of cards (protein). 

Portabellas have a meat like appearance and texture.  Marinated or even stuffed are also, good eats.

I'm sure the Mrs will keep you on track.

;)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• scooter759
    Options

Wow, sorry to hear that Mickey.  Hate to hear that happen to anyone, but to a fellow egger with as much passion as you really hits deep. We hope for the best for you.  Naked Whiz has some veggie recipes on that site that are pretty good. I use the Wokked Vegetables a lot, great flavor in that marinade.

Not sure if your diet restricts you on dairy products, but as you know the egg makes great pizza's. We have no problems cooking up meatless pizza's, just red onions, mushrooms, sauce and cheese.

If you don't already have one of these, you should consider getting one. I prefer the covered basket with the removable handle, but it can be a pain to clean with all the caramelization you get sticking to it. The square one is a Weber product and holds up well with high heat.

Good luck.

Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • Ellis
    Ellis Posts: 195
    Options
    Hell Mickey, after all these great tasty sounding posts I'm going to get a neurologist :))
  • Mickey
    Options
    Hillbilly-Hightech he did not say meat as you said in: And if your doc told you flat out that meat = alzheimers & that you had to stop eating meat or else you'd get alzheimers - then your doc is a quack, plain & simple (or at the very least, playing loose w/ scientific studies & data). This was in my case, not all cases. The problems with the stroke is a real lead.

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    My new favorite has been a variation of griffins zucunni boats. Goat cheese, quinoa, roasted corn, black olives and topped with havarti. Put in Pyrex dish and cook at 350 with apple wood.

Made these as well, Very tasty.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.