Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Good but not great

GLW
GLW Posts: 178
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Just finished two beautiful 1-1/2" thick bone in pork chops. They were good but not as good as they looked. I lightly oiled, sea salt, pepper and smoked paprika. Direct at about 500 with internal temp of 140. Not over or under cooked but just not that great of a cook. What did I miss?
When in doubt add more pepper.

Comments

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Pictures!  ;)  Have you ever tried free range organic pork? That will give you a great chop.
  • Did you brine them first?  I always like to give my thick chops a 4-6 hour soak in brine.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • GLW
    That's what I did wrong! These were really thick. A brine would have done the trick. Thanks Nibble
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    They may have been a little over cooked. Next time I would take them off at 130 and let rest.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    With  a chop that thick you need to REALLY season the outside if you want to have flavor in each bite.  I'd guess adding a little more of what you had, or coating with a nice thick layer of kosher salt and black pepper then your seasoning might have helped.  For my taste, pork needs more than the amount of seasoning you described.  Remember that seasoning only affects the surface it's touching and very, very slightly penetrates the meat.  

9 times of of 10 when I help a new BBQ/Grilling person out it's either a lack or over amount of seasoning, or a case of over or undercooking the meat.

Just throwing out ideas, if these don't apply then hopefully someone else will be along soon with more suggestions.
    Frank
  • GLW
    Thanks guys. I'll try again next week.
  • Think you might have been too hot. I cook most pork at 250* and it always turns out well.
  • I agree with Granny.  I think you over cooked them a tad.
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    What kind of chops?  I've been leaning toward the center cut loin chops.  They basically look like a T-Bone wih the loin on one side and the tenderloin on the other.  Even brined sometimes a  think loin chop is just going to be tough.
  • Did you brine them first?  I always like to give my thick chops a 4-6 hour soak in brine.
    I have yet to brine chops.  Any suggestions on a good brine for pork chops and chicken you can share?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    If I don't have time to brine, this is what I do. Rub both sides with worcestershire sauce, coat both sides with Accent, Lawreys seasoning salt and lemon pepper. Sear both sides ( 1-1/2 minutes, rotate 45 degrees for another 1-1/2 min., flip and do the same to the other side.) Finish @ 350 to 400 dome, raised direct to 140 degrees ( usually takes about 20 minutes). Always moist and flavorful.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • GLW
    Great procedure. I'll try that.
    Thanks
    GLW
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited September 2012
    Think you might have been too hot. I cook most pork at 250* and it always turns out well.
    Agreed, cook lower and slower - treat it more like a mini roast. All the juices stay inside. (I know this is cheating to most of you - but once internal is at about 110, I fire up the gasser, cast grate, by the time the chops hit 130-135, onto the grid they go for sear marks - maybe < 1 minute each side)
    I have never tried to take the chops off early maybe 120-125, hold them while I set up the egg for searing. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • I don't have a gasser :((

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• GLW
    I'll try a lower temp and brine first.
    Thanks
  • On the last thick chops I did I chopped up some green apple mixed with a bit of butter (not marg.) brown sugar and some fresh chopped rosemary cut a pocket in the chops stuffed and grilled direct at about 500 Mmmmmmm Mmmmmm man were they tasty
  • On the last thick chops I did I chopped up some green apple mixed with a bit of butter (not marg.) brown sugar and some fresh chopped rosemary cut a pocket in the chops stuffed and grilled direct at about 500 Mmmmmmm Mmmmmm man were they tasty
    Granny Smith apples, brown sugar and ROSEMARY?  I never would have figured rosemary with the apples & brown sugar!
    Flint, Michigan
    How's the weather in the nation's capitol? Two frosts here so far

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I'm a big fan of the T Rex method--where you get your BGE hot enough to sear the chops 550+ (I tend to go WAY on the really hot side for searing). Sear each side for 90 seconds to 2 minutes. Bring the chops indoors while the Egg cools down for 20 minute or so and when you're down to 300 or 350 put the chops back on until you get 130ish in the internal temp. You can get more specific instructions on how to T Rex at www.nakedwhiz.com.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    billyray said:
    If I don't have time to brine, this is what I do. Rub both sides with worcestershire sauce, coat both sides with Accent, Lawreys seasoning salt and lemon pepper. Sear both sides ( 1-1/2 minutes, rotate 45 degrees for another 1-1/2 min., flip and do the same to the other side.) Finish @ 350 to 400 dome, raised direct to 140 degrees ( usually takes about 20 minutes). Always moist and flavorfull

GLW, Here's some 1-1/2" boneless I did a while back using the method I described above
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • GLW
    Perfect!!!