Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Aoooooga - Aoooooga, Warning Warning, Bacon Shortage

Doc_Eggerton
Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    NNNNNNNNNNNNooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    edited September 2012
    Actually the only "bacon" I've eaten in a long time is the pork loin to Canadian bacon exercise on the Egg, but there's plenty of folks here who seem to have a bacon explosion weekly.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    oh noes!!!
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Sad day.....how will we ever survive with even higher prices for bacon. :) In all reality I am actually a bit bummed. I love bacon and at this point I buy it sparingly due to the increase in price over the last 2 years. Now i will buy it even less. Its just hard to justify. But then again everything has gone up in price in recent years. 
  • I will pay pretty high prices for bacon...
    Boom
  • There is an article on wired.com about a true 'bacon burger' I'm going to try this weekend. I'll try to find a link.
    Boom
  • This just ruined my day

XLBGE 
  • Like Homer Simpson, I just realized that bacon, ham, pork chops and pork shoulder all come from one fabulous creature! This is troublesome, very troublesome...... 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Love your title!  Great use of

Onomatopoeia!

1large BGE and 1 well used mini BGE living in coastal South and North Carolina!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited September 2012
    And here I thought he was trying to use a naval warning

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Not a suggestive thread title, but amusing just the same.  If everything's better with bacon, then a lot of things just got worse.
    Flint, Michigan
  • I just read what I wrote.  I was trying to be funny, but it came out depressing and bleak.  Sorry about that!  I think I'll stock up on bacon!!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Thanks! Unfortunately, I share more with our cousins to the south, I am a milk piranha, we live so close to the US, cross border is a way of life (don't forget we just drive across, no bridge, no toll).  Although, come to think of it we buy most of our pork in Canada. Butts are better in the States, but chops and loins are almost the same price. Organic chicken in the US (not the FrankenChics) is 1/2 price... Murphy does it to me every time, I just get comfortable with this PP thing and the price is going to go up. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Yeah,

I have an hour and a half drive to the border. Fortunately I'm in the US on business a lot. Dollar is helping but killing my US accounts.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Next time I go to the Great White North, I want to pick up a bag of Maple Leaf lump.  The Canuck Eggers here seem to like it.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Best lump there is. Got a bum rap on TNW cause he got a small bag after his first 8 kilo bag and he downgraded it. Check his original analysis.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• A2Z
    A2Z Posts: 99

What a bunch of media hype.  If there is a bacon shortage, there will be a pork shoulder and rib shortage as well.  I do expect all meat prices to go up due to the shortage of feed in the midwest.

I have a high school buddy in Nebraska with over 5000 head of hogs on feed,  When there is a slump in price or increase in feed cost, the only thing that changes is who is raising them.  Either small farmer or the large producers.

• A2Z said:

What a bunch of media hype.  If there is a bacon shortage, there will be a pork shoulder and rib shortage as well.  I do expect all meat prices to go up due to the shortage of feed in the midwest.

I have a high school buddy in Nebraska with over 5000 head of hogs on feed,  When there is a slump in price or increase in feed cost, the only thing that changes is who is raising them.  Either small farmer or the large producers.

+1, well said. The weather has really screwed the corn crop. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Maybe bacon will be more scarce (less relative supply by weight) than other (leaner) pork cuts because the higher price of feed will result in overall leaner pigs.  Just like people, pigs put on fat in their belly.
    edited September 2012
    It maybe wrong, but I find it quite amusing that we spend easily over $1k+ on our Eggs and accessories, but a rise in the price of bacon is reason to get upset.
    With the amount of money that I spend/waste on other things, bacon going up in price is the least of my worries.

People will get upset, downright mad when the price per gallon of gas goes up $0.10 right before they fill up.  On average it's a 16 gallon gas tank they're filling up.  That's a loss of $1.60.  If they let the loss of $1.60 bother them that much, I'm surprised that they spend anything at all.

I just have a different perspective on these things, this rant wasn't meant to upset anybody.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• To make sure I'm covered, I just got back from Costco.  Bought 10 pounds of bacon.  I'm set for a week !!  :))

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• YEMTrey said:
    It maybe wrong, but I find it quite amusing that we spend easily over $1k+ on our Eggs and accessories, but a rise in the price of bacon is reason to get upset.
    With the amount of money that I spend/waste on other things, bacon going up in price is the least of my worries.

People will get upset, downright mad when the price per gallon of gas goes up $0.10 right before they fill up.  On average it's a 16 gallon gas tank they're filling up.  That's a loss of $1.60.  If they let the loss of $1.60 bother them that much, I'm surprised that they spend anything at all.

I just have a different perspective on these things, this rant wasn't meant to upset anybody.
    No worries, that's your perspective.  I think the difference is that the Egg is a luxury item that most folks don't have, whereas gas is something most folks need to live / travel on a day-to-day basis, and those costs add up. 

With the way inflation is going, and the Gov devaluing the dollar by continuing "Quantitative Easing" and the middle class getting more & more taxes, fees, higher costs of stuff dumped on them, there are a lot of folks getting upset at the ever increasing cost of everyday items. 

JMHO
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee