Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A Surprise Pork Rub That You Should Try!

cortguitarman
cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Ok, so I made 2 butts this weekend and they were my best yet. I usually mix up my own rub, but I was in a hurry. I went to the grocery store and picked up McCormack Pork Rub. It was only $3 for a container and it was great. This big name run will be my go to for butts from now on.
Mark Annville, PA

Comments

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

I love that rub.   Not nearly as "excotic" sounding as some rub titles.   But its very good.

Cookin in Texas
  • Did it have a lot of sodium or msg in the mix? I really try to stay away from the rubs that are high in either of those ingredients even though a good amount of salt is needed for a pork butt. 
  • Is it McCormick Pork Rub?
    These folks make good products, been around for years.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • @Skiddymarker Yes, it is McCormick Pork Rub. I know they've been around for years. You just never see it mentioned in all of the rub discussions on the forum.

@SmokingOzarksBBQ I can't say for sure. I don't have any left to look at the label. I also injected the butt with a mixture of apple juice, pineapple juice, salt, soy sauce, hot sauce and brown sugar.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I tried the dizzy dust for the first time this weekend....better than the Tony C's I've been using. The injection sounds good....I've never injected a butt....that kinda sounds wrong. The injection mix amounts?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • @cortguitarman, you know, you are right. I seldom use pre-pack rubs so I just tend to tune them out when I see a rub discussion, too many out there - I get so confused. 
    I often use  McCormick's other spices and herbs, always liked the quality. Pulled the image from WallyWorld.com, so it is easily available, Have a 7#er in the freezer, might just be the rub on my next PP. Thanks!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • @Skiddymarker... All the McCormick rubs are pretty good. That's all I used to use. I make my own now but if I were to buy some, that would be it.
  • @Hashmaker - Thanks, will look through the selection on next shopping extravaganza!

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited September 2012
    I have used this rub on quite a few butts and I agree it is darn good.  It forms a nice crusty bark and has a good mix of sweet and salty.  I started mixing up my own just to save a little $$, but nothing wrong with the McCormicks.  I have used their steak rub on nice rib roast and I felt no shame :).  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• @Henapple Here is the injection recipe.
    1c Apple juice, 1c pineapple juice (I couldn't find pineapple juice so I bought a large can of pineapple chunks. The juice in the can was exactly 1c), 1T hot sauce, 1T soy sauce, 1T worcestershire sauce, 1/2c brown sugar, and 1/2c salt. Heat on stove until all solids are dissolved. Inject, then rub generous amounts of rub all over the shoulder. Cook indirect at 250 until temp reaches 200. Pull and eat. I smoked it with cherry wood. This was my first smoke with cherry. I'll be using it again. Apple is also very good.

My buddy reached for the sauce right away. I told him to try it as is before saucing. He put the sauce down and said never mind, don't need it. After multiple helpings everyone claimed it was the best pork they've ever had. I'd consider it a success!
    Mark Annville, PA
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    I like McCormicks "Cowboy" rub.  It's awesome on dry rub ribs that you want to have a little kick. And the flakes are huge so the crust is really nice.  I'll have to give some others a try, I always keep a bottle of the Cowboy.