Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Places to eat in NOLA!

2»

Comments

• That sounds FANTASTIC!  I may have to try it before I leave.  We're here for our anniversary.  I think the wife would love it.  How much lead time do you need for a reservation.  You mentioned you had reservations for a couple of weeks.
    Brighton, IL (North East of St. Louis, MO)
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

That sounds FANTASTIC!  I may have to try it before I leave.  We're here for our anniversary.  I think the wife would love it.  How much lead time do you need for a reservation.  You mentioned you had reservations for a couple of weeks.
    It surpassed my expectations!

It's mostly tough to get reservations there on weekends at prime time.  Looks like they have a number of openings tonight:

http://www.opentable.com/opentables.aspx?t=Single&rid=89587&m=14&p=2&d=9/24/2012 7:00:00 PM
  • nolaegghead
    Hope you enjoy it - post a review or summary here if you get a chance.  I wanted to take pictures of the dishes but thought that might be a little uncouth and boorish at a five star establishment.
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    I'm far from local and Nola will help, K-Pauls, Brennans for brunch, Pascals Manale fo barbeque shrimp. Po boys, etouffes, red beans and rice everywhere. Cafe du Monde for coffee and beignets

Pascals where the locals go, love it.

Eggo in N. MS
  • I was lucky enough to date a girl that went to school there....Fell in love with the city, the girl, she fell in love with the local scene, her loss was my gain, in pounds! Dragos for oysters. Mothers for po boys and bloody marys. Cochon if you're feeling fancy. Any of emerils restaurants, especially NOLA, sit at the food bar and heckle the head chef, he's a great guy. Uptown, Jacques Imo's for soul food, bulldog for beers. And port of call for baked potatoes and burgers.
  • nolaegghead
    xraypat23 said:
    I was lucky enough to date a girl that went to school there....Fell in love with the city, the girl, she fell in love with the local scene, her loss was my gain, in pounds! Dragos for oysters. Mothers for po boys and bloody marys. Cochon if you're feeling fancy. Any of emerils restaurants, especially NOLA, sit at the food bar and heckle the head chef, he's a great guy. Uptown, Jacques Imo's for soul food, bulldog for beers. And port of call for baked potatoes and burgers.
    +1 billion on all those, although I've actually never been to Jacques Imo's...every time we've gone, there's a huge wait.  It's on my list. 

Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • nolaegghead

Weird coincidence Nola. I had to fly to Norfolk, VA and picked up the Garden & Gun magazine and there was a little write-up about R'evolution. I need to make an excuse to come back to NOLA...

I'm tellin' ya, there will be master chefs from all over the world flying into NOLA just to go eat there.  John Folse is one of the true masters.  His books on cajun/creole cooking will be the equivalent of the Joy of Cooking in the future.  Stike would appreciate his technical skills in charcuterie - you don't see many restaurants curing their own meats and making their own cheeses.  And writing the encyclopedia of an entire culture of food....check out his books.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Encyclopedia-Cajun-Creole-Cuisine/dp/0970445717/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348538904&sr=8-1&keywords=john+folse

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Folse
    Alright, I laid it on pretty thick with the John Folse praise and I apologize for that. Don't even know they guy personally.  He's not Jesus or Lassie or anything mythical, but all the hoopla results in a pretty nice place to eat.  I recommend it if you're in NOLA and want options for fine dining. 
  • Awesome thread.  I am a tourist, go about once a year on average, and love central grocery and ACME and have been hitting those for years.  I will be there next month (for fun) and will try some of the great recommendations in this thread.  Thank you.

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • You will not have a hard time finding great places to eat in New Orleans. I have been there many times and eating is at the top of my list of things to do. Even some of the holes-in-the-wall are excellent.

K. Paul's Kitchen and NOLA are two of my favorites. But my top choice by far is Commander's Palace. Go to the original location in the Garden District. Take money.

Tim
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    I have visited NOLA many time and have eaten at many of the above recommendations.  My rule of thumb was:  If a restaurant had been there 10 years it was good.  

The competition is just so intense, you have to be good to last that long. best food city in the world
  • I live in LaPlace (Yes... the one that just got flooded out) and I had made a similar list for a SWCC reunion last year. Check out the screen cast in the link below. Hope this helps.

http://screencast.com/t/deJ3HgA4oUqZ

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited September 2012

This is a 20 min taxi ride but well worth it.

Jacques-Imo's Cafe

Cafe du Monde for coffee

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I may be late to this but two places....

1. Mr B's Bistro in the Quarters...my wife and I ate there for our 25th anniv in April.  The BBQ shrimp or Shrimp and Grits....both are awesome.

2. Adolfo's at 611 Frenchman Street in The Marigny....a hole in the wall that served us our best meal....get there early or the wait is insane.  Grilled pork chops in red wine sauce or the grilled fish with the ocean sauce...either is awesome!

Have fun

• One other thing...today is Thursday and Thursday is Zydeco night at RocknBoll on S Carrollton Ave.  This is a great place to go see some great live music in a unique atmosphere.  Google Rock n Bowl and check it out.  By the way you will see a diverse crowd from college kids to retirees and some tourists.  Really a fun thing to do.  It is a reasonable taxi ride from the Quarters.
  • nolaegghead
    edited September 2012

Agreed.  I don't think I'll be taking pictures, but I'll post a few comments.  Again, thanks for the info.
    @optiontrader - did you ever make it out to R'evolution?

• Sorry for the delay, but late nights and early mornings are not conducive to writing. This is the first time I've been on the forum since Monday.  First, let me, first, say Thank You for the recommendation.  R'evolution was everything and more than I expected.  I'm not as eloquent as you in describing the meal and experience that you are.  So let me say, simply, that it was fantastic!  The wife and I each had the Seafood Gumbo, followed by the Beer Battered Crab Beignets.  For the main course, she had the Shrimp and Grits and I had the Crawfish Stuffed Flounder.  In my opinion, fish and seafood is part of what New Orleans is all about, but I must say that some of the meat dishes I say looked delicious. 

We've also tried K-Paul's and a place recommended by one of the hotel staff called The Praline Connection, and assorted holes in the wall that we stumbled on by accident.

We're running out of time and there are many suggestions left to try.  I think I've gained 20 lbs.
  • nolaegghead
    Sorry for the delay, but late nights and early mornings are not conducive to writing. This is the first time I've been on the forum since Monday.  First, let me, first, say Thank You for the recommendation.  R'evolution was everything and more than I expected.  I'm not as eloquent as you in describing the meal and experience that you are.  So let me say, simply, that it was fantastic!  The wife and I each had the Seafood Gumbo, followed by the Beer Battered Crab Beignets.  For the main course, she had the Shrimp and Grits and I had the Crawfish Stuffed Flounder.  In my opinion, fish and seafood is part of what New Orleans is all about, but I must say that some of the meat dishes I say looked delicious. 

We've also tried K-Paul's and a place recommended by one of the hotel staff called The Praline Connection, and assorted holes in the wall that we stumbled on by accident.

We're running out of time and there are many suggestions left to try.  I think I've gained 20 lbs.
    Outside the weight gain, sounds like you're having a great time.  Glad you enjoyed it!
  • So many great places from small hole in the wall to fancy dining A few years ago we ate at the Chef's Table in the kitchen at Commander's Place.....if you ever have this opportunity, grab it......only four people eat here each night and you get to taste everything.....reservations are about a year out and as stated above, take money
  • nolaegghead
    So many great places from small hole in the wall to fancy dining A few years ago we ate at the Chef's Table in the kitchen at Commander's Place.....if you ever have this opportunity, grab it......only four people eat here each night and you get to taste everything.....reservations are about a year out and as stated above, take money
    I love Commanders!  That's a treat.  I've only eaten at one Chef's table, and it was a treat - really it was friends and family of the Chef's table - everything off-the-menu. 

• So many great places from small hole in the wall to fancy dining A few years ago we ate at the Chef's Table in the kitchen at Commander's Place.....if you ever have this opportunity, grab it......only four people eat here each night and you get to taste everything.....reservations are about a year out and as stated above, take money
    I love Commanders!  That's a treat.  I've only eaten at one Chef's table, and it was a treat - really it was friends and family of the Chef's table - everything off-the-menu. 
    This sounds great.  Not likely that I'd be able to experience it on this trip, but something I'll plan for in future visits to NOLA.
  • I'm back at home.  The sights, sounds, and FOOD of New Orleans are behind me.  I want to reach out and thank all who made recommendations, some of which will have to wait until my next visit.  Special thanks to Nolaegghead for the R'evolution suggestion.  It was to die for.

Thanks again to everybody! :)
  • Yo momas on st Peter .... He'll of a burger with a loaded baked potato