Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vitamix v blendtec

2»

Comments

• I've had the vitamix for aboutn6 years and love it.....makes great smoothies and juices and grinds peanuts into peanut butter with no issues. Don't know anything about blendtec. Read somewhere it is made in china.....lout don't know if it was a reliable source. Vitamix is made right outside of cleveland.
  • There are reviews everywhere but this one pretty much sums up the way I see it. They are both great. It's a matter of personal preference and I think you are going to have a great blender either way.

Both are "designed and assembled in the USA" but Blendtec does not disclose what % of parts are domestic. Vitamix says "at least 70% domestic parts" if that means something to you.

This person is an affiliate website for Vitamix so she gets a cut of whatever she sells through the link she describes below. I still believe she is accurate in her description of the 2.

So, Which Is The Best Blender?

Well, this is a subject of debate online. You might as well ask if a Mac is better than a PC or a Nikon camera better than a Canon camera. Basically, those who have a Blendtec love their blender, and those who have a Vitamix swear by it as well.

As far as the end product being the smoothies and foods you blend using these blenders, the results are identical in quality. I recommend that you look at the subtle differences between the two and see which one feels the best to you.

Personally, I have both blenders. I’ve used my Blendtec Total Blender for the past three years and I love its ease of use.

But, I also love my Vitamix 5200 and I’ve started using it more and more because it is quieter, takes less time to blend, and provides so much more control.

Whether you choose the Vitamix or the Blendtec, I don’t think you will be disappointed at all. But if you want me to nudge you in one direction or the other, at this point, I’d steer you toward a Vitamix for many of the reasons I’ve already mentioned. And if you order by clicking on the image below, you’ll get free shipping within the United States!

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • brycos
    brycos Posts: 137
    I got the VM 5200 last year and love it.  Came down to the variable speed control for me - having said that - 99% of the time it's full speed for smoothies.
  • brycos said:

I got the VM 5200 last year and love it.  Came down to the variable speed control for me - having said that - 99% of the time it's full speed for smoothies.

Totally get that. I use the smoothie button on the BT and it rolls up and down through various speeds for 30 seconds then goes nuclear to finish it off. I have never needed the variable speed but I can see how some would like having it.
  • JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    edited September 2012
    I was about to buy one of the two and wife convinced me spending ~$400 for a blender was ridiculous. I went with the Kitchen Aid 560 for $99 and it is great. Can't imagine needing anything more powerful either. Though I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for so we'll see how long it lasts.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • I was about to buy one of the two and wife convinced me spending ~$400 for a blender was ridiculous. I went with the Kitchen Aid 560 for $99 and it is great. Can't imagine needing anything more powerful either. Though I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for so we'll see how long it lasts.
    That one is high on most lists as well. I bet I could have bought that and done just fine. 
  • Just and FYI, Blendtec was used by Starbucks for many years in all of their stores until recently when Vitamix built a blender specifically for their needs. 

I think either blender would serve your needs well.  I would say buy whatever has the better deal.
    Brighton, IL (North East of St. Louis, MO)
  • After seeing this, I would go with the blendtec.

Yeah, those are funny. The also crush up an iPad and all other kinds of stuff too. 
  • I never tried to blend skis, but I did accidentally blend a wooden spoon I was using to push down some fruit.  It never missed a beat.  I just had wood in my smoothie.  (Not good eats! :)
    Brighton, IL (North East of St. Louis, MO)