Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Crazy stall

SouthGaSmoker
SouthGaSmoker Posts: 98
edited September 2012 in Beef
Doing my first brisket flat today....@ 1:30 internal temp was 161F, @ 3:00  171F, @ 4:00 dropped to 162F, @4:30 167F, @ 5:00 162F and now (5:20) it's 165F.  The BGE temp has been a rock steady 250F due to the PartyQ.  Has anyone else seen the temp swing up and down during the stall?
St. Mary's, GA

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314

Believe your indications (unless you question their calibration ...) and yes those temperature swings, while pushing the outside of what I have experienced are not unusual.  What follows is a link that explains what is going on during the stall-a good but lengthy read-

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/craig-goldwyn/physicist-cracks-bbq-mystery_b_987719.html?icid=maing-grid10 enjoy.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • I've got a recipe for Beef Brisket that I've always done in the oven at 250. Can't wait to try it on my BGE. This recipe has the Brisket wrapped in foil the whole time though... I've no idea how to cook it any other way.
  • I've got a recipe for Beef Brisket that I've always done in the oven at 250. Can't wait to try it on my BGE. This recipe has the Brisket wrapped in foil the whole time though... I've no idea how to cook it any other way.
    </ No need to do it on the egg if you wrap it in foil the whole time. Let us know when you are ready, some great brisket guys on here that can walk you through. TJV (tom from Ceramic Grill Store) posted a great brisket write up a few days ago on one of the brisket threads. check it out and give it a try. Real brisket is not cooked in foil! :)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX