Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

If you've never made pizza, and intend to soon.

BigGreenBamaGriller
BigGreenBamaGriller Posts: 629
edited September 2012 in Cookbook
Learn from my mistake and place your pizza stone on a platesetter or similar device. I could fire up a steam engine with the bottom of the crust on tonight's dinner...
Killen, AL (The Shoals)
XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs

Comments

• Best way is to put some spacers between the platesetter and stone. The radiant heat from the lump will kill you otherwise

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Best way is to put some spacers between the platesetter and stone. The radiant heat from the lump will kill you otherwise

You apparently don’t have the slightest idea what you’re talking about.  Plenty of folks don’t use spacers and some don’t use a plate setter at all.  For those that don’t, it’s all about distance from the lump.  You see, the further you get your stone from the lump the cooler it is thereby reducing your chances of burning the bottom of you pizza.  Without the unnecessary mass of a plate setter, the stone gets up to temp much much faster, and because it’s closer to the dome it gets better radiant heat to cook the toppings uniformly. 

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /> 

A little analysis coupled with a modicum of knowledge might serve you well going forward if you’re going to choose to give advice. 

• This is funny.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • travisstrick said:
    This is funny.
    Got my popcorn, waiting to see where the latest "nice guy" goes with this.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• OH Brother..

• travisstrick said:

This is funny.

Got my popcorn, waiting to see where the latest "nice guy" goes with this.

Yep, me too. It's like watching a figure skater drop the chick face first on the ice.
  • Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    I imagine little steven has more class than to get into it with someone whose 2nd post on the forum is that inflammatory. Little Steven has always given great advice but he does have a wicked sense of humor so I may be wrong.
  • McNuttly said:
    Best way is to put some spacers between the platesetter and stone. The radiant heat from the lump will kill you otherwise

You apparently don’t have the slightest idea what you’re talking about.  Plenty of folks don’t use spacers and some don’t use a plate setter at all.  For those that don’t, it’s all about distance from the lump.  You see, the further you get your stone from the lump the cooler it is thereby reducing your chances of burning the bottom of you pizza.  Without the unnecessary mass of a plate setter, the stone gets up to temp much much faster, and because it’s closer to the dome it gets better radiant heat to cook the toppings uniformly. 

A little analysis coupled with a modicum of knowledge might serve you well going forward if you’re going to choose to give advice. 

You guys are all idiots. I AM THE BBQ MASTER! Damn, this popcorn is good.

Is this guy for real?

Mark Annville, PA

• You guys are all idiots. I AM THE BBQ MASTER! Damn, this popcorn is good.

Is this guy for real?

Methinks he'll "Stike" around...  :-\"
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Methinks you are wrong.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Mike8it said:
    I imagine little steven has more class than to get into it with someone whose 2nd post on the forum is that inflammatory. Little Steven has always given great advice but he does have a wicked sense of humor so I may be wrong.
    Especially since he has a Napoleonic complex.Oh wait, doesn't he hate short jokes?
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Wow...this is great!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • I would have thought that a comment on the palatability of green fuzzy meat might have brought Stike back but never would have thought a pizza thread would have.

Welcome back Mr. Stike

Gerhard
  • Lions and tigers and bears, oh my.....sorry was just watching the wizard..
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • I'm glad to see your post.

Flint, Michigan
  • Ready, set,........geaux!

+1 on seeing Stike back.  knowledge is power.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

• stike?  I think not.  As a long time lurker I take particular offense to such a charge.  From my perspective stike is a bully, a know-it-all parading around as a high & mighty foodie (and everything else for that matter) all the while waiting to pounce on the innocent.  Though I don't know what he looks like, I have a mental image of a skinny, small little man-child hiding away in a basement with coke bottle glasses and a laptop rubbing his hands together like a mini **** Cheney's eviler twin belting out frequent heh heh heh's.  Think what you want, but me aint he.  
  • McNuttly said:
    Best way is to put some spacers between the platesetter and stone. The radiant heat from the lump will kill you otherwise

Welcome to the forum sir! Your wisdom is noted and filed.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    McNuttly said:
    stike?  I think not.  As a long time lurker I take particular offense to such a charge.  From my perspective stike is a bully, a know-it-all parading around as a high & mighty foodie (and everything else for that matter) all the while waiting to pounce on the innocent.  Though I don't know what he looks like, I have a mental image of a skinny, small little man-child hiding away in a basement with coke bottle glasses and a laptop rubbing his hands together like a mini **** Cheney's eviler twin belting out frequent heh heh heh's.  Think what you want, but me aint he.  

i enjoy a good troll now and then- but this is weak sauce.  come strong brother.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Oh wow!! This could get intersting. Guy comes out of nowhere and with three posts has already insulted Little Steven and stike? Can't wait to see where this goes. Got my popcorn ready, start the show!

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Griffin said:

Oh wow!! This could get intersting. Guy comes out of nowhere and with three posts has already insulted Little Steven and stike? Can't wait to see where this goes. Got my popcorn ready, start the show!

Griffin, I've insulted no one.  I merely pointed out that a piece of pizza making advice was patently poor or at least non-comprehensive thus unhelpful.  I didn't bring stike into this, only when accused by several of being him did I merely deny another piece of poor (read wrong) advice.  If I chose to editorialize a bit by rendering what I clearly stated was my opinion regarding stike, and if stike himself indicates he was offended, so be it.  Enjoy your popcorn

• Little Steven said: Welcome to the forum sir! Your wisdom is noted and filed.
    Round 1 Little Steven
    Popcorn is ready, butter is melted
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Got my popcorn ready too.  And welcome back Stike...
  • McNuttly said:
    Griffin said:

Griffin, I've insulted no one.  I merely pointed out that a piece of pizza making advice was patently poor or at least non-comprehensive thus unhelpful.  I didn't bring stike into this, only when accused by several of being him did I merely deny another piece of poor (read wrong) advice.  If I chose to editorialize a bit by rendering what I clearly stated was my opinion regarding stike, and if stike himself indicates he was offended, so be it.  Enjoy your popcorn

Actually @McNuttly, you have insulted someone. Reread your initial post. Now remove the first and last sentence. The result is a meaningful post which clearly states your opinion and provides some very good information that some members might actually find useful. That, IMHO, is what this forum is all about, the exchange of information and opinions.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • stike said:
    Methinks you are wrong.
    And for that, I apologize.  But it DID get you back to posting, and for that, I don't apologize!!  Welcome back!!
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • I feel like a 2 year old sitting on the potty with chocolate smeared all over my face, clapping and screaming more more more!!!
  • in retrospect perhaps I've gotten off on the wrong foot.  Maybe a little perspective is warranted re stike.  I've had run ins with him in the past and this may be carryover, I'll leave it at that.  How about this, I'll cook something on my LBGE this weekend an post the results, get back to what this is supposed to be all about. 
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    Thank you.   There is no longer a disturbance in the Force.
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • Why don't you just stay on track? If you are an actual egocentric ass then be that. Bad form to pretend you are something else and have your true colours show through later
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    How have you had run ins with stike in the past if this is your 5th post? Unless you were previously banned and are back under a new name?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings