Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

3 Butts on med. egg

Gandy Dancer
Gandy Dancer Posts: 273
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum

Can three 8# butts be cooked on a med. egg.

Comments

• I had two 8# ers on my medium before and it was a tight fit.  I would think that 3 would be pretty difficult unles you could somehow orient them more vertical.  Even the two touched the sides a bit.
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • if you figure out multiple levels.. maybe.

I cooked two 8 pounders once. I had to twine them up pretty good to squeeze them in. 

If I had to, I could do that again.

The issue is that you want some air flow between the meat and the egg.

With three, my guess is that you have to have two of them at least halfway down below the felt line and have another rack above that. Would be tough though man.
  • Hoppy & Hoppette
    Hoppy & Hoppette Posts: 38
    edited September 2012

I would think not...... unless you can use a two-tier grate and still have enough room to close the top lid.

I have done two 11 lb. butts on my large egg with very little room between the two to allow the smoke to circulate between them.

• another thing to think about...the bark on those two butts without much air flow was not very good.

The best bark I have gotten is on single 5-8 pound butts with plenty of room between the egg and the meat.

Not sure if there is another random reason the bark on the two 8 lbers was sub-par?
  • That is what I thought. So I will have to take my sm. egg and with my son med. egg, we can do three 8# butts that way.
  • another thing to think about...the bark on those two butts without much air flow was not very good.

The best bark I have gotten is on single 5-8 pound butts with plenty of room between the egg and the meat.

Not sure if there is another random reason the bark on the two 8 lbers was sub-par?
    This is why only one 6 to 10 pounder can be done a MBGE. Now, if bark is not important, then two maybe possible, but for me, one at a time is good fishing. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • No, not possible. I got 2 on mine, total 17.6 lb. It was jammed full. Which is a reason why my 2nd egg (LGBE) is getting delivered tomorrow.