Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

For nesters, where do you put your hot grids?

Philicious
Philicious Posts: 346
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have a large in a nest. I roll my egg from under a lean-to to a space on my patio. The question I have for those of you using a nest is, where do you put your hot grids or bricks or whatever when you add wood, change your set up, etc?
Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.

Comments

• bertscampers
    bertscampers Posts: 136
    edited September 2012
    My patio is cement so I just set it down.  The grids I put on a hook on the table mates.   You could use a patio stone for bricks or plate setter.
  • Hi Philicious. I use two different things, one is a metal mesh table, see my avatar. Or I have two S hooks hangin of one the the shelves on my large egg. Either or works for me.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • I open up my unused Traeger, and put them in there.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    If I have to remove a hot plate setter to convert to direct, it goes in the old gasser. For temporary removal to add wood or short term, I have a galvanized pail I use for ash removal. Just set hot things on there for a couple minutes.
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    I have concrete pavers that come in squares from HD on my deck on the floor. I carefully set it on these so as to not burn wood, also oil and grease stains. Plus nothing gets knocked over to fall.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Lay it up on the nest feet touching the patio. Works for me.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Inside my old Weber kettle.  Keeps the cats from messing with them.
  • Neighbour has a wooden deck under his "dark side kamado" sitting on a nest equivalent with side shelves. He has a large 24" floor tile left over from a home reno, he just sets the tile on one of the shelves (temporary to adjust a set up or add wood) or deck and sets the hot stuff on it until it either goes back in the grill or cools for storage.  
    I use my gasser (if it is not being used) or the tile counter around my MBGE. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    If you have the room and ability to keep it dry, might check into a cheapo mechanics tool cart.  You can always find them on sale at sears, harbor freight and the like for around $100.  Drawers are handy for storing stuff.  You could build a cheap wood top for it.

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Bought an old 15lb olive drab folding military table and painted it with some leftover high temp grill paint.  Table was around $15.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."