Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermometer

Options
vin006
vin006 Posts: 2
edited September 2012 in EGG Table Forum
My Big Green Egg thermometer was removed and I am trying to put it back properly (it was professionally installed) and wonder if someone might be able to tell me how to attach it again so it registers the temperature properly.

Vin006

Comments

• NoDak1959
    Options
    Do you have your stainless retaining clip ?  If you do, just stick the thermometer into the hole with the egg lid open while aligning the holes of the retaining clip with the stem and push it through(there is some resistance) but just continue until it's seated.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    While it's out, you may want to calibrate it.  Boil a pot of water and stick the end of the probe in.  If it doesn't register 212F, use a pair of pliers to hold the bolt on the back and turn the dial until it is right.  I no longer use the clip that holds it in the Egg.  Just stick the probe in the hole.  Makes it easier to take it out to calibrate it. 
    Options
    Tjcoley said:
    While it's out, you may want to calibrate it.  Boil a pot of water and stick the end of the probe in.  If it doesn't register 212F, use a pair of pliers to hold the bolt on the back and turn the dial until it is right.  I no longer use the clip that holds it in the Egg.  Just stick the probe in the hole.  Makes it easier to take it out to calibrate it. 
    +1 - and, when it is loose and you use a raised set-up you can tell if the thermometer probe has touched the food, much harder to tell when the spring clip is on. Dome temp is useless if the probe touches food. The benefit of the clip is to stop the thermometer from being pushed out and falling (breaking) on the floor. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • vin006
    Options
    Thanks to all of you. Never thought of calibration.

Vince