Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is on the menu this weekend?

chrisnjenn
chrisnjenn Posts: 534
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum

Our team decided to take a break this weekend from competitions and spend much needed time at home for a weekend for a change.  Of course, I will be practicing at least one category this weekend for next weeks comp. (pork ribs).  We usually are in the top 20% at every comp on ribs (walked a number of times), but last weekend didn't do nearly as well as we usually do (low on presentation points-had 8's and 9's on taste).  I will make most of the items below on my Eggs, but might fire up my Smokey Joe (love the little guy) for the abt's.  He needs some love.

Menu:

Friday

Steak and chicken fajitas (marinating with some love in the fridge overnight) grilling on the Egg with my GrillGrates (love them).  Making some homemade refried beans, Mexican rice, homemade flour tortillas, bell peppers (red, orange, green), onions, fresh guacamole and other condiments.

Saturday

Spare ribs and Teriyaki chicken (what a combo! ha), abt's, tator tots, some veggies, and homemade banana pudding.

Sunday

Dino bones, mashed potatoes, homemade mac n cheese.

What are you grilling and/or smoking this weekend?

Comments

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Tonight:  Fiery shrimp diablo for appetizers, filets for the ladies (marinating since yesterday), ribeyes with a wine mushroom sauce for the guys,, potatoes (sweet and regular), asparagus (peeled, blanched, and then marinated in EVOO, lemon juice, garlic, and rosemary).

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Got a block party on Saturday thqat I have to bring appetizers to so, Giving it a go at Moink balls, and Cen-tex's crostini with mozzarella, Prosciutto, & balsamic reduction.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I think we are doing pork chops with a home-made whiskey bbq sauce tonight, a mix of piri-piri chicken wings and buffalo wings tomorrow and the wife was going to find some kind of crockpot recipe for Sunday. Keeping it simple and easy as its my turn to take the weekend shift at work. :(

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Smoking a turkey breast this weekend. Other than that, I don,t know.
  • I am expecting a round cast iron griddle in today's mail.  My plan is to cook some french toast and sausage for breakfast in the morning. 

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• I am expecting a round cast iron griddle in today's mail.  My plan is to cook some french toast and sausage for breakfast in the morning. 

I love my Kettle Q for making breakfast on my Eggs.  I will be using it tonight for fajitas.

• DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    Blue cheese injected beef tenderloin on Saturday.  May do ABTs (first time) Sunday for the game.
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    Chicken, shrimp, scallops, and cod.. Not necessarily in that order :)
  • Just finished up my new table, so I will be installing the egg in it and taking it out for her maiden voyage of hot wings tonight.

Tomorrow would be tequila marinated chicken for soft tacos and then probably some abts or pig shots to take to the old man's birthday on Sunday.

And copious amounts of beers and football.

Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • tazcrash said:

Got a block party on Saturday thqat I have to bring appetizers to so, Giving it a go at Moink balls, and Cen-tex's crostini with mozzarella, Prosciutto, & balsamic reduction.

Don't forget the fresh basil, salt and pepper to finish. Makes all the difference

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • grilling some shrimp right now, bacon and eggs for breakfast, fajitas for tomorrows supper. Pork butt the next day, should be fun. ;)
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Boudin stuffed Cornish hens, cornbread stuffed deboned chicken and dove balls.

I love my Kettle Q for making breakfast on my Eggs.  I will be using it tonight for fajitas.

I've admired those at the store, but I can't pull the trigger on it for $120!
    Flint, Michigan
  • brisket just went on........
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Tonight we didn't fire up the egg.  Had to replace a wiper fluid pump on the X3, then put a hard start capacitor on the AC (running on the generator for a week revealed the AC is really starting slow). 

SWMBO cooked up a super delicious chicken breast, pounded flat, wrapped with fresh spinach, garlic, onion, cheese with an Alfredo sauce and spinach linguini.

Dunno what we'll do tomorrow....

Chunz82 said:
    Boudin stuffed Cornish hens, cornbread stuffed deboned chicken and dove balls.
    Interested in the Cornish hens. Can you give us more details on the stuffing, temp and time? I just happened to pick up some at the store last night, but its been years since I cooked one and your stufffing sounds great. Thanks in advance.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

$84.24 on amizon right now.  Does it fit the Large?
    My actuary says I'm dead.

$84.24 on amizon right now.  Does it fit the Large?

Perfectly. Made for it.
  • It will arrive Tuesday thanks to Prime.
  • You will enjoy it.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    edited September 2012
    Yesterday I made a big pot of gazpacho (almost live on the stuff this time of year) but I was curious to try a "crabless crabcake", made with zucchini and Old Bay, that someone had posted on another thread, so whipped up a batch to grill a couple to go with the gazpacho.
    Hmm.  The recipe turned out really wet, couldn't form them into patties.  I poured two patties onto Saran Wrap and set them in the freezer, thinking after they firmed up a bit I could just plop them on the grill and pull off the wrap.
    Well, as I looked at it, I could just see the Saran Wrap touching the grill and sticking/burning, so I tried lifting the patties with my fingers to throw them on, it was like picking up pancake batter!  

They stuck and burned a bit, but were still pretty tasty.  I'll be making them again but only using half as many eggs.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• nolaegghead
    Botch said:
    Yesterday I made a big pot of gazpacho (almost live on the stuff this time of year) but I was curious to try a "crabless crabcake", made with zucchini and Old Bay, that someone had posted on another thread, so whipped up a batch to grill a couple to go with the gazpacho.
    Hmm.  The recipe turned out really wet, couldn't form them into patties.  I poured two patties onto Saran Wrap and set them in the freezer, thinking after they firmed up a bit I could just plop them on the grill and pull off the wrap.
    Well, as I looked at it, I could just see the Saran Wrap touching the grill and sticking/burning, so I tried lifting the patties with my fingers to throw them on, it was like picking up pancake batter!  

They stuck and burned a bit, but were still pretty tasty.  I'll be making them again but only using half as many eggs.  
    I'm gonna try those.  You can reduce the moisture by adding more breadcrumbs.  Yeah, and you right, less egg.
    Just cooked some beer brats.  Grabbed some homemade cheddar brats from my local butcher.  Threw them in a bath of Great Lakes Brewing Burning River.

Don't know why I eat brats any other way!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• nolaegghead
    Throwing on this chuck roast for pulled beef as soon as the egg stabilizes.  About 2.7 pounds.

• Pizza last night.  Deep dish and Round Detroit Style.  Two of my Brothers owned a Pizza shop called Como's Pizza.  From 1968 until 2003 they made one of the best pizzas in the Metro Detroit area.  They were also famous for their BBQ ribs and Broasted chicken.  Anyway my square pizza is inspired by Billy and Jimmy from the old days on Warren Avenue.  I made two 14" round and two large deep dish pies.  

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • Pork chops and deep fried summer squash in the dutch oven.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Leftovers.  Lots of leftovers for the wok. Leftover skirt steak. Leftover Sarah/rosemary mushrooms. Farmers’ market this morning provided fresh heirloom tomatoes and scallions. Add some home grown basil and a few other things. Fried rice may be the most humble dish on the planet and among the most challenging. Every one is different, like a piece of art. +1 for the Joyce Chin bamboo wok tools from Amazon. I had been using steel and they worked fine but scratched the seasoning. Bamboo doesn’t scratch and allows scraping those wonderful little burned bits up. Every wok cook from now on will just improve the finish. My other fried rice attempts have ranged from good to total failure. This time I nailed it. It’s the first rice dish I’ve shared with my Filipino neighbors. They know their way around a bowl of rice and they LOVED it. Another entree on the “company menu”.\ Happy grillin’ bob
  • Farewell paella for my son heading off to college tomorrow.