Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

To much time on my hands. DMFT restore.

Options
Hungry Joe
Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum

Last winter I left my DFMT inside my egg but never closed the bottom vent or put the ceramic top on for some reason. Alcohol may have been involved. Anyway my egg was nice and clean but it also burnt everything off my DFMT which rusted up in not time. A couple of days ago I decided to restore it using electrolytic rust removal.

http://www.wwgoa.com/articles/one-great-tip/removing-rust-with-electrolysis/

Now this is way over kill for this application, the first time I tried this I was restoring an old hand plane and this method causes no damage to the good metal, it only removes the rust without damage to whatever you are restoring. Instead of baking soda I used this, pure sodium carbonate.

Here the rest of the process.

imageimage

Stealth applewood score.

imageimageimage

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Very cool!  It's like I'm watching Walter White maintain his egg!    =D>

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Cool!  Better living through chemistry!  I'll have to try that on some of my tools.
    I couldn't get one of the screws out of mine this spring when I decided to clean it up so I just sprayed it with PAM and put it in my hot Egg.  Came out fine and dandy.
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Options

smarter than your average bear...eh boo-boo.  Learning goes a long ways....nice work

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    pretty cool - but how does this process compare to say, using Naval Jelly or some other rust remover? 

FWIW, when I did my high-temp burnout, I too noticed that my now "clean" DFMT was rusty - I just took a wire brush & brushed off as much of the rust as I could, and sprayed PAM on it like probe1957 did.
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    pretty cool - but how does this process compare to say, using Naval Jelly or some other rust remover? 

FWIW, when I did my high-temp burnout, I too noticed that my now "clean" DFMT was rusty - I just took a wire brush & brushed off as much of the rust as I could, and sprayed PAM on it like probe1957 did.
    Navel jelly is an acid - I think phosphoric - not toxic, it's in your coca colas.  That works too.  Mechanical removal takes some elbow grease but is how I usually remove rust.  This method is cool because it only removes the rust, and no unoxidized iron.
    edited September 2012
    Options

Navel jelly is an acid - I think phosphoric - not toxic, it's in your coca colas.  That works too.  Mechanical removal takes some elbow grease but is how I usually remove rust.  This method is cool because it only removes the rust, and no unoxidized iron.
    Nola, thanks for the comparisons.  BTW, I remember an "old school" method that my grandad used to do on the farm in WV... he'd cut up potatoes & put them in a bucket of water, then submerge whatever rusted piece into the bucket (and, if I remember correctly, put a lid on the bucket - can't really remember, this was 25+ years ago).  Then come back in a week or 2, pull out the parts, dry them off, and they'd be good as new...

Or at least that's what I think I recall.  I've never tried the method, and my memory of the process & the setup might be fuzzy from it being so long ago as I was just a kid at the time - but I know that the old timers had all kinds of nifty ways of doing things, and that was just one of them.  Oh what great men they were - that's why they were the "Greatest Generation" :)
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Hillbilly, good memory.  It seems potatoes are natural chelating agents.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYgnHDB3VNI

Options
    I wonder if it's a smiilar property that lends itself to the potato clock.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited September 2012
    Options
    hahahahaa... I bought an old used Shopsmith off of Craigslist awhile back & that's what I used to make my table!!  Those things are built like tanks!!  ^:)^

That's how I knew about the Naval Jelly cuz the Shopsmith had some rust on it & I went to the hardware store & looked around & bought some of it to get rid of the rust.  Heck, I shoulda just called up Shopsmith & they prolly woulda reminded me 'bout ye olde potato method!!  :D

BTW, I had to look up the word "chelating" and I STILL dunno what it means - let's just say that it works to remove rust!! heh ;)
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    If you look at a jar of mayonnaise, it probably has EDTA ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethylenediaminetetraacetic_acid ).  A good example of what it does is it binds with metal ions and hangs on to them without binding to the metal.  In mayonnaise, it grabs on to the iron and other metals that give the mayo a tinny, metallic, off-taste.  They're still there, you just can't taste them.  They're also used to mitigate the effects of heavy metal poisoning.  Lots of uses...sorry, the chemist in me can't help it.  So the potatoes probably have some form of a chelating agent that helps bind the ionic iron - the non-ionic, what you want to keep, doesn't bind.
    :D
    Options
    The battery effect is a type of electrolysis.  Similar to electroplating, except in reverse - moving the iron oxide, battery-like, off the metallic iron using an electrolyte, anode and cathode.

I can't help it!!!
    probe1957 said:
    I couldn't get one of the screws out of mine this spring when I decided to clean it up so I just sprayed it with PAM and put it in my hot Egg.  Came out fine and dandy.
    That's what I do.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Stoater
    Stoater Posts: 292
    Options
    Anyone tried coca cola.
  • BizGreenEgg
    Options
    If you look at a jar of mayonnaise, it probably has EDTA ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethylenediaminetetraacetic_acid ).  A good example of what it does is it binds with metal ions and hangs on to them without binding to the metal.  In mayonnaise, it grabs on to the iron and other metals that give the mayo a tinny, metallic, off-taste.  They're still there, you just can't taste them.  They're also used to mitigate the effects of heavy metal poisoning.  Lots of uses...sorry, the chemist in me can't help it.  So the potatoes probably have some form of a chelating agent that helps bind the ionic iron - the non-ionic, what you want to keep, doesn't bind.
    Also important to note that the binding of these ionic elements helps slow natural oxidation reactions in a processed foods (oxidation of the fat in mayo in this case).  Free ions/UV light/heat/etc. are catalysts for oxidation/reduction reactions.  Science!
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Also important to note that the binding of these ionic elements helps slow natural oxidation reactions in a processed foods (oxidation of the fat in mayo in this case).  Free ions/UV light/heat/etc. are catalysts for oxidation/reduction reactions.  Science!
    Good point, perhaps more relevant than mine!
    Funny...just removed the screws from mine and soaked them in evaporust overnight. All rust was gone. Spread canola over everything and wiped off the excess and put everything back together.

looks awesome.

I have 10 gallons of evaporust in the garage for de-rusting parts from my 62 caddy. :)
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Stoater said:
    Anyone tried coca cola.
    I haven't used it for any Eggin', but the golfer in me strenuously recommends getting yourself some pre-rules change Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can wedges and soaking them in Coke for an hour...  Best club in the game, hands down...

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    Also a chemist...IIRC (college chemistry was long ago), EDTA's purpose as a preservative is to bind heavy metal ions needed by bacteria.  If the EDTA is holding onto all the metals, the bacteria starve or at least multiply much more slowly.
  • Ranger908
    Options
    Ya'll convinced me I ain't ea-tin no more potato's
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    I'm not a chemist. I'm an elementary school.teacher. I'm going to make stuff up. The starch from the potato facilitates proper flogination of the rustification to be removed from the DFMT! This would be cool to show students though.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    edited September 2012
    Options
    This whole thread has gone way over my head. :(|)
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    The kanooter valve connect to the ..... hip  bone!

The kanooter valve connect to the ..... hip  bone!

Isn't that what keeps the headlights fluid from leaking out of the car?
    Mark Annville, PA
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    the rustification 

=))

Well, there's your problem, You've got a blown johnson rod, and that caused your muffler bearings to seize up. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket!