Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

another question doe my first brisket

Options
IowaJim
IowaJim Posts: 17
edited September 2012 in Beef
My brisket is at 160 in 2-1/2 hours, didn't want to eat until after the Packer game. Do I wrap in aluminum and finish to 200 and then let sit in the foil?

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    What's your egg temp? how big is your brisket?
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • IowaJim
    Options
    The temp is running from 230-265 at the beginning now around 240. almost 5 #'s
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I assume you are using your dome thermo to measure. If that is the case, you are in the roughly 1.5-2hrs per lb teritorry. It will stall out for a few hours right around where you are or a little higher (in the 170ish range) whenre the internal temp will just hold there while the moisture leaves the meat and the connective tissue converts to collagen. Don't worry about that- it's critical to a goo dbrisket. You still have many hours before it's ready. If it's ready a little early, just wrap in it foil and put it in a cooler with towels (we call the FTC- Foil-Towel-Cooler around here). It will hold for many hours in there until you are ready.
  • IowaJim
    Options

Thanks, the recipe I'm using said to wrap in foil at 160-170 then put back on grill for 2 hours or until 190-200. The brisket is in a foil pan should I just leave it in the pan and then wrap later?

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    IowaJim said:

Thanks, the recipe I'm using said to wrap in foil at 160-170 then put back on grill for 2 hours or until 190-200. The brisket is in a foil pan should I just leave it in the pan and then wrap later?

I'm not a fan of that technique but follow your recipe. It will ruin your crust to wrap and even more so if you throw it in the juices in the pan. It will make for a moist tasty brisket though. I just like a lot of crust and wrapping is the enemy of crust. That technique is called the Texas crutch and it's common on the competition circuit because it speeds up the stall. You don't need to do it on your egg but i would stick with it if that's what you started with today.
  • IowaJim
    Options
    I did wrap and it ended up tasting really good, will try the other way next time. Appreciate your help.