Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Test Turkey

TonyA
TonyA Posts: 583
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
I think my wife is becoming an egghead.  She suggested we cook the Thanksgiving Turkey in it!  She wants a dry run or two of course... I'm really posting because I'm open to suggestions on temp, but I also have to address 'smoke'.  I think I smoked her out this summer.  I use Weekend Warrior Lump which will leave virtually no imparted flavor. I was thinking of putting a chunk or two of adler for a hint of that fire cooked flavor ... thoughts?

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Cherry goes well with turkey. Should be plenty of posts around here for time and temps, just do a search. People seem to like the Mad Max method, but I've never tried it.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Griffin said:
    Cherry goes well with turkey. Should be plenty of posts around here for time and temps, just do a search. People seem to like the Mad Max method, but I've never tried it.

+1 on cherry, I've not smoked a turkey since I got the Egg but have done several on my old offset and cherry was my favorite.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    I do them spatchcock style indirect (LBGE) at about 350*F on the dome-a 15# bird takes around 2.5 hrs (+/-) to 160+ in the breast.  I ice the breasts around 15-20 mins before starting the cook so the thghs can get to the 180's about the time the breasts are finished.  Hopefully Mickey will be along as he does turkeys all the time. BTW-15#'s spatchcock is about the largest that will fit on the LBGE without getting creative.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    I like pecan wood for turkey. Great flavor and rich dark color.
    GK59 Posts: 501

Go for the cherry.

I have used both Traverse City cherry wine or cherry balsamic as both a marinade and as an injection. Gotta' love Michigan. And cherry wood chips.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• I picked up the BGE Sittin Turkey Ceramic eggsesory.  Gonna try it out the next few weekends, wife makes me prepare several turkey's for the holiday. Last year I did one on the Weber, one in the Master Built Electric smoker and one in the oven (just for the smells). Didn't have the EGG last year, so I will have PLENTY of leftovers!!!  Spatchcocked sounds interesting too.

XL BGE Nested

Several Weber's

Chargriller TRIO

• lousubcap said:
    I do them spatchcock style indirect (LBGE) at about 350*F on the dome-a 15# bird takes around 2.5 hrs (+/-) to 160+ in the breast.  I ice the breasts around 15-20 mins before starting the cook so the thghs can get to the 180's about the time the breasts are finished.  Hopefully Mickey will be along as he does turkeys all the time. BTW-15#'s spatchcock is about the largest that will fit on the LBGE without getting creative.
    +1  Cherry or Pecan + Spatchcock = Best dang turkey I have made on my LBGE.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

I spatchcock and like 11lb or so birds best. Take just a little over an hour. Cook direct at 400 raised. I mix a small amout of cherry and pecan chips (not wet). I like a coffee rub but good with just s&p. If i think about it and have time i like to leave in fridge overnight uncovered to get a better skin

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Look on the net for a good Brine Recipe and do the Brine first. Rinse it before you put it on the Egg and put your favorite Poultry Rub on. Set it in a rack and put your meat thermometer in to the breast to keep track of its progress. Have the Egg stabilized at 350 degrees and it should take about 2-1/4 hours for a 14lb bird. If yours is larger in will obviously take longer. I did one this year and it was awesome to say the least. The Brine part is a must for this and Chicken. 
  • Eggdam
    Eggdam Posts: 223
    Mickey said:

I spatchcock and like 11lb or so birds best. Take just a little over an hour. Cook direct at 400 raised. I mix a small amout of cherry and pecan chips (not wet). I like a coffee rub but good with just s&p. If i think about it and have time i like to leave in fridge overnight uncovered to get a better skin

Mickey do you flip that during the cook?  Do you find you have to watch the bottom from getting to dark?  BTW the turkey looks wicked!