Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Texas BBQ rub

fairchase
fairchase Posts: 312
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum

I'm ready to order some more rubs.

The dizzy's i've used ( dizzy dust original , red eye express , swamp venom , cow lick , and raging river ) are all great. I really like the fact thay dizzy is using mainly spices , and not tons of salt, or sugar. These are both cheap and more can added if desired. Having high blood pressure and limiting my salt intake I now no longer like foods real salty.

However they get really expensive on large cuts like butts and briskets.

I've seen several positive comments on Texas BBQ rubs ; mainly the original and the #2. How much salt is in these rubs ? and how do they stand up to dizzy on butts and briskets ?

Comments

• I use their grand champion. Not too salty. It is my favorite on brisket.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Gary gave me a bag (Thanks Gary) and will try when I do Travis's brisket.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    John Henry Pecan rub for me. A gentle sweetness makes it a very versatile rub.  Have used it on brisket and chicken with excellent results.
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited September 2012
    De nada, Mickey.

Nobody gives the exact proportions for their product, but by law (I believe) they have to list the ingredients in order of the amount.  On my bag of Texas BBQ Rub (Texas Wild), it lists:

Sugar
    Cane syrup
    Salt
    Red pepper
    Black pepper
    Other spices
    Garlic
    Silicon dioxide (to prevent caking)

So, although it has salt, it's not the main ingredient.  I'm sure the other variations are the same.  I have found only slight nuances of difference between the formulas.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• nemo
    nemo Posts: 113
    Texas BBQ grand Champion is my go to rub. I've tried many different brands...they are all good, but Texas BBQ hits my taste buds just right. Oh, my better half also thinks it's the best....and that means I can cook and cook and cook and cook..... 
    Fairview, Texas
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Yep.  Thanks to Gary, i'm in the Grand Champion cult. :)  It's the only rub i've used on brisket and hopefully CT will join soon!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • My favorite is the Original blend (sweeter than the others).  I regularly use the Brisket #2  and the Grand Champion though.  All great and keep all 3 on hand at all times.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• cazzy said:
    Yep.  Thanks to Gary, i'm in the Grand Champion cult. :)  It's the only rub i've used on brisket and hopefully CT will join soon!

Thanks Cazzy! I can't wait to use it. I haven't fired up my egg in almost 6 weeks. Crazy. My 1st cook will be a brisket with the grand champion you sent me
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • fairchase
    fairchase Posts: 312
    edited September 2012
    How do you think the Grand champion compares to the #2 and the original ; taste wise ?  I thought I read that it was sweeter.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Grand Champion is what I use for both butts and brisket. I like it on ribs, but not as much as Dizzy Dust or 17th St. Bar and Grill, Magic Dust.