Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Advice for getting sauce on 8 racks of ribs in V-rack

Options
kmcadillac44
kmcadillac44 Posts: 47
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
I've got my staff coming over and plan to do 8 racks of ribs in my XL using 2 V-racks.  How do I slather the sauce on them an hour before i serve them without making a total mess and still get good coverage on the ribs?  Also the last time I tried this many racks they were on the undercooked side -  is it common to have to increase the cook time with so many ribs at once?  Thanks for the help!!

Comments

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options

On the doneness, yes with the egg that full it will take more time.

On saucing, I simply take the racks of ribs out of the V-rack and sauce them and then put them back.  Doesn't matter if I have 2 or ??.

Ribs can be held for several hours if you FTC (HD alum foil, towels, cooler), so don't try to time it to where you are taking them off and straight to the table.  Take them off an hour before serving time, FTC, and they will be as hot as they were when you put them in.

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    Duganboy said:

On the doneness, yes with the egg that full it will take more time.

On saucing, I simply take the racks of ribs out of the V-rack and sauce them and then put them back.  Doesn't matter if I have 2 or ??.

Ribs can be held for several hours if you FTC (HD alum foil, towels, cooler), so don't try to time it to where you are taking them off and straight to the table.  Take them off an hour before serving time, FTC, and they will be as hot as they were when you put them in.

+1, good suggestion. I take almost everything off to sauce (except maybe a split bird) it is much easier and less messy to slather on the sauce off the grid. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • travisstrick
    Options
    Take the whole rack out and place on something that can get dirty and dump it on there from the bottle.

Better yet, get a food service squirt bottle (like the catsup ones) with a twist top. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    You could put the sauce in a baggie with a cherry bomb taped to it and let the pyrotechnics sauce it for you!
    Flint, Michigan
  • kmcadillac44
    Options
    So far my experience has been the longer I cook them the better the ribs -  why do I need the foil and the cooler?  I am planning on the ribs being at 240 F for around 6 1/2 hours?  Sauce on 1 hour before serving and again 30 minutes before serving -  danger?
  • travisstrick
    Options
    So far my experience has been the longer I cook them the better the ribs -  why do I need the foil and the cooler?  I am planning on the ribs being at 240 F for around 6 1/2 hours?  Sauce on 1 hour before serving and again 30 minutes before serving -  danger?
    Perfect
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    I got tired of trying to time my ribs with arrival times of my guests. In the past either the guests were late or my ribs just didn't cooperate. So I started putting them on super early indirect at 250. Then after the meat had just started pulling back from the bone, most times almost five hours later, pulling them and wrapping them in foil. Then when guests arrived I put them back on and sauce them for about an hour, Since then I have to say the end product has been better then ever. Fall off the bone but the meat is still nice and firm. Doing them like this last weekend when I had six racks on my large I sauced them flat on the grate. The first round was four and then the second had two.