Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Big Green Egg Owners

JKlo10
JKlo10 Posts: 0
edited August 2012 in Cookbook
We are LOVING our new Big Green Egg and would love to get a list of FAVORITE recipes along with MUST DO's and DON'Ts regarding cooking on the Egg. Any suggestions?  We plan on going to the Eggtober Fest in Atlanta but till then?

Thanks!
Jenni and Rick Kloete

Comments

• Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited August 2012
    Hi, glad  you're liking the Egg. 

However, could you please be a bit more specific regarding your request?  I mean, the there is a whole subsection to the right side of the forum which lists several hundred recipes, all categorized by type of food (ie, beef, poultry, pork, baking, etc). 

Maybe if you threw out some things you'd like to do, and then we can assist w/ that. 

Also, the same w/ the "do's and dont's" request - what is it you're curious about, and we can assist. 

A quick rule-of-thumb for folks coming from gassers is to NOT cook w/ the lid up.  Also, temp control is probably one of the biggest learning curves.  Another is to learn to cook your food to internal temp, and not to time... 

So those are just a few quick tips... what else ya curious about?  We can help, if ya just ask!!
    :)
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited August 2012
    here is another tip: 
    When you ask for an accessory recommendation, expect it to be expensive. 

Seriously, check out http://www.nakedwhiz.com lots of great info there as well as here.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Welcome to the cult  >:)
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Focus on the result and not the process. The egg is very forgiving and hard to mess up.

Cook to temp (I think this is the best tip for all cooking)

Buy some bricks and an extra cheap grid from academy. Play with alternate cooking setups prior to buying expensive aftermarket stuff so you know what works for you.

Don't get excited about what kind of lump to buy. It all catches fire and burns.

When trying to reach your desired egg temp, start shutting you top thingy and lower vent about 50 degrees before you reach it. The egg heats up quick and cools slowly.

Your gasket will fail. Don't sweat it. BGE will send you a new one for free. Lots of us don't use a gasket at all. I suggest trying it without one to see if it works for you.

Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053

Read up about flash backs so you don't loose your arm hair and eyebrows (search on flash backs).  Burp your egg!!!!!

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• mm8552
    mm8552 Posts: 12

Welcome!  One of my favorite recipes is smoked meatloaf.  I hate to post a recipe without giving credit, but I cannot determine where I got this one.  It was probably from someone on this forum.  There are lots of great recipes and pros ready to give great advise on here!

Ingredients<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

§ 1 pound ground pork  

§ 2 pound ground beef  

§ 1 tablespoon chopped, fresh chives, plus 1 teaspoon for the sauce

§ 1 tablespoon chopped, fresh thyme leaves, plus 1 teaspoon for the sauce

§ 1 tablespoon chopped, fresh Italian parsley, plus 1 teaspoon for the sauce

§ 3 large eggs

§ 1 1/3 cups finely ground Panko (place Panko in food processor to finely grind)

§ 2/3 cup whole organic milk  

§ 1 tablespoon kosher salt

§ 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper

§ Olive oil

§ 2 stalks of celery, finely diced

§ 1 large Spanish onion, finely diced

§ 2 cups chicken stock, homemade or good quality purchased

§ 8 to 10 cloves roasted-garlic

§ 3 tablespoons butter, at room temperature

§ <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Hickory or apple chips

Directions

1.      Preheat your smoker or grill to 400 and set it up for an indirect cook. (If cooking in an oven. preheat the to 350 degrees.)

2.      Heat a medium saute pan over medium-high heat and film it with extra-virgin olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the celery and onion to the pan and cook, stirring, until softened. Remove the celery and onion from the pan and let cool

3.      Combine the celery and onions with the pork, beef, chives, thyme, parsley, eggs, Panko, milk, salt and pepper. 

4.      Using clean hands, mix the ingredients until well combined and everything is evenly distributed. Place a piece of parchment paper on a sheet pan (it should have sides at least 1 1/2 inches high to prevent grease runoff from the pan). Place the meat on the sheet pan and pat it and punch it down to remove any air pockets. Shape the meat into a loaf (about 14 1/2 inches long by 5 inches wide by 2 inches high). Place the sheet pan in the oven or on the grate of you Egg and cook for 45 to 60 minutes or until a meat thermometer indicates an internal temperature of 155 degrees. Remove the meatloaf and let it rest for 10 minutes.

5.      Meanwhile, for the sauce, combine the broth, roasted garlic and butter over medium-high heat and simmer for about 10 to 15 minutes, or until lightly thickened. Add 1 teaspoon of each of the chopped thyme, chives and parsley. Slice the meatloaf into serving portions and spoon the hot sauce over the meatloaf and serve.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited August 2012

Popcorn Crunch
    Here's an easy treat to prepare and take to the drive-in movie. The kids will love it.

1/2 cup butter, melted
            1/2 cup honey
            3 quarts popcorn, popped
            1 cup dry roasted insects, chopped

Blend the butter and honey together in a saucepan and heat gently. Mix the popcorn with the insects and pour the
    butter-honey mixture over it. Mix well. Spread on a cookie sheet in a thin layer. Bake at 350° 10 to 15 minutes on egg with pecan wood, or until crisp. Break into bite-sized pieces.
    :))
    DO make sure your thermoter is correct. Boiling water is the perfect way. They can be pretty far off from factory. Mine was about 60 degrees off
    Boom
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Listen to travis above and don't over-think it.  The engine that makes it work is fuel and air-flow.  Beyond that the learning curve-welcome and enjoy.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • I wasn't on the BGE forum when I bought mine, wish I would've been and someone could've told me a couple of tips:

• Happy egg is key:  bottom all the way open and top 5 open on the daisy wheel will allways = 400 degrees, when it warms all the way to the bottom, it's happy and will be for a long time
    • Never think you can drop temp quick, if the egg has been at say 450-500 for awhile, it's going to take some time to cool down
    • Burping egg is suggested a temps over 500
    • Like travistrick said, don't sweat the gasket

• nolaegghead
    I've learned a lot from this forum.  And I've learned a few things the hard way.  Keep reading the threads here and post any questions and you'll be cooking delicious meals in no time.

Upon further review, a few other bits of info:

on indirect cooks (platesetter in) your dome temp will initially read around 20-40*F hotter than the temp at the cooking grid-gaps narrows the longer the dome is shut.  If not specified, cooking temperatures reference the dome temp.  Check the calibration of your dome thermo before you start.  Always wait til the smoke is burning "clear" before putting your food on..(if smoke smells good then all is well, if not-wait).

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Here is another tip...when you ask for help or information on the forum...come back and say thanks...just sayin' :D
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    When cooking, pics or it didn't happen
    Boom
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    edited August 2012

No matter what you read in any recipe DON"T close the top and bottom vents and "dwell" till the cook is done.  I ruined some beautiful ribeyes this way.

Also as stated above watch out for flashbacks.  I have found that I really love my egg, but the damn thing has burned me lots of different ways.  Flashback, pulling out hot platesetter with poor quality gloves, hot small pieces of buring lava shooting out the bottom vent onto my bare foot.  This thing is HOT and likes to wound you if you are not paying attention

George

George
  • Insects in your popcorn?  FAGEDABODIT!!

Flint, Michigan
  • ratcheer
    ratcheer Posts: 189
    I am also new, I've had my Egg about a month.

One of my favorites is grilled chicken. It's very simple. Chicken pieces with the bones still in. Pat them dry with paper towels. Dry rub with anything you like - I love chicken with Old Bay. Stabilize the Egg at about 375-400. Then grill the pieces with the lid closed for about 35 minutes, turning them 1 or 3 times. Once is better for the cooking, thrice lets you keep an eye on how it's going and whether there are hot spots that make you need to switch their places. Anyway, it's not rocket science. ;)

Tim
  • I am trying to create a BGE online resource full of recipes, maintenance tips, and accessory reviews (among other things). Check out the link in my signature (sorry for the shameless self promotion). I'm not the greatest chef, but I love messing around and figuring stuff out about my BGE. So if you have anything you would like me to test or if you have general questions, please let me know!
    Let me know what you think about my Big Green Egg website
  • @biggreeneggic - Awesome site, my friend. Very well done.
  • Outcast
    Outcast Posts: 112
    @biggreeneggic   Very nice site.  One thing you have on there is incorrect though.  Under the Prices section you stated  "Well, the Big Green Egg company doesn’t actually sell directly to the consumer, but instead to “brick and mortar” stores".  BGE does sell to the public.  I bought my XL from there.  They have a very nice store in Tucker Ga.   Very friendly and helpful folks there.
  • Popcorn Crunch
    Here's an easy treat to prepare and take to the drive-in movie. The kids will love it.

1/2 cup butter, melted
            1/2 cup honey
            3 quarts popcorn, popped
            1 cup dry roasted insects, chopped

Blend the butter and honey together in a saucepan and heat gently. Mix the popcorn with the insects and pour the
    butter-honey mixture over it. Mix well. Spread on a cookie sheet in a thin layer. Bake at 350° 10 to 15 minutes on egg with pecan wood, or until crisp. Break into bite-sized pieces.
    :))
    So what are your favorite insects, I tried bees but unless you cook until the popcorn's almost burnt you can still get a pop from the stingers, I tried ant eggs but don't like the taste. Just wondering?
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • gte1 said:

No matter what you read in any recipe DON"T close the top and bottom vents and "dwell" till the cook is done.  I ruined some beautiful ribeyes this way.

Rule #33 - What works for you won't work for everyone.

I shut down all the vents and keep veggies warm all the time, and never have gotten a bad taste out of it.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Brilliant Doc! Only thing I would add is if someone helps you with a recipe, method or question thank them.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Skiddy added this one to the original list, which was my favorite addition:

If I may suggest two additional items for your list - 
    1. The best way to control the temperature is with the lower slide vent. 
    2. The best way to control the temperature is with the daisy wheel top.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Great advice.  As a fellow BGE Virgin, Love the comments.  Still not sure about the insect popcorn though.....Thanks for sharing!

• nolaegghead
    edited December 2012
    IsCornell said:
    Great advice.  As a fellow BGE Virgin, Love the comments.  Still not sure about the insect popcorn though.....Thanks for sharing!

I dug that up on the web.  Real recipe.  Would I make it?  Maybe.   Would I eat it?  Helllll no!
  • I think Doc covered it all, well just about all. Best advise is trial and error, you will learn your temps and when to cook raised or not raised. Indirect or direct. Bottom line is have fun and experiment, so many things you can do with your egg.