Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long have you owned your EGG and other info?

Chebon
Chebon Posts: 1
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Just curious how long others have owned their EGGs? What size? How many? Etc?

I purchased my LGE BGE in '02 I believe and built a large table out of Red Oak with a piece of slate for heat protection and lockable swivel casters, I think I found the plans/write up on Naked Whiz to give credit.  When I got mine it had a non-adjustable hinge which was replaced free of charge due to the fact it allowed a gap at the rear between the lid.  

I have a platesetter, dual remote thermometer and a cast iron grate, which along with the firebox is cracked in multiple locations and have been for many many years.

Over the years I have smoked, grilled, fried and baked just about everything and can say that I have ruined eating out for myself and many of family and friends with the food that has come off that friend of mine!

Anyway, like I say, I'm not a fisherman, I just catch fish!  I certainly don't have the grandest setup nor recipes; however, I can say after 10 years it is still one of the best purchases I have ever made!!!

I added some pics, but, I am certain they are not anything that you haven't seen before.

p.s. At the time of this post the shoulder is at 165 and the EGG is at 220!

Thanks.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited September 2012
    Just 5 years ago bought a Small (sold it this year as I just did not use it). Have a Large and two Minis. March 2013 will be my third year to put on the Salado EggFest now with KIlts. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I just started in June of this year (fathers day!)

XL BGE

platesetter

maverick ET 732

woo2

auber pit controller

ci grates

20" wok

outdoorkitchen is on the way!

I just love the quality of the food that this cooker produces!

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• 5 yrs. We started with a large, then purchased small, and then a mini and use them all.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    LBGE Dec.2011, nest, platesetter, wings, CGS extended LAR, pizza stone, thermapen. rubs, spices, Bone-Suckin' Sauce, recipes & procedures in my iphone, various wood chips & chunks, fire starters, 91% rubbing alcohol, platters, flippers, long tongs, grillin' gloves, and other various sundry BBQ 'tools', re-arranged back porch (below), new forum to play around in, re-energized social activity (hey, can you bring some of that pulled pork?), new recipes, knowledge & ideas, and some amazed family, friends, and co-workers!
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Got my LBGE about 4 months ago and getting the XL this coming weekend best grill/smoker i ever owned 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • I've had a Weber kettle for many years and used the Smokenator (rig that turns a kettle into a smoker) for about 3 years.  I've always wanted an Egg, but the price was always something that hung me up.  I found a LBGE on Craigslist in a long table with platesetter, pizza stone and a few other doo dads & I got it for $625.  I got Wilma hooked on the results and we just bought a SBGE at the Indy EggFest for picnics and to compliment the large.

There is nothing like it and there's no going back now! 

Flint, Michigan
  • I purchased my LBGE back in 2005 with a plate-setter,rib rack, custom fit table, grill gripper,ash tool,BGE lump coal, and seasoning for $ 925.00 from a small distributor here in GA.

I use the smoker about 8-10 times a year and love it.

I don't plan on getting a XL in the near future. My size fits us just fine.

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Large Egg, 1 year ago tomorrow

• Bought an XL in April of 2011, Mini for Christmas and a LBGE at the Athens Eggfest last spring...The nest is almost complete.. Sill no tables yet, haven't found the right design for storage and easy movement

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Had a LBGE for 15 years and gave it to my son and bought an XL about a month ago.  Son made me a table for the XL with granite top and storage.  When the doors go on this week, he is going to post the table pics.

Have PS, woo, two-tier rack from Ceramic Grill Works and other toys.
  • Tjcoley said:
    Large Egg, 1 year ago tomorrow

Happy anniversary!

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• Wilby
    Wilby Posts: 155
    I originally had a medium.  We moved into a RV resort and I sadly had to sell it.  A month later they changed the CC&R's and that weekend I purchased the large.  I've been egging for 14 years and love it.
  • 3 or 4 years.  I don't remember for sure.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Large. 8 years.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nemo
    nemo Posts: 113
    Large...2 years 
    Fairview, Texas
  • Large. March of this year
    Boom
  • DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Large for the past two years, learned what proper BBQ really is and the enjoyment of cooking it for others. Grill on my large 3-4 times a week Low and Slo about once a month.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    edited September 2012

2 larges and a medium 3 years or so ago...

2 cedar tables, multiple Guru's, CGW Swing Grate

We Egg two to three times a week. 

• We bought our large BGE right before Memorial Day. We are (or should I say I am) still experimenting with rubs and seasonings but even the disappointments have been awful tasty. Next up: a brisket. (you tought I was gonna say another BGE, didn't you?
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Long enough to put on 10 lbs.  =))

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Got a LBGE a little over a week ago. Have the PS, cast iron grate, vrack, and an igrill on the way
  • Bought my Large back in June of 2011. Have it in a nest on my deck down here in FL. Have spent a ton on accessories ...platesetter(a must obviously), cast iron grate, raised grid, grate gripper, chimney starter, rib rack, I even have BGE salt n pepper shakers...I estimate I've done over 100 cooks on it,mostly pork butts,pizzas,ribs,chicken, burgers n steaks. I experiment all the time w/it. I have to say its the best purchase I've ever made, and have no problem admitting I'm obsessed w/the lifestyle..
  • I bought an XL about 2 weeks ago and have cooked almost every day since: baby backs, spatchcock chicken, pizza, sourdough bread, baked potatoes, mixed veg, grilled pineapple, pork shoulder. Already, I had a Traeger pellet grill, TEC infrared natural gas grill, 2 Weber charcoal grills, Holland portable. Now my wife thinks I am a lunatic because I am muttering comments about a "second egg." A better thread would be: How did you convince your spouse you needed a ... second egg. Picked up a DigiQ, Plate setter, pizza stone, CGW swing grate, WooSomething, iGrill. Of course, now I need a trailer, a new house, and a second job, but the ribs are great.
  • We bought our first Egg back in 2005.  

Still enjoy great food cooked on it every week.

When it comes to a backyard cooker, the Big Green Egg "goes to eleven".

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• 1 Large BGE. I got it for Father's Day '12. It's been a wonderful cooking experience. 
    Large BGE as of Father's day '12 http://www.jwhit.com
  • April 2012. Plate setter is the only accessory so far. I've done several butts and a few briskets. I've also done steaks a few times.
  • First large was '97 or '98.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Not trying to hijack but since some people have had their Eggs for awhile hopefully they can answer: how long should an egg last? No cover, left outside. I know grates may need replaced but I have 0 concerns about it being moved so no risk of damage there. How long should this large last before needs to be replaced?
    Boom