Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Labor Day Weekend

Comments

• lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Pork butt tomorrow night!  And tons of college football!  Have fun everyone.

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • Pork Butt, Wings, and ABT'S for Saturday football.
  • SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    I moved down to North Carolina from Michigan last year.  I am amazed that I cannot find any worthy cuts of pork or beef here.  I have seen and tasted the most sorry cuts of meat here.  We are in the middle of BBQ country and nowhere to get a good cut of meat. WTF?  Pork butts go for $1.09 to $1.69 per pound all day long in the Detroit area.  Everything down here is $3.00+ and the quality is not fit for dog food.  T-Bone steaks were on SALE for $11.99, what a joke.  The only thing that is OK is the chicken.  My Egg needs some good meat.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • I had to scratch the picnic because Wilma got called into work so I put the brisket on this morning instead.  Picnic at the lake tomorrow with spatch chicken.  I'm thinking about doing a butt for my fantasy football draft on Monday.  Is 10:00 am too early to serve pulled pork?
    Flint, Michigan
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Is 10:00 am too early to serve pulled pork?
    Absolutely not!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited August 2012
    Tamale cornbread dressing and andouille sausage.

Oops.  I meant for this to go to the "sides" thread.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Dan4BBQ
    Dan4BBQ Posts: 271
    Looks great---I don't even dream this well.
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Dan4BBQ said:
    Looks great---I don't even dream this well.

+1 or maybe 3

:))

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    edited August 2012

I moved down to North Carolina from Michigan last year.  I am amazed that I cannot find any worthy cuts of pork or beef here.  I have seen and tasted the most sorry cuts of meat here.  We are in the middle of BBQ country and nowhere to get a good cut of meat. WTF?  Pork butts go for $1.09 to $1.69 per pound all day long in the Detroit area.  Everything down here is $3.00+ and the quality is not fit for dog food.  T-Bone steaks were on SALE for $11.99, what a joke.  The only thing that is OK is the chicken.  My Egg needs some good meat.
    SamFerrise, it's not too late to go back to Detroit. We North Carolinians won't mind. You're kind of a Debby Downer. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Is 10:00 am too early to serve pulled pork?
    Absolutely not!
    That decides it!  Pulled pork for us pigskin enthusiests!  Don't think I'll do the omelet thing, they are my competitors afterall.  And one of them is my daughter!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Hi54putty said:

SamFerrise, it's not too late to go back to Detroit. We North Carolinians won't mind. You're kind of a Debby Downer. 

B-)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    Hi54putty said:

+1 please go back. If your in NC and can't find good pork you are a moron. Just go to a piggly wiggly. They have fresh cut Boston Butts everyday. You could always go to nahunta pork center and get the best pork around. They raise their pigs and slaughter them daily and have fresh cuts available.
  • Hi54putty
    @mike8it,
    Where is Nahunta pork center? Sounds cool.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • On the road to south Texas. Mini is in the back waiting for the weekend workout. Definitely burgers and sausage and whatever else stricks our fancy.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Mike8it
    edited September 2012
    Putty - Nahunta is outside of Wilson and I believe they have an outlet in Raleigh. Here is their website http://www.nahuntapork.com/

• ABT's with corn on the cob. Not sure about Sat yet, but Sunday will be wings. B-)
    Large, small, and a mini
  • The neighbors are throwing their annual meatfest party. (no, not a bunch of dudes) i think last yr had something like 35 different kinds of meat. Not cuts, different animals. I gotta come up with something good to bring. No veggies allowed! Any ideas
    well my weekend is a sausage fest.  25#  of brats yesterday, batch #1 of summer sausage waiting in the fridge ready to be smoked saturday. Another batch of summer sausage to be made saturday morning. Then theres another 30 # of meat still thawing in the fridge for italian sausage to be made sunday. I'm probally pushing my luck messing up the wifes kitchen four days straight. But what the heck deer season starts in 15 days and I need to do something to help make room for more meat. Oh the summer sausage is jalopeno w/ lava jack cheese.
  • Just keepin it simple for us:

App:  stuffed mushrooms
    2nd app / main course:  wings
    main course:  lasagna
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • I started a 6# flat at about 6:30. I have my Fantasy Football draft at my place at 6. One of the guys has been eyeing an egg for a while so he is bring the fixings for abt's those will go on about 5:30 for the best part of fantasy football, the food.
    LBGE South Dakota
  • Getting my brisket ready for Labor Day.  I found a great 14.5 lb packer at Walmart.  I couldn't believe it when I saw it in the meat case. $2.67 per pound is a great price too.

• SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Picked up a pork butt two-pack (would that be an 'ass'?) at Costco. Looked at a packer at Malwart butt we did something like that last weekend so back to butts (the wife's fav, too) this weekend. Taking one to a family with friend in hospice and watching my teams open up the season! 
  • Mike8it said:

+1 please go back. If your in NC and can't find good pork you are a moron. Just go to a piggly wiggly. They have fresh cut Boston Butts everyday. You could always go to nahunta pork center and get the best pork around. They raise their pigs and slaughter them daily and have fresh cuts available.

Mike8it said:

Whoa there, be careful guys - he might be right. I grew up in Wisconsin - lived here since I was 5. We farm and have always raised our own beef. Only occasionally when we ran low on freezer beef would we buy at the store. Around here, one has to be very careful and choosy to get what I consider GOOD beef at the store. This is dairy country - I think a lot of the beef we see in the stores may be from butchered cull cows. If not that, there are a lot of Holstein steers raised in these parts. You can get good beef from a Holstein steer - that is mostly what we had for years before getting out of dairying - but the chances of getting a bad one are much higher than with beef breeds like Angus, Hereford, Simmental, etc.

Now, having said that - I spent one year in Texas when I was younger. I was dirt poor and bough the cheapest cuts of beef I could find. I was simply amazed at how good most of the beef was down there for the prices I was paying. Texas is not a "dairy" area.

My point being - I think there are differences in areas of the country. You Carolina guys might not know what you are missing. Maybe Sam just doesn't know where to shop. Who knows. But before telling a guy to get lost, consider the points I have just made.
  • Hi54putty
    @twlangan, Check out some of Sam's other posts and then let us know if you want to take the same position. He is either a total jerk or is attempting to portray one on this forum...and, just to clarify, he absolutely is not correct.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Wow, you guys are very hostile.  I really appreciate the comments, it helps me gauge who is blogging here.  Most of the people are very friendly and diverse.  Anyway, have a nice Labor Day Weekend.

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Hi54putty said:

Of course Sammy has few peers when it comes to pizza.  Just ask him.  
  • Mike8it
    @duganboy - 2 funny. Just got finished reading the thread about pizza dough.

@sam - I apologize if I was hostile. I grew up on the NC coast and have heard to many transplants complain about the way we do things here. I hope you have a nice holiday weekend and maybe NC will get its act together concerning pork and meat products.

8-|
  • Brisket went on at 8:00 PM.  I am shooting for Noon finish time then about 2-3 hours wrapped in the cooler.

• Ribs, ABT'S, and steak on Monday.
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    And pizza!!
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    @Lowflyer   DROOL..... Nice looking cook.
  • 11 hours into cook, internal temp 149, dome temp 245