Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HELP---Table hole is to small

pileit1971
pileit1971 Posts: 136
edited August 2012 in EGG Table Forum
Well I was on a trip when my table was delivered from a local contractor so I wasn't here.  I got home last night and was very excited until I saw the size of the hole he cut was only 19" diameter, and all the plans I gave him to reference have 21" diameter... GRRRRRRRRRRRR

So for the table experts and BGE experts, I have a 19" hole, and have not tried putting the egg in yet, I have a paver on the bottom and I am also going to be using the table nest that will raise the egg up higher then I would have originally planned, just curious thoughts on a solution, short of having him have to rebuild the top...

For the woodworkers, how easy is it to cut the hole larger???

For the engineers, with egg sitting up higher does the diameter get small enough to fit? 

And even if it does fit just barely, how much space should there be to avoid burning the table to the ground and for airflow?

Again I apologize for all the newbie questions, I am SO Mad, I was excited to fire this wonderful BGE up this weekend for pizza and ribs..

Thank you!!
Large BGE
Camp Chef 4 burner Griddle

Near Cleveland, Ohio

Comments

• FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    Depends on what the top is made of.  If it's wood, you could do it as simply as using a jigsaw if you were comfortable then cleaning it up with a sander.  I think 19" is too small to overcome just by raising, and that if you raised it that much it would be awkwardly high.  I'm not absolutely sure, but the Egg doesn't taper that quickly if I am thinking correctly.

Sorry to hear about your problem, hope it's an easy fix.
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Don't need a table to fire up an egg... What's the table top made from?
    Lynnwood WA
  • FxLynch
    I should add, unless you gave the guy the wrong measurements, he should fix it free of charge.  If he knew it was for an Egg, and has built them before and didn't need measurements he should also fix it for free.
  • pileit1971
    Its made of pressure treated wood, here is 4 seasons of cleveland, I don't think anything else would have lasted. It looks great and will put a stain and lacquer on it as well.

He has not made one before and honeslty very surprised with his mistake, I gave him the plans for the BGE long table and its very clear for the size of the hole.  I do expect him to fix it for free but not sure what time he has.  And like I said what to fire it up...

I thought about the jigsaw and I do have one, just afraid I would mess up the measurement more, I know I could do it before the hole was cut at all, just trying to figure out how to do it to just make it bigger...any ideas?  I can fly the heck out of an airplane, just not cut a piece of wood :)
    Large BGE

Near Cleveland, Ohio
  • This usually gets the job done

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

XLBGE 
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    19 is definitely too small. I went 21.5" on mine. The jigsaw will be the best way. I'd cut 1" all the we around to get to 21" total, and then sand/round the edges. Not too hard, but I'd let him fix it since he got paid to build the table. Tht way, if it's screwed up, it's still on him.
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • double
    I was going to make a lube joke Mr Cn on your labor day post and if your feeling frisky but thought no poor guy got given a rough time about that... OP I would call the contractor first and see what he plans on doing. Rather let him fix it. Cook with it on a paver or in the table nest don't waste the weekend looking at it!
    Lynnwood WA
  • pileit1971
    No worries, give me a hard time, just be sure to bring the KY I am used to BOHICA :)

I know its a little thread drift, but I have seen some pictures of some peeps BGE bottom vent that has 3 holes in the solid door for more precise temp control.  Is that something that can be ordered or is that standard with the BGE??? Darn thing is still in the box so I don't even know...

Thanks!!
    Large BGE

Near Cleveland, Ohio
  • double
    Dude unpack it and cook! It works just fine with the grate it comes with. I believe what you are referring to is a micro adjustment vent. Not needed.
    Lynnwood WA
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    This usually gets the job done Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

=)) =)) =))

Way to own that one! Well played
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Make a template from a piece of plywood and use a router to enlarge the hole.
  • misu
    misu Posts: 213
    Make a template from a piece of plywood and use a router to enlarge the hole.
    What he said, perfect excuse to buy a router if you don't have one already :)
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

I would try the KY route. Besides you already have it, dont ya?

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Okay, help again, today is assembly day, got the hole bigger, but I think the rim of the bottom half is still resting slightly against the wood top.  I have a a piece of tile and the table nest sits on the outside of the tile....

Is it okay if the egg is kind of touching/resting on the wood top of the table or will that cause a fire???

Large BGE

Near Cleveland, Ohio
  • Here are two pictures...

It seems sturdy enough, just concerned with that rim, I rearranged the nest and it appears that it is center and not 'resting' on the wood, but its very close and don't want to destroy my nice new table..

HELP

Really sorry for being so needy :)
    Large BGE

Near Cleveland, Ohio
  • A2Z
    A2Z Posts: 99

Perhaps use a larger tile so the legs of the nest set on the tile and give you a small clearance on the sides of the egg.

I believe with even a very small clearance you will not burn the wood.

There will be no direct flame only radiant heat.

Fire it up!  Maybe a poor choice of words. LOL  

• FxLynch
    I think if you go pick up a larger paver stone it will not only be quite a bit taller, but as mentioned the legs will actually fit on the stone for even more clearance.
  • I don't think you now have enough hinge clearance in the back.  Put the hinge on and see what I mean. Needs to come up out of the table a couple of inches?

Lots of bad table plans floating around out there.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• +1 doubt your hinge will clear.
    +1 put a paver under the tile or a larger tile will raise the egg and most likely not need to cut bigger hole

XLBGE 
  • 4" minimum from top of base felt to bottom of hinge when dome is up.....
    Your side clearance will be solved when you raise the egg up on another 2" paver, I'd guess...
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Well instead of adding a paver and bringing the egg up even higher, and almost to high to work on, I took the top off and sawed 2 inches off the top of the legs and seems to be working good.  Of course while putting on the rings and tightening one of the acorn nuts the bolt snapped off, so get to wait for more parts next week, but still going to fire it up tomorrow.
    Large BGE

Near Cleveland, Ohio