Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Replacement Dome

ArlingtonGrill
ArlingtonGrill Posts: 65
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Very, very sad news tonight. My dome fell out of its brace and is in pieces. Services to be held tomorrow. Don't want to explain how much of an idiot I am. Anyway, does Anyone know if the company sells replacement domes?

Comments

• JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    Ouch.

How in the world? Did the bands come loose? Did you drop the dome closed?
  • I would contact your dealer for a replacement dome.... that is where I would start.

Good luck

• Bands were loose and I knew it. I had the upper band loose due to alignment issues and it had been working fine. I had it up to 700 to sear some filet mignon and after burping I opened and I just had to watch as it fell out. Too hot to stop it.
  • JohnMc
    JohnMc Posts: 76
    I shattered the dome on a medium a few months ago.  Replacement cost $150 and took about 10 days to get from my local BGE store.  Mine was from a really stupid mistake I made when replacing the bolts with stainless steel ones. 
  • Thanks for the responses. Good to know replacements are available. Doesn't sound like I will have any BGE cooking over the holiday weekend, but will call the local dealer tomorrow morning first thing.
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Call Big Green Egg directly. I spoke with a guy a few months back about something tht was my fault. The guy (Duane, I believe) was very helpful. HE said they have returned and spare parts all over their shop and asked exactly what part I needed. He called me back the same day and put it in the mail for me at no charge. No promises, but worth a shot. Their customer service is top notch. I'm sure they'll do something to help you out.
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • I was at my local dealer and saw the replacement parts lists.  They have all the parts and costs.  I don't think they are that crazy.  I think the large dome was $300 but this is in Canada where all prices are double.

I feel for you.

Cheers

• Thx! Will give the BGE guys a call. Can't hurt.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    All the parts are available, per the current price list - I don't know if all former models/stles are covered, but I'm sure if your egg is less than 5 years old, they will have a dome for you. Call your dealer. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • My dads egg had the dome fall TWICE  but luckily both times it was next to a wall and it caught it so he hasnt had to replace it.  I added a nest handler to mine when i had it apart and moved from Lubbock to Albuquerque. I keep a 7\16 wrench handy to tighten the nuts occasionally .

NOT WHEN ITS HOT!!!!!
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • Thanks for the responses. Good to know replacements are available. Doesn't sound like I will have any BGE cooking over the holiday weekend, but will call the local dealer tomorrow morning first thing.
    Just go buy another to cook with this weekend  lol :):)  everyone needs more than 1 egg.

I hope to have a small soon 
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM