Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CI Grid on the cheap?

JWBurns
JWBurns Posts: 344
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Looking for a cheap place to source a small or medium sized CI grid for my XL. It will be used on my Woo2 for searing, ect. My dealer wants $67 for the large.. Maybe I'm off but lord that seems pricey for a grid.

Thanks

Comments

• I got one off ebay...but I still paid $50 for a large
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    JWBurns said:
    Looking for a cheap place to source a small or medium sized CI grid for my XL. It will be used on my Woo2 for searing, ect. My dealer wants $67 for the large.. Maybe I'm off but lord that seems pricey for a grid. Thanks
    thats only half a grid for the XL its two pieces i believe  
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Vitaman
    Vitaman Posts: 46

All the cast iron grids are expensive.  I just bought one for my small (13 inch I think) from a local BGE dealer.  I think it was marked at $40 and they gave me a little discount since i was buying some other stuff and charged me around $35. 

If you don't need cast iron you can go to Home Depot and buy a steel grate for a Weber that fits a small BGE for ~$8.  (I think you said in your post you were looking for a medium or small.)

Jeff

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Actually, given the quality of the BGE CI's, the price is good. Agreed it may seem like like too much money, I suggest you compare on line to other brands of cast iron grids. A set of CI grids for gasser can run anywhere from $35 to $150. 
    The list for a medium CI is about $50, you should be able to get 15-20% off list on the accessories. I think the small is $40. Your dealer probably has a large in stock and he is trying to push it, get what you want, if a small is all you want, you should be able to get from a dealer for less than $35. 
    If you are going to use it with a rig, would a square or rectangular grid work? If so, check out some sites like http://clagrills.com/. I used then for some Broil King parts. Look thru the list of cast grids and see if one fits. 

Good Luck!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    bigphil said:
    JWBurns said:
    Looking for a cheap place to source a small or medium sized CI grid for my XL. It will be used on my Woo2 for searing, ect. My dealer wants $67 for the large.. Maybe I'm off but lord that seems pricey for a grid. Thanks
    thats only half a grid for the XL its two pieces i believe  
    facepalm i need to learn to read better  b-(
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • misu
    misu Posts: 213
    I was looking for another grid at my local dealer and I noticed there's not much difference between the stainless steel one and the CI for a large, weird.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    edited August 2012
    I really wanted to get a CI grate, but I've just been using a warped pitted wagner skillet that's completely dedicated for the egg to do my searing. I just seared a few ribeyes last weekend. You don't get the grill marks like you do with a grate, but the skillet does a really nice job and it has plenty of other uses on the grill too. I got that skillet for $1--about as cheap as it gets.
    Dunedin, FL