Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Weekend Cooking -- Pig Shots

boatbum
boatbum Posts: 1,273
edited August 2012 in Appetizers

Canvassed the forum last week for recipe input - took the plunge this week and prepared Pig Shots for an appetizer.  Nothing real complex - just followed the steps outlined here.    These things are over-the-top very good - if you like sausage, bacon, and Cream cheese.    I put some fresh Jalepeno chunks in the cream cheese, topped with Brown Sugar and some homemade rub a friend gave to me.

One other note about prep.   My standard "go-to" with larger groups for an appetizer has in the past been some variant of bacon wrapped jalepeno (insert filling here).    This is so much less work assembling.    Don't let the bacon strips get warmed up much.   I used a piping bag for the filling.   If I wanted 50+ appetizer servings - this would be the route I would go.

imageimageimageimageimage
Cookin in Texas

Comments

• They look amazing, I'll have to give them a try.  I like ABTs but they're a pain to prep.
  • BGEGP
    BGEGP Posts: 47
    Quick question from a newbie.  What does ABTs stand for?
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Quick question from a newbie.  What does ABTs stand for?
    Atomic buffalo turds

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    edited August 2012
    Atomic Buffalo Teard... Not the most appealing name. We call them "bacon wrappers" in my house or the family won't eat them :D (Its basically any variation of a jalapeño wrapped in bacon)
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Hmm. I did these and the prep was a disaster. I think I didn't buy thick enough bacon. Looks good!

XLBGE 
  • boatbum
    Hmm. I did these and the prep was a disaster. I think I didn't buy thick enough bacon. Looks good!

I looked for bacon that was at least medium thickness, as much lean as I could.   Easier to wrap if the bacon is chilled.   Noticed that once it started to warm, was much more difficult.  Also - height of sausage is a factor, make sure it is at least halfway up the bacon.

Cookin in Texas
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    I use the Oscar Mayer Black label bacon at room temp. Very stretchable.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501

I did some kielbasa shots yesterday. Boy those are great.

Will make  a slew of them next time around.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Those look great! Nice job. I would rate the level of work for the prep as in the middle between MOINK balls and ABTs.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • boatbum
    What are MOINK balls?
    Cookin in Texas
  • boatbum said:

Hmm. I did these and the prep was a disaster. I think I didn't buy thick enough bacon. Looks good!

I looked for bacon that was at least medium thickness, as much lean as I could.   Easier to wrap if the bacon is chilled.   Noticed that once it started to warm, was much more difficult.  Also - height of sausage is a factor, make sure it is at least halfway up the bacon.

Good deal. Thanks.

XLBGE 
  • dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    boatbum said:
    What are MOINK balls?
    I believe those are bacon wrapped meatballs.
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    boatbum said:
    What are MOINK balls?

MOINK balls are bacon wrapped beef meatballs (usually the store bought frozen kind 1/2 oz ea size) dusted with rub, cooked in a similar fashion as the pig shots except they get dipped or brushed with BBQ sauce in the last few minutes.  MOINK = "Moo" (beef meatball) + "Oink" (bacon).image

They're definitely easier to prep than pig shots or ABTs.  I prefer the range of flavors in pig shots better but these go very well as an appetizer.  I haven't met a kid that didn't love them. 

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • boatbum

Thinking these will go good with football on Saturday.....

Cookin in Texas
  • boatbum

OR as a Arkansas Razorback would yell ------

Mooooooooooooooo   Pig Sooooieee ---- the SEC fans in the audience will get the joke -- hahahahah

Cookin in Texas
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Those look great!  Did you do them in-direct?  What temp and about how long did they take?  

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Boatbum...TN this weekend...go vols!
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Great looking pig shots. Something I still have not got around to. So many good recipes here, so little time....

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings