Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.


In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Yikes! Mold in the egg

ZaltydogZaltydog Posts: 104
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Just went to fire up the egg after not using it for a couple of weeks.  The inside was very fuzzy throughout.  Lesson learned-clean well if going to be gone for awhile.

Comments

  • BrownieBrownie Posts: 1,023
    Fill it up with lump and then let the lump burn the mold away. Some folks report success of leaving the draft doors open to allow moisture to escape to prevent mold from growing.  
  • ZaltydogZaltydog Posts: 104
    Have started the lump as I have two spatchcock chickens ready to go.  Thanks for the tips, I will be leaving the vent open from now on.
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 5,001
    Time to fire up the afterburners. 

    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • OutcastOutcast Posts: 112
    edited August 2012
    I had the same problem on a few occasions of extended time away.  Leaving the vent door open like Brownie said has worked for me.
  • Where do some of y'all with mold problems live? Longest I've been without cooking is prolly two weeks. I'm in Mississippi.


    _______________________________________________

    XLBGE 
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,528
    After cooking, especially a low and slow, I always let the Egg heat up a bit (450) and leave it there for about 30 minutes to burn all the organic material left in the egg from the cook.  I figure this 'sterilizes' the inside of the Egg and should prevent mold.  Never had a mold problem.
    __________________________________________
    It's not a science, it's an art. And it's flawed.
    - Camp Hill, PA
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 8,347
    Tjcoley said:
    After cooking, especially a low and slow, I always let the Egg heat up a bit (450) and leave it there for about 30 minutes to burn all the organic material left in the egg from the cook.  I figure this 'sterilizes' the inside of the Egg and should prevent mold.  Never had a mold problem.
    Works for me too, great advice. Friend had some mould issues, his habit was to put on the rain cap, close the lower vent when he took the last item off his egg, the idea was to snuff it out and save lump. He went away for a month, returned to the most incredible science experiment ever. He now makes sure the temp is 400 or 500 if he is unable to use his egg for a few days. 
    Delta B.C. - Move over coffee, this is job for alcohol!
  • AleBrewerAleBrewer Posts: 555
    Because of my work schedule, my Egg sits for three weeks between uses. After my last cook and Egg has cooled off, I clean it out, remove all ash, and leave the bottom vent wide open and put a piece of rope across the top opening so that the top cap has doesn't sit tight on the Egg. This leaves some air flow through the Egg.

    Haven't had any mold since I started doing it like this.
  • ZaltydogZaltydog Posts: 104
    Great ideas!  I have implemented a new plan.  Thanks all!
  • Sgt93Sgt93 Posts: 704
    Zaltydog said:
    Great ideas!  I have implemented a new plan.  Thanks all!
    +1
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A bunch of Webers - A bunch of accessories - Ceramic Grill Works 2-Tier 
    Follow me on Twitter & Instagram: @SSgt93
Sign In or Register to comment.
Click here for Forum Use Guidelines.