Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yikes! Mold in the egg

Options
Zaltydog
Zaltydog Posts: 106
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Just went to fire up the egg after not using it for a couple of weeks.  The inside was very fuzzy throughout.  Lesson learned-clean well if going to be gone for awhile.

Comments

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    Fill it up with lump and then let the lump burn the mold away. Some folks report success of leaving the draft doors open to allow moisture to escape to prevent mold from growing.  
  • Zaltydog
    Options
    Have started the lump as I have two spatchcock chickens ready to go.  Thanks for the tips, I will be leaving the vent open from now on.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Time to fire up the afterburners. 

Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Outcast
    Outcast Posts: 112
    edited August 2012
    Options
    I had the same problem on a few occasions of extended time away.  Leaving the vent door open like Brownie said has worked for me.
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Where do some of y'all with mold problems live? Longest I've been without cooking is prolly two weeks. I'm in Mississippi.

XLBGE 
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    After cooking, especially a low and slow, I always let the Egg heat up a bit (450) and leave it there for about 30 minutes to burn all the organic material left in the egg from the cook.  I figure this 'sterilizes' the inside of the Egg and should prevent mold.  Never had a mold problem.
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Tjcoley said:
    After cooking, especially a low and slow, I always let the Egg heat up a bit (450) and leave it there for about 30 minutes to burn all the organic material left in the egg from the cook.  I figure this 'sterilizes' the inside of the Egg and should prevent mold.  Never had a mold problem.
    Works for me too, great advice. Friend had some mould issues, his habit was to put on the rain cap, close the lower vent when he took the last item off his egg, the idea was to snuff it out and save lump. He went away for a month, returned to the most incredible science experiment ever. He now makes sure the temp is 400 or 500 if he is unable to use his egg for a few days. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    Options
    Because of my work schedule, my Egg sits for three weeks between uses. After my last cook and Egg has cooled off, I clean it out, remove all ash, and leave the bottom vent wide open and put a piece of rope across the top opening so that the top cap has doesn't sit tight on the Egg. This leaves some air flow through the Egg.

Haven't had any mold since I started doing it like this.
  • Zaltydog
    Options
    Great ideas!  I have implemented a new plan.  Thanks all!
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Options
    Zaltydog said:
    Great ideas!  I have implemented a new plan.  Thanks all!
    +1
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93