Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Almost 12 hours and still counting

Options
Hinpeck
Hinpeck Posts: 8
edited August 2012 in Beef
14lb beast.  The stall seemed to last at least 5 hours at around 170-175 degrees.  Royal Oak burned out after around 10.5 hours.  Ran it around 200-225 (dome) all night.  Had to take off the beast this AM and reload more coal.  While bringing the LBGE back up to temp (350, to then settle it back down to around 250 - dome), I put the beast back on.  The internal meat temp got up to 192 but is now around 183, about 30 mins later.  Feels pretty good to the touch.  Company coming over to eat in 2 hours and I would like to let it rest before serving.  Think I should pull it now and let it start the rest or crank up the heat to 350ish for about 30 mins then pull it? 

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    edited August 2012
    Options

Talking large pork shoulder or brisket-can't tell from original post-regardless either cook does not need a rest before pulling/slicing so no worries there.  Depending on the hunk of meat will dictate a little about how to finish it up-pork-anywhere in the 195*F plus range-brisket-thickest part of the flat, probe with no resistance in or out and finished-generally 190+ to around 205*F.  Take the dome to around 325-350 to punch it home.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hinpeck
    Options
    Brisket.  Right after I posted, went out and checked and the dome temp was around 400, internal temp was 177, so I yanked it.  It's not wrapped and in the cooler and holding at 178.  Sure hope it's done...
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    wrap it in foil and put it in the oven at 325.  It should get done.  If not done, chop it and tell everyone you had a hankering for chopped brisket, just to changes things up a bit from the typical sliced presentation..............lol

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    brisket-thickest part of the flat, probe with no resistance in or out and finished-generally 190+ to around 205*F.  There's the doneness indicator-if you were measuring temp/resistance in the point you will get little to no resistance at lower temps due to the fat content. Your call but I would put it back on the BGE-good luck.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hinpeck
    Options
    It was definitely done, pretty dry actually, but everyone loved it though.  Need more practice...
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Brisket isn't done at 178. If it was dry, that is because it was NOT DONE.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    edited August 2012
    Options
    @Hinpeck sounds really good . as for your lump i use RO and filled my egg up to the top of the fire ring lit it thursday night at 7pm cooked at 265 grid all night and day made butts and chuck roast on it then made dogs and burgers for dinner and brought it up to 500 for a pizza almost went a full 24 hours. took about ten pounds of RO to fill it (was a bit of a struggle at the end but it made it)
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    Options

Bingo
  • jay75
    jay75 Posts: 153
    Options
    JWBurns said:

Bingo
    Correctamundo!
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Nothing to add-
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    brisket-thickest part of the flat, probe with no resistance in or out and finished-generally 190+ to around 205*F.  There's the doneness indicator-if you were measuring temp/resistance in the point you will get little to no resistance at lower temps due to the fat content. Your call but I would put it back on the BGE-good luck.
    14 lb brisket done in 12 hours at 225?  Not happening.  Listen to all the "it's not done" advice given above. 
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!