Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What can I use this for? (cast iron)

Options
2»

Comments

• inkyon
    inkyon Posts: 88
    Options
    It is what you wanted to do and it is how you roll with. Nothing wrong with it while I just simply think Griswold is a special item.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I agree.  Now that I know more than I used to about them.  Just didn't appreciate them as much not knowing.
    edited August 2012
    Options

It's a fish fry pan for a sportsman grill/hibachi like this one made by Lodge.

You've basically got two joined skillets. Have fun with it. 

A cool dad ya got there.  Mine has called a couple of times to read the markings over the phone to see if the price is good.    

This is currently for sale but pickup only.

Fresh new grapeseed paint.

$50

Hard to put this up for sale, but I just don't use it much with the eggs now.  Pound for pound, the best hibachi on the market.  Great side burners for #8 skillets or DOs.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

I have a specific use in mind -- $65...

Should we lobby the moderator for a bid button on here?   LOL

Cookin in Texas
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Options
    I think it would make a fantastic drip pad for the Mad Max Thanksgiving Turkey.    Make the gravy right in it
    That was my Exact thought too  Id cut the handles and use it all the time especially at Thanksgiving
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • ratcheer
    ratcheer Posts: 189
    edited August 2012
    Options
    I personally think it is a beautiful piece and I wouldn't go cutting, grinding, or welding on it. But that's just me.

I would season it and use it in my kitchen oven or on the stovetop. It looks like it would be perfect for a turkey or large roast, ham, paella or jambalaya. Bacon. Many things...

Then, if you do ever get an XL BGE, it will be very handy there, too.

Tim
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    ratcheer said:
    I personally think it is a beautiful piece and I wouldn't go cutting, grinding, or welding on it. But that's just me.

I would season it and use it in my kitchen oven or on the stovetop. It looks like it would be perfect for a turkey or large roast, ham, paella or jambalaya. Bacon. Many things...

Tim
    +1 best plan yet 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options

Update, grill is sold and awaiting pickup tomorrow thanks to craigslist.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited August 2012
    Options
    boatbum said:

I have a specific use in mind -- $65...

Should we lobby the moderator for a bid button on here?   LOL

Shipping will add at least another twenty

May be a little narrow for a roasting pan

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    Options
    Lowflyer said:
    Your right bigphil. I got so excited that I never questioned the size. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    I wonder if someone could heat those handles and bend them up so that it would fit the LBGE. You would still be able to use the handles and that would be an awesome cooking pot.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    You can bend some cast irons a little bit if you heat them up to white hot, but 90 degrees is too much of a bend.
    Options
    How about cutting them off and then just welding the rounded part closer to the main section. You could also cut them off and drill some holes in the main section so you could use a couple hooks to lift it. I would sure find a way to use it if it was mine.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    You could do either
    Options
    Trust me, it's gonna get used on the Egg come hell or high water. I wanna start playing w/ cast iron and this will be fun!!! Stay tuned!! I'm thinking Paella.
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Fish. Perfect idea. And +1 on Griswold.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • ratcheer
    ratcheer Posts: 189
    Options
    bigphil said:
    ratcheer said:

Tim
    +1 best plan yet 
    Thanks!

Tim