Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

It broke!

cortguitarman
cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Well, it happened. All of those high temp pizza cooks finally cracked my fire ring. I knew it would happen, but didn't expect it to happen this soon. My egg is only 7 months old. It still works fine so I'll let it ride until I get a second crack. Thank goodness for BGE's fabulous warranty.
Mark Annville, PA

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    That suuucks.  Just close your eyes when you clean out your grill.   At least it's not your dome.
    :)
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Mine recently broke also. Not in any hurry to get it fixed but I guess I should.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • 10Driver
    10Driver Posts: 88
    Was your fire ring a newer one with a built in break?
  • Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    I thought everything but the fire "grate" was warranted.  My grate cracked and the dealer told me that was the only thing that was not covered. 

Maybe 10Driver is asking a question that might shed some light on what's covered.
    OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Sub'd for future reference
    Boom
  • chuff
    chuff Posts: 255
    I cracked my fire ring a couple of weeks ago during a pizza cook. I'm not even sure my egg is a month old yet. I'm not sure why they added the expansion crack into the new fireboxes but didn't put one in the fire ring as well. I'm not too worried about it.
    XL BGE
  • cortguitarman
    10Driver said:

Was your fire ring a newer one with a built in break?

Yes. I have the XL with the built in break in the fire box. It was the fire ring on top of the fire box that cracked.

What temps have you been using for your pizza? 

600 for the pizzas. We've done 4 or 5 pizza marathons where the temps were sustained for 5-6 hours at a time.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Logger said:
    I thought everything but the fire "grate" was warranted.  My grate cracked and the dealer told me that was the only thing that was not covered. 

Maybe 10Driver is asking a question that might shed some light on what's covered.
    My warranty covers dome, base, fire box and fire ring to the original purchaser.......forever, or until I die, which to me is forever. 
    the fire grate is limited five year. 
    I'd get on the fire ring as soon as possible, get a new one incase you have multiple future cracks. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    My firebox with the split in cracked I got a new one under warranty no problems. The cracked one I have kept as a spare it still worked fine. Seemed to get a lot more airflow which would make sense on the cracked one. Duane at BGE was a pleasure to deal with as always.
    Lynnwood WA
  • jay75
    jay75 Posts: 153
    Well your problem was with the og equipment. You bought an xl! Allright Allright I digress, but still get a replacement immediately, K, still shoulda got a large! They never fail rite!. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • cortguitarman
    jay75 said:

Well your problem iwas with the og equipment. You bought an xl! Allright Allright I digress, but still get a replacement immediately, K, still shoulda got a large! They never fail rite!. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

No regrets on the XL. You can't do this on a large.

Mark Annville, PA
  • jay75
    jay75 Posts: 153
    Ohhh! I gotta bite!.... Jus playin >:)