Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How many hours a week do you work?

13»

Comments

• Typically 40 but as high as 55 in busy season. I'm on vacation right now. Has anybody posted ever posted from San Pedro Ambergris Caye Belize?

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    This summer it's been about 10-12 hrs/week. But usually it's about 10-12/ day. Starting at about 4 am. To steal the term. I'm also self unemployed
    context is important :)
  • gee
    gee Posts: 71
    What is time off? Self employed and proud farmer. I love my job! Doing the work to help put meat and produce on the egg!
    Who cares I'll post where I want
  • Self employed, lately been about 4-6hrs a day. I can work from the boat as well so that's a plus.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• FxLynch said:

FxLynch said:

Usually 40 hrs at the hospital Mon-Thurs with 3 day weekends every week, but I'm really looking for a career change.

What ya do at the hospital?

I spend about 50+ hr a week at the hospital.

Radiologic technologist and PACS coordinator. I'd love to do the PACS Admin job full time for a larger hospital, as it is now I'm doing both jobs at a smaller one.

Gotcha. Our PACS guy used to be like that then we needed more so he's full time PACS. I do IR nursing.

XLBGE 
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    My commute is to walk downstairs. Used to drive into boston, then switched to train. Now i walk on the porch with a coffee and read the paper.

For those throwing the retired word around... Remember we are all just on differents parts of the conveyor belt. You may be retired, but you are also closer to dropping off the end :))
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    stike said:

For those throwing the retired word around... Remember we are all just on differents parts of the conveyor belt. You may be retired, but you are also closer to dropping off the end :))
    I like that one!
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Sounds like most Eggers are working 50+ hours a week (I now average 60 not counting travel - record for me was at hospital 6 am Monday and not home until 10 pm Wednesday). Couldbe an interesting study. Are most Eggers hardworking, or does working long hours help you enjoy the relaxation of Egging even more? Which came first, the long hours or the Egg?
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Hey Stike,  I tell folks, I wake up everyday unemployed but somehow am able to make a living.  The biggest complaint I have have about being self employed is having to pay into the State's unemployment fund but because I'm self employed, I can't never draw from the fund......

I never really worry about counting hours.  If it's a fun job, hours seem like minutes....if it's a not so fun job, hours seem like days......I prefer minutes.......

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    40-45 plus an hour commute everyday. Avoid weekends at all costs. Six weeks vacation plus ten holidays a year. Trying to live more and more on my terms.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Teacher here. I spend 0 hours per week in July & August unless I choose to pick up some side handyman jobs. However, when school starts, it is 50-60 hrs per week. 10-20 of those are after school unpaid hours. However, the 2 month vacation during the summer is nice.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    IT guy here, so I work way too much.  If I averaged the first 10 years in this industry for me I would say 80+ hours a week.  The last 5 years have been closer to 65 hours, not counting commute and all the crazy business travel (which lost it's novelty for me many years ago).  I try not to complain too much though though because 1) the money enables hobbies like the big green egg - and many others, and 2) no one listens.

:)

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    40-45 plus an hour commute everyday. Avoid weekends at all costs. Six weeks vacation plus ten holidays a year. Trying to live more and more on my terms.

dang 6 weeks is sweet. I get 5 but that's combining sick, vacation, and personal. And I only get 5 holidays a year in which I work every other one.
    Boom
  • GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    I am a sales consultant for an orthopedic company at 100% commission. My job requires me to be on call 24/7, and I have no idea when I am getting home when I leave every day.  Some weeks I work 30 or 40 hours, and some weeks during the peak trauma season I may go a couple of days without coming home.  I also average about 1000 miles/ week of driving from hospital to hospital.  I took 3 days off last year, and I have taken 4 days off this year so far.  Most weekends I have to work at least a couple of hours a day.  

It's a lot of work, but I love it.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • I'm a video engineer for live shows and events. I usually work out of state. I average 60hrs a week but occasionally go over 100 when there's a lot of rehearsals or it's a huge show. Around the holidays when events die down I usually get a week or two off. I only get to egg about 1 week out of the month when I'm home :(
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Law Enforcement--too damn many.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I once worked 38 hours straight. Not one break or any rest of any kind. It was on a mountain in Afghanistan back in 08. Needless to say, I was highly motivated to keep working. It was in my own self interest.  :ar!
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    The long hours have begun. Back to school/work today. I'll have a little break until the first papers need graded.

@travisstrick I can't top your 38 hours, nor do I want to for several reasons. Thanks for your service so I can have students to teach.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Use to be many hours. Now just 40 a week. U S Army Retired.
  • Bayarad
    Bayarad Posts: 313
    Litigation attorney when on trial 80 plus hrs. A week when not on trial about 50 hrs. A week. Self employed and I manage about 2 weeks vacation a year, sometimes 3 weeks! Hitting Bahamas over Christmas can't wait!
  • Bayarad
    Bayarad Posts: 313
    And a shout out to the veterans and active serviceman without whose service I couldn't do what I do!
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Bayarad said:
    And a shout out to the veterans and active serviceman without whose service I couldn't do what I do!

+1 plus on that
    Outcast Posts: 112
    Use to be many hours. Now just 40 a week. U S Army Retired.
    I'm not even sure how you calculate hours per week on deployment.  Some are more intense than others.  Some its hard to tell when you are "on" and "off".  Sure is different as a civilian now :)
  • BigGreenDave
    BigGreenDave Posts: 149
    edited August 2012

travis.  i once worked 32 hours straight loading trucks during the summer.  it was hot and dusty. i thought that was bad, but no one was shooting at me.

thank you for your time and dedication.

whether you respect me or not is immaterial.  i always appreciated your input. i respect your service too

Dave Montgomery at Wheeling West Virgina
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002

travis.  i once worked 32 hours straight loading trucks during the summer.  it was hot and dusty. i thought that was bad, but no one was shooting at me.

thank you for your time and dedication.

whether you respect me or not is immaterial.  i always appreciated your input. i respect your service too

Optimisim or pessimism, respect or disrespect oversimplifies it too much. The problem is to see things as they truly are.

No worries, broseph. The forum is better with you around.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Outcast said:

Use to be many hours. Now just 40 a week. U S Army Retired.

I'm not even sure how you calculate hours per week on deployment.  Some are more intense than others.  Some its hard to tell when you are "on" and "off".  Sure is different as a civilian now :)

Your right on. I never calcated hours per week for 20 years. I was one of two thing, either working or preping for work. Since my lovely wife wouldn't let me retire retire. I work 8-4 and out the door! =D>
  • Is this the part where we hold hands and sing?
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Depends did you wash them?